What are your best tanking addons?

85 Worgen Druid
So, as a general rule, I like to avoid using addons when I tank. I feel like I should be able to do my job with the tools that Blizz gave me, instead of having to download a completely different program. There's also the problem that, if you ever find yourself WITHOUT addons, your performance can be crippled.

However, the other day, I was recommended the addon skullme by a person in a heroic I was tanking, and I have to say...It's AWESOME. As a bear tank, my weakest area is my aoe threat. Skullme solves this problem by automatically marking your current target with a skull (or any other raid marker) after a set number of seconds.

What this means, is that I can go into a heroic, tell the DPS to attack whatever monster is skulled, and the problem of aoe threat practically vanishes. Swipe and thrash are sufficient for aoe tanking when you don't have multiple DPS attacking multiple targets. And since bears DO excel at single target threat, this addon has significantly improved my "quality of life" in tanking in heroics.

So, my question is this: has anyone else been recommended, or just happened to download, an addon that you felt made an enormous change in how you tank? Please share!
Reply Quote
Honestly, no. I tried Tidyplates: Threatplates and it wasn't as revolutionary an experience as everyone described so I'm back to using default Blizzard bars. There is nothing wrong with Tidyplates at all, I just didn't need it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Are you that lazy to mark your targets? Keybind all the marks to your number pad and it is just as easy.

Tidy plates will make your tanking experience a lot easier as well.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Eh, I'd argue that "automatic" is always easier than keybinding and pressing something. And, since I'm usually spamming my other attacks (lacerate, pulverize, mangle, and the like) I just feel like it's ten times easier to just have an addon that does it automatically, and lets you just focus on tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
i use quickmark for markings, and tidy threatplate, thats it.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I imagine this will be the standard answer (and already kindof is), but tidy plates : threat plates is exceptionally useful unless you are perfect, which I definitely aren't.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
default blizzard UI + Omen threat meters, DBM, recount and for pally tanks/healing DeCursive is all i need.

Actually these are the only addons I run with period on any toon. I love LOLing at everyone else with thier addons that significantly change thier UI when they bug out after patches and they cant play.

Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
02/21/2011 8:41 PMPosted by Cetsy
i use quickmark for markings, and tidy threatplate, thats it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
02/21/2011 8:29 PMPosted by Tarand
However, the other day, I was recommended the addon skullme by a person in a heroic I was tanking, and I have to say...It's AWESOME. As a bear tank, my weakest area is my aoe threat. Skullme solves this problem by automatically marking your current target with a skull (or any other raid marker) after a set number of seconds.

The big problem with Skullme (or just telling DPS to /assist). Druid threat is primarily done via single-target moves. I never stay on a target for more then 2-3 GCDs if there are still multiple mobs being fought. If I have (3) mobs up, it's FFF the primary, Mangle the primary, Thrash if safe, Lacerate the secondaries, switch back and Lacerate the primary, then constant re-targeting as I apply Mangle/Maul to different mobs in the pack.

Secondly, you should be moving the skull around manually anyway. If there's something CC'd, then you should be changing the CC mark to a skull before breaking it. It's the best way to communicate, on the fly, that it is okay for DPS to now kill that mob and that the CC person no longer has to keep tabs on it.

(Not that hard to key-bind {skull} to something easy to hit like [G] or the [zero] key on the number pad where you can tap it with your right-thumb.)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Omen, DBM, recount and power auras is all I use. I just use recount for the logs, to compare things like damage taken and healing.
Reply Quote
98 Tauren Warrior
I used to macro Skull with my Shield Slam (primary single-target threat gen), but people seemed to get confused when I had to tab-target. I will refrain from using anything like that again.

I like TidyPlates (ThreatPlates isn't all it's cracked up to be but the default TidyPlates theme works very well).

I use Skada with two windows: one for threat/overall damage and another for instantaneous dps/overal damage taken (in combat/out of combat; love the autoswitching Skada does).

As long as I mark a Skull, and people pay attention to it, I can keep threat on it while tab-targeting to the other mobs. Once Skull is dead (and people are actually single-targeting it) the other mobs will have enough threat on them that focus-fire isn't important.

I also use RaidMobMarker, which places a bar on your screen with the marks, a ready check button, and the ability to assign/announce marks. It also has a macro command ("/rmm #") for marking in macros.

I also have Healbot up and running on my tank for status reports (I never could get used to Grid or the other party frame addons; I just use Blizzard Raid frames).
Edited by Kuroyi on 2/22/2011 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
I currently use:

Threat Master

I like tidyplates because it makes it easier to see if I lose aggro on something and Threat Master gives me an easy interface to taunt a target off of someone.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
whilst i sometimes wish to have one of those snazzy integrated UIs, im just lousy at all this customising.

so i keep it simple.

dominos for action bar.
(recently playing around with xperl, not sure if ill stick with it tho)

oh,and an addon to cancel those error messages.cant remember name offhand.
Edited by Gulig on 2/22/2011 9:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I use many of the addons listed here but ill also list 1 that i havent seen listed yet.

You can find it on curse, as a warrior tank (and any other class/spec) for that matter i find this addon AMAZING what it does is it displays a icon wherever u want on ur screen that will show silence/stun effects on urself, and silence/stun on ur target.

Comes in real hand when theres a really painful caster or sumfin ill pull everything to me shokwave it all and just as shokwave wears off which i can clearly see from the addon ill then be prepared to silence or re-stun the target.

Heres a image of it in action if your curious.

Its the icon just to the left of my char.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As a tank, i use SimpleRaidIcons which works where you double click a mob and a wheel with all the raidmarkers comes up over your mouse cursor
I also use Recount for Damage taken/fails
DBM/BigWigs - i like BigWigs better but some of their timers are off
TauntMaster for heroics (yea im lazy) - I turn it off in raids cause it goes crazy in there
And IceHud so i can see my health and Holy Power in the middle of my screen
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Tidyplates threatplates and Tauntmaster are the only tank specific add-ons I use. You could probably get by without any special tank add-ons at all but threatplates helps a bunch on certain fights with adds.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Tidyplates is really helpful
Omen is helpful also.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Bison. Lots of buffs on my UI bothers me. I like them to be tiny so I can see more of what's going on.

I don't use Omen; my stance is that as a tank you either have aggro or you don't and unless you're the offtank, nothing in between matters. In most situations, at least.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)