Massive Warrior Changes

81 Gnome Death Knight
02/28/2011 8:42 PMPosted by Zarko
Wonder what they're going to do with Shield Block. Doesn't seem to make much sense at 30s anymore, but I don't ever really understand how they think of kit.

Yeah, 20% at 30 seconds would be kind of OP'd maybe. Since Warriors are currently modeled at hitting it on CD delaying it for extra magical mitigation may be an interesting trade off although the numbers in my head are saying it won't be much of one.

... Other Ramblings ...

I don't think anyway is saying spell reflect dooms the warrior to uselessness in 5 mans but it does take out some of the fun factor. I wish I could have seen the face of a brand new warrior in a pug I taught to spell reflect in Old Kingdom of all places. All I saw was the text "20k?!"

The shield bash vs pummel makes sense logically but it does take away a little flavor.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
02/28/2011 9:03 PMPosted by Migol
@Ahti: They may just have realized that no warrior would de-equip mirror, EVER, without this change.

Yeah, that's true.

Why would you deequip Mirror for a fight that it's useful for anyway?

Well, in 4.1 we may not, but there's 4.2 and 4.3 after that. At some point you're looking at giving up a massive amount of 100%-uptime EH (in the form of a stam trinket) or a ton of physical damage reduction (in the form of a mastery/avoidance trinket with a lot more rating than the BH trinket) for a once-per-minute magic reduction use effect.

At some point the opportunity cost for using an ilevel-359 trinket will be too big; it's just a matter of when.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Happy about:

Tier 8 bonus is finally in the game for good, awesome change.
Shield Bash being deleted, two almost identical abilities weren't necessary.
Heroic Throw at level 20, should have been done at the start of Cata.

Indifferent about:
Spell Reflect on a much longer cooldown, pretty lame for prot pvp, though maybe it can work on more stuff now in pvp and pve.

Not happy about:
Gag order not working on Pummel. For as long as I've been tanking, if I've come up against a pack of mobs with two casters, and couldn't line of sight easily, I'd heroic throw one and charge>shield bash the other, silencing both to gather them up quickly. Not being able to do this any more is a bit annoying.

Also Gag Order taking two talent points is pretty out of whack, maybe throw something else on it (maybe Heroic Throw's cooldown is reduced even more, or better yet HT now applies Rend or something).

Inner Rage hasn't been deleted yet. Warriors would work fine without it, it's a failed ability, just flush it.

Oh and while unnecessary duplicate abilites are being deleted, get rid of Intercept, give Fury charge in combat as well, let Warbringer reduce the charge cooldown to 8 seconds or something. There's too much stuff on my action bars.
Edited by Rarar on 2/28/2011 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Indifferent about:
Spell Reflect on a much longer cooldown, pretty lame for prot pvp, though maybe it can work on more stuff now in pvp and pve.

They announced changes to the DK Dark Simulacrum ability to the effect that it would work on more spells. The similarity between the abilities makes me optimistic about this, even though it would mean the devs are going against 6 years of tradition.

Oh and while unnecessary duplicate abilites are being deleted, get rid of Intercept, give Fury charge in combat as well, let Warbringer reduce the charge cooldown to 8 seconds or something. There's too much stuff on my action bars.

A castsequence macro with a reset timer can consolidate charge and intercept into one button.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well, in 4.1 we may not, but there's 4.2 and 4.3 after that. At some point you're looking at giving up a massive amount of 100%-uptime EH (in the form of a stam trinket) or a ton of physical damage reduction (in the form of a mastery/avoidance trinket with a lot more rating than the BH trinket) for a once-per-minute magic reduction use effect.

At some point the opportunity cost for using an ilevel-359 trinket will be too big; it's just a matter of when.

Well, the thing about Mirror is that the value of the on-use remains pretty much constant until we level up, and there aren't any equivalent itemization options. You are right that there will probably be fewer and fewer fights where it is worthwhile to equip as we go up in tier, but any fight where the main threat to us is a heavy magical spike is probably a fight we're going to wear Mirror for, regardless of what tier we're in. Unless they add an equivalent trinket with a higher item-level, of course.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/28/2011 10:01 PMPosted by Anothriel
Well, the thing about Mirror is that the value of the on-use remains pretty much constant until we level up, and there aren't any equivalent itemization options. You are right that there will probably be fewer and fewer fights where it is worthwhile to equip as we go up in tier, but any fight where the main threat to us is a heavy magical spike is probably a fight we're going to wear Mirror for, regardless of what tier we're in. Unless they add an equivalent trinket with a higher item-level, of course.

Mirror + Sindra's Fang is like ~65% average resist without buffs/auras, cooldowns not linked. That's really powerful.

I'm a DK, though, so I don't need that.

Otherwise I might actually consider situationally using it and just taking the HP loss.
Edited by Euliat on 2/28/2011 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

Not happy about:
Gag order not working on Pummel. For as long as I've been tanking, if I've come up against a pack of mobs with two casters, and couldn't line of sight easily, I'd heroic throw one and charge>shield bash the other, silencing both to gather them up quickly. Not being able to do this any more is a bit annoying.

Also Gag Order taking two talent points is pretty out of whack, maybe throw something else on it (maybe Heroic Throw's cooldown is reduced even more, or better yet HT now applies Rend or something).

Inner Rage hasn't been deleted yet. Warriors would work fine without it, it's a failed ability, just flush it.

1) Pummel still has the spell school lockout so it will still pull creatures as long as u get the interupt on the spell.

2) Inner rage is a gr8 ability if your not using it your just wasting your rage. Period.

3) Learn to use the warbringer macro already. Zzzzz
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm almost certain the SR nerf went in because of the change to spells that let DKs steal more things - I think we'll get more attacks that can be bounced.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Here's a bit of clarification on the Shield Mastery Protection talent (the notes were just updated to reflect this): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2356431

The specific mechanic is that if you have the Shield Mastery talent, then your Shield Block procs a second effect called Spell Block. Spell Block reduces magic damage by 7/14/20% for 6 seconds.

We also just added new notes for the Strikes of Opportunity (Arms) and Unshackled Fury (Fury) mastery bonuses, so be sure to check those out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
It's a great buff to be sure, more than I personally ever expected at any rate.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
6 seconds duration hm?

So I'm guessing this is a spike eater and not so much a mana saver. Still is pretty awesome for Warriors though on such a nice CD.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
03/01/2011 12:03 PMPosted by Zarhym
The specific mechanic is that if you have the Shield Mastery talent, then your Shield Block procs a second effect called Spell Block. Spell Block reduces magic damage by 7/14/20% for 6 seconds.

This is too strong for 30s cooldown.

Reply Quote
23 Troll Hunter
Here's a bit of clarification on the Shield Mastery Protection talent (the notes were just updated to reflect this): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2356431

We also just added new notes for the Strikes of Opportunity (Arms) and Unshackled Fury (Fury) mastery bonuses, so be sure to check those out.

I don't care about our PvP burst.

The mastery nerf pretty much offsets every other buff you made for PvE since the CS nerf. Quit trying to balance PvP and PvE together, it's just not going to work.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Mmmmmm 20%.

*grabs cup to collect every other tanks tears*

What you fail to understand is they'll be your tears too sooner than you think. That's how the QQ cycle works.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
The most irritating thing about the spell reflect change will be rage starvation on Grand Vizier Etran in Vortex Pinnacle.

In PvE, anyways. In PvP, it's a huge nerf to prot, but they never really tried to balance prot in PvP anyways (and I don't blame them for that).

Wait a minute, why are you even in prot spec for that guy? I always go dps. I even hold threat while doing it. :P
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
6 seconds duration hm?

So I'm guessing this is a spike eater and not so much a mana saver. Still is pretty awesome for Warriors though on such a nice CD.

Which only further strengthens my disappointment in this direction. Yes, at first glance the idea seemed great but you need to take a longer look at it from how Shield Block is CURRENTLY used.

We're either going to continue using SB the way we always have, in which case it will rarely if ever align with magic burst...

Or we'll only use it as a defensive cooldown when it's warranted, and thus significantly increase the amount of avoidable damage we take, generate less rage, proc fewer Enrages, and nerf Heavy Repercussions in the process.

All things considered, I don't really consider this a win in the strictest sense. More like a begrudging nod to Warrior problems. -edit- Especially when combined with the straight up butchering of Spell Reflect.

Wait a minute, why are you even in prot spec for that guy? I always go dps. I even hold threat while doing it. :P

Passive damage reduction, shorter SR cooldown, and of course for me, ER that does a pretty good chunk of healing the healer doesn't have to...oh and Shield Wall if things go sideways (because somebody failed...again...at understanding the fight).
Edited by Feandel on 3/1/2011 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Ima need a cup for my drool.

~drool
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]