Unholy PVE Guide (5.2)

90 Human Death Knight
Something happened to me on ultrax last night that I haven't seen before:

My Dark Transformation activates a good 1-2 GCDs later than my 5th death coil. Is this a bug with the latest build? Or just server lag? It did terrible things to my performance.

If I understand correctly, it may be caused due to the travel time of the death coil. The coil does not hit instantly, so it may take a second to buff up the ghoul.
Edited by Virulentus on 5/1/2012 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hereby necroing some quibbles about:
1) RP capping during runic corruption
2) Value of expertise during runic corruption

---------------------------------

1) During Unholy Frenzy, or when Runic Corruption cramp procs: There is resource overflow and your runes are coming back faster than you can spend it. This is especially true if Sudden Doom also decides to cramp proc.

Q1a: In that case, do you ignore death coils and spend your runes?

Q1b: I've noticed that when you have 4 death runes and 2 unholy runes, the ScS spending order is uh-uh-blood-blood-frost-frost. However, because we have runic corruption instead of runic empowerment, this gives us no benefit, and only makes our attacks less efficient. Relative to staying safe with resources and trying to prevent blackouts, is keeping all your runes in a recharging state more important or less important?

Q1c: all in all, what is the correct priority when you are flooded with resources?

------------------------------

2) Runes can be faster spent is we have more expertise during such "rich" periods. RC and UF mechanics help our runes return faster, and these "pressure periods" are less efficient if we are spending too many GCDs to expend but a single rune.

I can try to do some calculations to figure this out, but I think this issue is hard to quantify.

Q2: Any thoughts?
Edited by Sábér on 5/1/2012 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/29/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Stunlockk
im still only pulling like 23k any help to up my dps?
only pulling like 23k

I can't even get mine too 20k on LFR Ultrax as UH :/, i just suck period...
/lesigh
Reply Quote
1 Undead Hunter
It doesn't look like you're gemming to what the guide says, if you can run a world of logs we could better judge what you're doing, Dáriuse.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Rickjamesbtc
It doesn't look like you're gemming to what the guide says, if you can run a world of logs we could better judge what you're doing, Dáriuse.
Oh, sorry. No no this isn't my raiding gear, just my posting gear. What's bad is one time in LFR, a dk same spec as me was doing more dps than me, and I was better geared than him. He still had the 378 pieces, with some VP rings and trinkets, but my gear still better but i guess it's the whole rotation crap and stuff that always gives me problems i think.
Reply Quote
Just a quick question. Probably know the answer to this anyway but would like a second opinion on it. Which is better for a DK, 2H weapon or should they duel weild? Let me know plz :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/01/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Naminê
Just a quick question. Probably know the answer to this anyway but would like a second opinion on it. Which is better for a DK, 2H weapon or should they duel weild? Let me know plz :)

DW is only viable for frost. Neither blood nor unholy should make use of it.
I believe DW frost parses higher than 2H frost, but I cannot remember.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
DW is only viable for frost. Neither blood nor unholy should make use of it.
I believe DW frost parses higher than 2H frost, but I cannot remember.

yup, DW is higher than 2h frost. But it depends which weapons you have. For example, if you dont have a Soul Drinker or Hand of Morchok, but do have a LFR Gurth, your 2h dps will be higher (but not by much). Btw, dont make the mistake of equip Soul Drinker in your off hand, youll loose like 2k. Always us it in you Main hand, unless you have 2.

Unholy 2h has great dps, awesomly good if you have Normal Gurth.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
So enjoyed that. Awesome work!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This may be a noob question, but I was wondering why expertise is so important for frost, but completely useless for unholy. it blows my mind everytime i see my exp. at 4
Reply Quote
In comparing specs, Unholy's damage comes from sources which are less affected by dodges and parries (and interestingly, our pets inherit our hit to calculate their expertise). It is important to know that we are still affected by expertise for our swings. It isn't a useless stat, but it's not one we tell people to stack because the others (crit, haste and so on) are so much better for us. So, if you have a few points of expertise, it's doing you some good just not as much another stat might. We will tend to have some low values left in expertise after our reforging is optimized and that's perfectly fine and normal.
Edited by Heartless on 6/14/2012 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
my dk bâdkârmâ has posted here on this thread a couple times. if you want to check achieves to see if i have any clue what im taling about i took a 4 month break after feb. coming back though looking at patch notes etc, exp is a stat that on paper sucks but think outside the box.

if i swing and its dodged ( or idk why parried) did i do dmg or simply waste time swinging a big stick only to do it again? enough of these instances and you have now lost a big part of dps. there is no way to mathematically prove this, but 10-15 expertise is what myself and a few others back during fl into early ds posted as a great comfort zone. to test this yourself go to lfr with no exp, then go with some exp and see what feels better.

like i said exp is just a weird stat for our particular spec and is great proof that you cannot always look at everything as black and white.

heartless, a question my dear. your BiS list i apologise for being lazy like i am, but why are heroic bonebreaker spaulders BiS but pre hard mode norm arent? i would think the 403's with higher str value might edge out but again im being lazy to do the math, if you care to let me know?
Reply Quote

heartless, a question my dear. your BiS list i apologise for being lazy like i am, but why are heroic bonebreaker spaulders BiS but pre hard mode norm arent? i would think the 403's with higher str value might edge out but again im being lazy to do the math, if you care to let me know?

Sure! In Hardmode, you'll see that the BiS head item changes from the Visage of Petrification (a non-set piece) to our Necrotic helm (set piece). You can therefore equip Backbreakers in HM BiS without losing your 4pc set bonus. The same can't be said for the Pre-Hardmode where we still use Visage. While Backbreakers would individually be an upgrade of ~7-8 dps, the DPS loss of breaking the set would still make it a net loss. Now, if someone hadn't achieved their set bonuses and were comparing the items 1:1, then Backbreaker would edge slightly by that small amount. Make sense?

Good question!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
yes , i was talking with use of set helmet and offset shoulders though for norm, but looking over each ones stats i see what you mean, and i have to remember hit is less desirable for me because im just awesome and rolled draenei :P ty for the answer
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
also when i was active in feb DnD did not work on ultrax, looking at WoL i see no dnd dmg, is this because it hasnt been trie since then or is it still not working? jw?
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Irstar
also when i was active in feb DnD did not work on ultrax, looking at WoL i see no dnd dmg, is this because it hasnt been trie since then or is it still not working? jw?

Last I was in there, it still wouldn't hit him. It would show the debuff but not cause any damage.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Heartless, first I want to say thank you for taking this over from Consider back when you did. It's an understatement to say your work is appreciated!

I have a selfish question to ask now - have you been playing beta? And if so, do you have any thoughts to share on the current state of UH dks? Will you be upgrading your guide?

Ok, so I can't count :)
Reply Quote
Heartless, first I want to say thank you for taking this over from Consider back when you did. It's an understatement to say your work is appreciated!

I have a selfish question to ask now - have you been playing beta? And if so, do you have any thoughts to share on the current state of UH dks? Will you be upgrading your guide?

Ok, so I can't count :)

Thanks Ghatok!

A lot of work is going on in the community towards expressing the problems/concerns with beta Death Runes: partly for the lvl 75 tier of talents (i.e. the Death Rune costs making BT the de facto) and also for Soul Reaper's impact on resource usage.

I'm a big fan of this thread, and in particular, this post by Magdalena (it sums it up nicely!):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5889309137?page=60#1196

I'll definitely be updating the guide when the dust settles on our builds come release.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I play Unholy and it pains me that it's not atleast equal with Frost in DPS but I pull about 29k - 32k DPS on Heroic 10m Ultraxion.

Just remember these key things when playing Unholy!

-WATCH YOUR PET! If he dies, bring him back asap!
-ALWAYS use DnD off of cool down!
-Use your AMS not only for defense, but use it when you know a big attack is coming so you can get a full Runepower gauge! NEVER STEP IN THE FIRE (unless you're unholy!)
-Never let those diseases fall off! All enemies should have Cancer/Aids at ALL times
-Plan to use that AMS so that when your Pet is coming off of his Dark transformation you can spam death coils to bring him RIGHT back into it!
-Any buffs you have when you summon your gargoyle, you're gargoyle will inherit! So the buff from our weapon enchant/potion/Unholy frenzy or Hero are a must!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
<3 i love you (srsly) thank you for taking your time to write this very very very helpful guide!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]