Unholy PVE Guide (5.2)

1 Gnome Warrior
I've traditionally played frost since it's been the top spec for quite some time, but have recently swapped to UH (standard priority currently) and wouldn't mind a bit of clarification on the priority list to ensure I'm reading it properly.

My question relates to Death Coil usage vs Scourge Strike. The priority list states to use SS with UU or Death Runes up ahead of DC.

Does this mean for example, if you've got 3 Death up and, say, 2 UH, you would put your UH runes on CD as well as the death runes ahead of DC (if DT is already up, and RP will not be capped)? I find myself in this situation quite often. My question is more on the Death Runes vs DC, as naturally I'd want at least one UH rune on CD before hitting DC to ensure that RC has a chance to speed up regen.

After playing RE w/ 2H frost I'm quite used to putting all runes on cd before dumping RP, but looking at the priority, this doesn't seem to be as much of a priority for UH (with a RC build). I may be overanalysing though as well
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
For the autoattack macro, you don't need "#showtooltip Name". The #showtooltip command on its own line will have the look for whatever ability it would use if pressed at that moment and then show the tooltip for that. Changing it to this:

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Name
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

would be more elegant.
Reply Quote
Please help me understand the relationship between haste value and GCD locking as a DK. I know haste interarcts with both resource regen and GCD, but im not sure how these effects relate to each other. Is the issue that:

1) Past a certain level of haste, my GCD is low enough that I can spend all my resources, and more haste goes to waste?

2) Until a certain level of haste, my resources regenerate too slowly and I can spend them all with GCDs to spare, so additional haste is valuable?

Right now I can spend all my resources with GCDs to spare, just not sure if this means I need more haste or less haste.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey there Ely. Now I do not know what play style you use for you off spec but if you are playing Unholy right now your main stat you want is Strength obviosly so that is what you want primarily for Gemming.
As far as secondary stats for Frost and Unholy

Haste increasing the speed at which Runes regenerate.

This is the primary thing that haste dose for a DK. It dose reduce GCD but the fact is the 2 are both effecting the CD of ability use. The more haste you have the more often your runes are available for you to use abilities like Obliterate and Festering Strike. Such abilities give you RP to then use Frost strike for Frost DKs and Death Coil for Unholy DKs. Frost Presence incresses the flat amount of RP generated by abilities while Unholy increases the speed at which Runes regenerate ( it dose not however reduce GCD as this is not a Haste buff).

This means that after an amount of haste it is plausible that your runes may regen fast enough that you could be waiting on GCD. You would however need ALOT of haste to do that.

As far as unholy goes haste is your go to secondary stat so that you can put out more Death coils and get more Dark Transformations.

As far as Frost goes you DW is Mastery as you are doing lots of Frost damage and Frozen Heart increases that. Two handed needs that haste buff as they use only one weapon giving them less procs of Killing Machine.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info Rav. I'm away from home now so my profile reflects my frost/blood spec, but I intend to go back to unholy/blood once I get home.

So it looks like you're saying case #2 is correct: the increased rune regen from haste is greater than the # of GCDs gained, so more haste is always valuable as UH.

I'll keep that in mind as I assemble my UH set.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
So it looks like you're saying case #2 is correct: the increased rune regen from haste is greater than the # of GCDs gained, so more haste is always valuable as UH.

^^ this.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
So, I switched to Unholy to try it out - no reforge changes or anything (was running 2H frost before).
The guide says to prioritize Scourge Strike over Death and Decay. However, with my gear on a test dummy, DnD hits for 4038k per tick with just 1 stack of Rampage (~44.3k damage with 11 ticks). SS hits for 34.7k with diseases.

I decided to check some logs of other UH DKs and couldn't find them using it in single-target fights like Durumu. On Council though, I found this - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2ugqg5t14w6addpx/details/9/?s=3400&e=3559 (ranked #1). SS hits for around 80k but DnD hits for around 118k.

Is there something I am missing with SS?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I want the DnD that ticks for 4083k.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
At about what gear level would it be best to switch to unholy? Right now, my DPS offset is only 493 and I rather enjoy the simplicity of 2H frost...but I've always wanted to try Unholy. >.>
Reply Quote
96 Human Death Knight
At about what gear level would it be best to switch to unholy? Right now, my DPS offset is only 493 and I rather enjoy the simplicity of 2H frost...but I've always wanted to try Unholy. >.>

Stay with 2h frost until you pick up Feather of Ji-Kun. Though I myself did Unholy before picking up the feather it is just not the same as with the feather trust me :).
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Dat 4 set for unholy...:O
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
no matter how much I try unholy always lags about 15-20k behind what I can do with 2h frost, i've read the guide about what spells to prioritize on a rotation. Maybe at a certain gear level it might pan out, tbh I never see UH dk's in any group i'm in or they are doing really low dps, every dk is frost. I notice the thread starter isn't even unholy specced anymore.
Edited by Svelpial on 9/27/2013 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Blizzard,

Has any thought been put into giving the UH ghoul taunting and health similar to the voidwalker mini-tank to make the DK a possible 3rd pet class?

thank you and look forward to your response.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Dat 4 set for unholy...:O

yo how RC workking for you by the way?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]