Topic Welcome to Tol Barad!
[TLDR: Anything is possible, the impossible just takes longer]
I'm sure many, both on Alliance and Horde, who battle for Tol Barad regularly are familiar with me. However, my biggest enemy thus far is not the opposing faction... believe it or not it's the random TB queue selector; especially during the twilight hours of the day.
WINNING AND LOSING >> VIDI VICI VENI
- TB has been tweaked so that it changes hands more often
- Winning is always great, especially when the opposing faction puts up a good fight
- Losing can be expected from time to time; but don't worry, your faction will win TB back, as defending it is no longer as easy as it was in the past
TIMINGS >> SEMPER FIDELIS
- Battles occurs on a fixed cycle every 2 hrs 30 mins
- The only time this changes is if a server restart occurs during a battle or within the 15 mins before battle
- Should this occur, the 15 min queue timer will restart again when the server is back up
BE GEARED, GEMMED and CHANTED >> ESTOTE PARATI
- Try your best to obtain a decent set of PvP gear; via crafting, honor or conquest points
- Fill out your gem slots with appropriate gems; your primary stat and resilience are good choices
- Level 85 head and shoulder PvP enchants can be purchased with honor and TB tokens
- Enchanting mats can also be purchased with honor and justice points
- Level 80 leg patches on the AH are usually a great buy if you're on a tight budget
ADD-ONS >> CITIUS
- SaySapped: required mod for any level of PvP (sorry rogues)
- auto-release mod: save precious seconds, don't want to miss the rez (any recommendations?)
- TB countdown timer (I use Capping)
BUFFS >> ALTISU
- Class buffs: any time you're able to give it out, do it!
- Healing circles: if it's healing you, stand in it, else move away from it
- Lightwells: if it's clickable, click it, else move away from it
- Hellscream's Reach Battle Standard: great when assaulting a base and fending off a heavy assault
- Guild Battle Standard: more honor helps with gearing up
CONSUMABLES >> FORTIUS
- Flasks: for the truly serious combatants
- Food/Drinks: downtime? eat/mana up! next wave inc in 5 secs!
- Healthstone/Mage Table: nice to have especially on defensive positions
- Hellscream's Reach Mana Potion
- Hellscream's Reach Healing Potion
- Hellscream's Reach Bandage
STRATS >> INVICTA
- Attackers: divide et impera
- Defenders: ubi concordia, ibi victoria
- The most common error I've seen is the believe that the same strats can be used for both attacking and defending or that the old (TB 1.0) strats still work
COMBAT >> DE OPPRESSO LIBER
- Healers are force multipliers
- If you're able, know who the healers are for BOTH your team AND the enemy
- Heal them, peel them and innervate them
- Kill enemy healers or run them out of mana
LEADERSHIP >> E PLURIBUS UNUM
- A leader with a good understanding of both attacking and defending TB is half the battle
- He would also have to overcome numerous challenges, such as:
- communicating effectively with one or more raids
- overcoming leadership conflicts
- fog of war, poor/incorrect intel
- simply a better and more skillful opposition
- However, for each defeat, he analyzes what went wrong to learn from it
END OF BATTLE >> LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND
- Many have a habit of dropping the raid immediately after the battle, however I recommend that everyone remain grouped until all the enemy combatants are no longer in the vicinity
- Many times, those who drop are also the same one who complain that people just run pass them with no one stopping to help when attacked by the opposing faction
- Stay in raid, call out over raid chat, if others are close by and able, they will usually come to your aid; I would, even if I know I will die trying
THANK YOU >> ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY
I'll like to thank everyone for their tremendous support. From the Horde, I get whispers of thanks and also the occasional "gratz you're on my ignore" (I'm sorry but it's the nature of the beast). From the Alliance, the few who pops over once in a while to let me know I had put up a good fight, and also the few whom I've upset whose whispers I'm unable to repeat (what's up with that?!).
I also like to thank everyone for their heals and peels on me, your efforts for keeping me alive is greatly appreciated.
Lastly, please understand it's not possible for any one person to guarantee that your faction will win every single time attacking or defending. Nonetheless, I will put in my best effort whenever I'm there for everyone to have a great game; I hope you would too!
Thank you for playing Tol Barad; I look forward in meeting everyone in battle!
Edited by Bitbyte on 3/1/12 5:16 PM (PST)
Tol Barad Report
01MAR2011-0900st to 28FEB2012-0859st (52 weeks)
75.80% Horde controlled
24.20% Alliance controlled
25.54% Alliance wins Attack
20.00% Alliance wins Defence
80.00% Horde wins Attack
74.46% Horde wins Defence
Edited by Chizu on 2/21/11 11:38 AM (PST)
Hey Bit! We almost held WV with just two healers. Almost won, just too many stuns.
This is a great read on what to do and what not to do for TB. I could only hope people could follow this. Which means I need to follow it. 'Cause I got no enchants for my pvp gear. Just tinkers.
Liked and voted for sticky
Much appreciated...you have crossed the Rubicon by the sounds of it :D !! (Bitbyte)
Does anyone know if the battle standard(s) are on the same cooldown if you have more than one??? Just wondering what to do with the Tol Barad Commendations :) . Either another battle standard or a gull.
It is an amazing difference, which sadly I have contributed to, in the chat and raid guidance between horde and alliance in TB. With Bitbyte stepping up the game-play as leader/healer for the Horde in TB and directing traffic, Alliance is having a much more difficult time since there isn't an equivalent yet. It is more flames and name calling than an attempt at providing direction.
Very good read, definitely going to have to direct some folks to the forums to check this out.