How many people does a WoW server hold?

(Locked)

100 Troll Hunter
How many people can one world of warcraft realm hold at one time?
90 Gnome Mage
I'd imagine 2-3 depending on the weight of the people and the surface area of the top of the server.
90 Tauren Druid
I'm going to guess/bet.

I'd say 5-10k. $100
85 Orc Death Knight
Well coming from a full server that has often locked in the past I can give you a fair idea.

In each popular leveling zone, hellfire peninsula, STV, you have around 80 people.

In mid popular leveling zones, Zangramarsh, Howling Fjord, you have around 30.

In not so popular zones you have around 30 total from all of them.

In Org/Stormwind you have about 1000 people per city (balancing out server pop), Ironforge has around 200 and all the other horde cities combine have around that much.

In cata leveling zones you have around 200 at once.

In TB (both islands combined) you have aprox 250 people at once.

It all comes down to around 7500 people.
Edited by Dethstryk on 2/24/2011 8:43 AM PST
90 Gnome Mage
02/24/2011 8:46 AMPosted by Elgush
I'd imagine 2-3 depending on the weight of the people and the surface area of the top of the server.

At least we know you're not talking about American people, one would do to smash it to a bizillion parts.

<--American

I weigh more than your achievement points.

But it's only 2 pounds more, and I'm 6'7", and pretty well in shape.
100 Night Elf Hunter
There is no set cap, as far as I understand.

But things start to get icky if there's over 6K people logged on at one time into the persistent world.

All the instancing in the game, however, help alleviate that by keeping people jumping into and out of different servers.

Each continent is on a server, each instance runs on a server, each battleground/arena runs on a server... everything is really sharded now.

But if everyone decided to go to someplace like the Barrens - all at the same time, probably like 6K before the game turns into a slide show and you start seeing "Server will restart in 5 minutes" messages.
85 Blood Elf Priest
If you're 6'7 why are you playing a gnome? :O
84 Blood Elf Paladin
02/24/2011 9:01 AMPosted by Synaesthesïa

Catharsis
85 Dwarf Paladin
I actually read somewhere that a low pop server is 7-10k, med is 12-15k and high is 18-20k. Of course that's actual accounts that play on a server and they all won't be logged in at the same time.
71 Dwarf Warrior
02/24/2011 9:04 AMPosted by Dhystopia

Catharsis

It's true. It's the same reason I play a screaming mad warrior yet want to work with kids.
90 Gnome Mage

Everywhere I go, I'm the tallest person I see. Why would I want that in a game as well? Plus gnome + goggles = win.
100 Dwarf Paladin
02/24/2011 8:31 AMPosted by Flamethrøwer

Nah, server racks are stronger than that. It's unrealistic to find the actual figure, as the people would have to all be stacked one-atop-the-other (racks are only 17" x 2~3')

Server 'populations' are from sub 1k (I think 4 us realms are 7/8/9 hundo) to upwards of 6.5k - whether that's accounts, toons, 85's...no idea.
70 Undead Priest
When I used to run a census addon I would regularly see about 1500 on during the early afternoon and 2500 in the evening hours, per faction. The server seemed to enter a queue over 2500, but I don't know if that was based on total realm population.

I'd suggest you look at http://www.warcraftrealms.com/ but I can't speak for the data the last year or so.

Edit, Yikes, my number must be real old: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/activity.php
Edited by Caylee on 2/24/2011 9:53 AM PST
32 Undead Mage

If you're human, why are you playing a blood elf?

Everywhere I go, I'm the tallest person I see. Why would I want that in a game as well? Plus gnome + goggles = win.

This is something most just can't picture, let alone believe that some will always choose to play the opposite extreme. If I had a nickel for every time my head hit something that others have to jump for I'd use it to pay my monthly fee. If I had a penny for every curse word I used when I earned that nickel, I'd buy stock in the company.
90 Night Elf Druid

Round is a shape!

But is it a good shape?
90 Gnome Mage
02/24/2011 9:30 AMPosted by Kellann

Nah, server racks are stronger than that. It's unrealistic to find the actual figure, as the people would have to all be stacked one-atop-the-other (racks are only 17" x 2~3')

Oh, the rack? Sure. I was just talking about the actual server itself.
63 Troll Rogue
On Scarlet Crusade, we've managed to crash Northrend before on our way to do a massive 300+ person Stormwind City raid. Too many people on the boats.
100 Night Elf Druid
Upwards of 15,000 I'd imagine. But remember that not all will be online at the exact time. Online? Probably 8 to 10 thousand. Just a guess, though.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]