Combat?! PVP viable?

85 Blood Elf Rogue
i've been playing sub and i love it and i Use Assassination for raids and heroics. But, what about combat? I just imagined one day being combat with 2 HUGE maces or swords *!@#ing #!%@ up, am i just a dreamer or can this be possible. Im talking about if there is a good potential for combat to be good
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Playing combat pvp draws more on talent then any other rogue spec as you are far less reliant on stuns and stealth.

Would still use S/F but macro a S oh equip into KS to maximise burst.

A combat rogue is a war with wtf built in
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Playing combat pvp draws more on talent then any other rogue spec as you are far less reliant on stuns and stealth.

You have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sorry.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Potential? Yes. There are a few things that need to be fixed, like combo point generation, if Main Gauche generated Combo points, I believe it would be a great step in the right direction, and if Sinister Strike either hit much harder or granted two combo points instead of one, maybe add it to the Improved Sinister Strike talent, 33 / 66 / 100% chance that sinister strike will grant an additionnal combo point.

Other then that, it has great control capabilites ( 9 second kidney shot, 6 second gouge, 3 second kick silence, deadly throw interrupt, and shorter CD on redirect to be able to redirect those 9 second stuns and ranged interrupts more often ) and decent mobility ( Improved Sprint, on Restless Blades for a root break every 30-45 seconds, and Kspree for an immune-to-everything 5x short range shadowstep, with an undispellable daze )
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Potential? Yes. There are a few things that need to be fixed, like combo point generation, if Main Gauche generated Combo points, I believe it would be a great step in the right direction, and if Sinister Strike either hit much harder or granted two combo points instead of one, maybe add it to the Improved Sinister Strike talent, 33 / 66 / 100% chance that sinister strike will grant an additionnal combo point.

Other then that, it has great control capabilites ( 9 second kidney shot, 6 second gouge, 3 second kick silence, deadly throw interrupt, and shorter CD on redirect to be able to redirect those 9 second stuns and ranged interrupts more often ) and decent mobility ( Improved Sprint, on Restless Blades for a root break every 30-45 seconds, and Kspree for an immune-to-everything 5x short range shadowstep, with an undispellable daze )

thank you thats what i want to hear, now only if there was a pvp guide for combat lol
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I've been looking into combat pvp for a few days now and you seemed to have summed up my findings pretty well Celinne.

If I may ask, what is your experience with Bandit's guile. I was thinking of not taking that since I didn't think I would be able to live long enough to get it to 30% in mass pvp like a bg.

Also, why elusiveness over quickening? Is the extra time off of CoS and vanish that good?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
[quote="21118945012"]Playing combat pvp draws more on talent then any other rogue spec as you are far less reliant on stuns and stealth.

What??? Combat rogues get a 9 sec KS...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I've been looking into combat pvp for a few days now and you seemed to have summed up my findings pretty well Celinne.

If I may ask, what is your experience with Bandit's guile. I was thinking of not taking that since I didn't think I would be able to live long enough to get it to 30% in mass pvp like a bg.

Also, why elusiveness over quickening? Is the extra time off of CoS and vanish that good?

Bandit's Guile is great when it gets to 30%, which it does vs most classes. However, it takes a lot of time which is kinda sad, but unleashing a Bandit's Guile 30% bonus damage matched with Adrenaline Rush, SnD activated, maybe expose armor, and a 9 second kidney and you sir have yourself a very powerful burst.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
combo point generation is slow for combat, its fun in bg but in arena it sucks because the burst is meh and relies on long cooldowns.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
02/21/2011 2:52 PMPosted by Mist
combo point generation is slow for combat, its fun in bg but in arena it sucks because the burst is meh and relies on long cooldowns.

True, however, you can build your team well knowing that you will not be the main source of damage (AKA don't go rogue / healer ). Go double DPS and abuse the control instead of damage.

Or go in as a cleave rogue, you'll do a lot of damage if all of your attacks are hitting two opponents.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
works for healer/dps 2's

peel is better than sub and mut
overall dmg is comparable to mut
burst is bad
survivability is good
mobility is a little better than mut, but much worse than sub

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue

Bandit's Guile is great when it gets to 30%, which it does vs most classes. However, it takes a lot of time which is kinda sad, but unleashing a Bandit's Guile 30% bonus damage matched with Adrenaline Rush, SnD activated, maybe expose armor, and a 9 second kidney and you sir have yourself a very powerful burst.

Forgot to mention quickening. Not only does it reduce the cooldown on CoS, it also reduces the cooldown on blind, further increasing the potential for control offered by the combat spec. Coup de Grace is a lot of points spent into a single finisher that dosn't hit that hard anyways, and the other talent I forgot the name of, increase critical damage of SinStrike by 30%, well see, combat has no +crit talents, so while yes I use sinister strike a whole lot, it hardly ever crits so those three talent points would not come in very handy.

It's the same reasoning for mut rogues who would like to take improved sprint, Imp.Sprint is a good talent, but to reach it you'de have to sink three talent points into precision or improved sinister strike, overall it's not worth it.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
(3/31/7) This might work. You could put the two points in elusiveness into initiative if you prefer it.
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fcZf0fbofrRGobG
Or possibly
(10/31)
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fcfbZf0fbofrRGo

I'm definitely going to be trying them out.

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
=) here is what you do for Combat PvP.

Get a Frost Mage friend. Or a Fury Warrior

Deep Freeze ---> Cheap Shot ----> Pwned

Intervene ----> POP ALL CD ----> Cheap Shot ----> Pwned

Or just get a Boomkin / Elemental Shaman to laugh =). Those classes generaly die quick but you will laugh cause if the Boomkin goes on Eclipse its gonna do 30k crits. Ele-sham Lava Bursts should be fun too.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
(3/31/7) This might work. You could put the two points in elusiveness into initiative if you prefer it.
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fcZf0fbofrRGobG
Or possibly
(10/31)
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#fcfbZf0fbofrRGo

I'm definitely going to be trying them out.

You seem to have taken all the most important talents for pvp, although I personally would go into sub after, not assass. And due to slow combo point generation, improved SnD really helps to give you time to use another finisher instead of SnD every 20 combo points.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Thanks Celinne. I see now that the first tier of assassination is pretty wasteful while it is only two additional points in tier 1 sub to get elusiveness. I am more hesitant to do bandit's guile because I anticipate a lot of target switching. Other than that, I took SnD to maximize offensive finishers for restless blades.

http://wowtal.com/#k=-ptYqD2v.aei.rogue.

What do you think of lightning reflexes? It is a lot of melee mitigation and it has a tiny damage boost.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
There's a thread complaining about improved kick in the Damage Dealing forums. You know is has to be good.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
02/21/2011 10:20 PMPosted by Jaderine
There's a thread complaining about improved kick in the Damage Dealing forums. You know is has to be good.

Yes and no. only reason it isnt that good is cuz of the DR with garrote, but then again you're not going to be garroting much with combat.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Thanks Celinne. I see now that the first tier of assassination is pretty wasteful while it is only two additional points in tier 1 sub to get elusiveness. I am more hesitant to do bandit's guile because I anticipate a lot of target switching. Other than that, I took SnD to maximize offensive finishers for restless blades.

http://wowtal.com/#k=-ptYqD2v.aei.rogue.

What do you think of lightning reflexes? It is a lot of melee mitigation and it has a tiny damage boost.

If you're playing in arenas and rated BG's, you can bypass Bandit's Guile since you'll have someone else there to be dealing the damage, but if you plan on using combat for world pvp, 1v1 and duels, then I suggest you take it because it really does show when you're at 30% and you pop Adrush + trinket + 9 second kidney shot.

As for Lightning Reflexes, if you look at my current specs I have it in both, it's better than Reinforced Leather as a defensive ability in my opinion and dodge is good against all melee, whereas armor is not.

Posted by Jaderine

Yes and no. only reason it isnt that good is cuz of the DR with garrote, but then again you're not going to be garroting much with combat

Yup, unless you use kidney shot to restealth every 20 seconds then you'll only be using garrote once or twice in fights, so improved kick is very useful. It's what makes combat rely less on stealth, kick silence, 9 second kidney shots, and...well... combat rogues don't use ambush so they don't really need something to replace it, but I guess Killing Spree could fill that role.
Edited by Celinne on 2/22/2011 6:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]