Elemental spell rotation support.

85 Draenei Shaman
Im using the obvious, and recommended rotation of

FS-LvB-2LB-CL-LB-LvB.

trying to keep FS up 100% of the time, casting LvB when its off CD, and using Fulmination 7-9 stacks.

Being fully raid buffed, and blowing CDs when active, i cant seem to really get past 14-15k.

Considering my ilvl and fiddling with Simcraft, im doing much less than is expected from my quality of gear. In my guild raid logs im avg about 94% active time. and Simcraft's ## are based off 100%, is 6% the difference between 14k and 21k? (also, no heroism active, 6 minute fight, patchwork settings) I also realize that when raiding im not standing in the same spot spamming, but there are a lot of fights where there isnt a whole lot of movement, and i still cant get that high.

Im just posting this to see if there is anything i am missing either in my rotation or use of buffs/cds. Any and all -productive- comments are appreciated. Anyone just wanting to insult can keep it to themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
If you are sticking to that rotation religiously that is a problem. Elemental shaman have a priority system instead and if you stick to this rotation you are probably losing out by letting your lava surge procs sit there. You also made no mention of fire totems but I would assume that you are keeping searing totem up while working in your fire elemental during opportune times.

You seem to be logged out as resto so I dont know if that is your ele gear that you are wearing.

The other thing that might be cutting into your damage is latency, look into getting an addon like quartz which will show you your latency to help queue up spells faster.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
CL is a dps loss unless you are hitting more than 1 target. Elemental has a priority system so you have to look and understand what is going on with fulmination stacks while keeping track of how much time is left on Flame Shock. The sticky at the top is a pretty good read.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Yeah like the guys above say.

Flameshock up all the time. Lavaburst when up. Fulmination when needed. other wise LB. Also what i do is elemental mastery at the start of the fight so i can have it more than once. When boss is around 35 percent or when we need to do more damage i let out the fire elemental. I don't think what totems dropped really matter since other classes do our buffs but i still like to drop them anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Im using the obvious, and recommended rotation of

FS-LvB-2LB-CL-LB-LvB

Uhh. What is obvious or recommended about this rotation?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
After reading this thread it appears as though I am using the wrong totems while DPSing. I usually have Flametongue Totem up for the additional spell damage. Should I be using Searing or Magma as a default instead? While I do want my own numbers to be good for DPS I usually try to buff so the group does the most possible damage.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
The last time elemental shamans had a rotation, Arthas was still alive.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Totemic Wrath's 10% spellpower bonus works on all fire totems and overwrites Flametongue Totem's 6% bonus--dropping Searing Totem is always a better choice. Magma Totem should be for AoE only.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Thanks! This helps me a great deal. I will reorganize my totems tonight!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Another minor tip... Flame elemental totem is based on your spell power when you cast it. So at the start of the fight my Volcano trinket procs, i use my Jeweled Serpent for that SP buff, and then I use the Flame elemental. It's not huge, but it's just something to be conscious of since we're all probably popping our trinkets right away anyway. Just do it before using the totem.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I meant its the obvious rotation because i dont use frost shock, earthquake, primal strike or any other pointless spell that doesnt help with single target elemental DPS.

I did happen to log out under resto spec, but the gear is the same. I know my gear has more crit then i should have, but the right gear hasnt dropped for me yet. I do keep my fire totems (searing, elemental) up at all times.

Taking a raid fight like Halfus for example. Being asked to stick to Halfus for the sake of interupts, I dont move that often unless Time drake is up and i can see the fireballs coming, anyway, i would expect a high dps from there, using CL to also hit the drakes next to Halfus. I still dont get as high as the simcraft shows.

CL was suggested to me to use since it has a reduced cast time and can still add a Fulmination stack and proc from mastery. I utilize Spiritwalkers' grace for the long run times, and use Unleash Weapons, Thunderstorm, earthshock if its on CD.

Just depressing because even placing as top 3 in DPS, my raid leader says i dont pull enough and then i get subbed out.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
yea ele is not a solid rotation anymore it is a priority system

* Fire DPS totem down (Searing, Fire Elemental)
* Flame Shock DoT on the target
* Lava Burst (whenever it's up)
* Earth Shock (7-9 charges of Lightning Shield)
* Lightning Bolt filler

LB all threw that as well but thats the priority system atleast imo and on EJ
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Unleash Elements not worth using before LvB, or just nobody mentioned it?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
TotemTalk did an article and did not recommend using Unleash Elements. Loss of GCD isn't worth the increased spell damage.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/25/2011 8:02 PMPosted by Boshnak
Unleash Elements not worth using before LvB, or just nobody mentioned it?

Not worth it

You'll get more damage from simply casting another LB than you will from the increased LvB
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I see, probably good when you're re-positioning but compared to another global, it's a dps loss.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/25/2011 8:27 PMPosted by Epidra
Loss of GCD isn't worth the increased spell damage.

Sorry, what is "GCD"?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
The second penalty between casting spells. A global cooldown.

@others: the problem with simulations like femaledwarf is that it highly overrates things like haste, and assumes you never have to move or screw up.'

It's not telling you the damage you will do. If you can do 80% of your sim, you're doing fine.
Edited by Waves on 2/28/2011 6:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The second penalty between casting spells. A global cooldown.

@others: the problem with simulations like femaledwarf is that it highly overrates things like haste, and assumes you never have to move or screw up.'

It's not telling you the damage you will do. If you can do 80% of your sim, you're doing fine.

Assuming you never have to move undervalues haste, as faster casts allow you to get more off before you have to move. Just sayin >.>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]