DX11 Slow launch and Alt+Tab?

86 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been running without the DX 11 augment for awhile. Tabbing and launching the game has always been extremly quick, nearly instant.

Today I decided to give the DX 11 augment a try and added it to my config file. Sure enough, my fps increase a bit but when I load the game initially it just sits at a black screen and I can hear the music playing. About 7-10 seconds after hearing the music the video finally pops up.

When doing alt+tab it goes to a black screen for about 5 seconds then I see the last image of the game as my desktop. If I try to go back into the game it's another black screen for a bit. Tabbing between accounts is insane. 5-10 seconds to tab out of one account and 5-10 seconds to tab to the other account. Under DX10/9, whichever it was, it took about 1 second to tab between two accounts.

Windows 7 Premium (tried before SP1 and after)
EVGA 580x2 SLI video (nvidia drivers 266.58 currently)
EVGA 450 Audio/Physics
6GB G.Skill PI 1600 DDR3 Ram
i7 950 oc @ 4.2GHz (tried stock as well)
Corsair 120GB SSD

I have tried with SLI enabled, disabled, various video settings ingame, different drivers.

Anyone else have a problem with DX 11 being slow to load and tab?

Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Up
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
We haven't seen it being slower to load in D3D11 but we've seen the alt+tab issue. You can't get around it in full screen mode and switching to windowed mode seems to negate benefits in SLI mode (at least it seems to on my two 465s in SLI)

Do you notice the slow loading on the other account or both?

Keyboard not detected!
Press F1 to resume
A Steamy Romance Novel http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/26/2011 9:50 AMPosted by datth
We haven't seen it being slower to load in D3D11 but we've seen the alt+tab issue

I've had slightly slower launches on different drivers. The age doesn't seem to necessarily effect whether or not the issue's there either. Sure, I'm on ATI, but I've heard the same results from the newer Nvidia GPUs as well.

Five seconds isn't that bad. I wait around 2-3 right now. It used to be upwards of 10 before Catalyst 10.10 came out (in 10/10...sorry I had to >.>).

You can try reverting to older drivers and playing around a bit, but since you're on a GTX 580 you don't have a large pool to test from. You may just have to wait a bit and do what you can until then. I've found that some addons and graphical effects have the possibility to increase tabbing as well. You can try disabling everything to see if that helps, and you can try lowering a few things (primarily shadow quality) to see if that has any bearing as well.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
We haven't seen it being slower to load in D3D11 but we've seen the alt+tab issue. You can't get around it in full screen mode and switching to windowed mode seems to negate benefits in SLI mode (at least it seems to on my two 465s in SLI)

Do you notice the slow loading on the other account or both?

Keyboard not detected!
Press F1 to resume
A Steamy Romance Novel http://www.surveymk.com/s/RHXXKHK

It's not slow loading as in the actual loading screen. It's slow launching after I hit the play button. Once I hit play the screen goes black but I can hear the music in the background. After a few seconds the video pops in.

From logging into my account, the character select screen and actually loading into the game, everything is fine. No black screens when zoning or loading from character select to the game. Just when launching the game itself and alt+tabbing.

Yeah, windowed makes the game virtually unplayable (10-40 fps). If doing windowed fullscreen it flickers the screen.
Edited by Geminí on 2/26/2011 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]