Soulstone

(Locked)

82 Blood Elf Paladin
03/03/2011 8:56 PMPosted by Tyrazsun
I like the solution as it is now, rather than giving it to healing classes, personally. Both soulstone/raise ally were Bresish anyway. The new versions have about the same flavor. You're bringing someone back from the dead. It's not a ghoul, but it's still dark artsy.

I don't care much who Blizzard decides to throw combat rez to. What's amusing to me is that he'd attempt to frame Blizzard's decision as somehow being a meaningful compromise: opposed to another class with a healing spec getting a combat rez, instead SS, Raise Ally, and Rebirth are being streamlined! That's compromise!

Also, come on. Bringing someone back as a ghoul for a few minutes != Rebirth. Deciding beforehand who needs to be prioritized for a SS != deciding afterward who needs to be prioritized for a Rebirth. There were meaningful differences between these abilities. The streamlining (perhaps not the more accurate word, by the way, but it conveys my meaning well enough) turns them into just another *mechanic* that this set amount of classes needs to bring to the table, when before they were cool spells that actually meaningfully distinguished the classes.
85 Worgen Warlock
Personally if Soulstone is made able to be cast as a normal battle rez I would love for it to be changed into an actuall spell instead of an item having to be used. I know there will come a point in time when I will want to battle rez and I will have forgotten to make a new soulstone and will be unable to. Overall not nearly as important an issue of it being cast on the dead but I think one that should be raised anyway.
88 Blood Elf Warlock
This would be excellent if it weren't for the fact that to be useful, we're going to have to have raid frames up.

Not cool IMO.

I've made a different thread about how I would handle the warlock brez but stay true to pre-storing the soul. Feel free to wander over there and check it out :P
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm unsure if it's been suggested, but a soulburn/soulstone combat rez option may be viable.
Also, come on. Bringing someone back as a ghoul for a few minutes != Rebirth. Deciding beforehand who needs to be prioritized for a SS != deciding afterward who needs to be prioritized for a Rebirth. There were meaningful differences between these abilities. The streamlining (perhaps not the more accurate word, by the way, but it conveys my meaning well enough) turns them into just another *mechanic* that this set amount of classes needs to bring to the table, when before they were cool spells that actually meaningfully distinguished the classes.

You make a very good point here.

However, Blizzard has stated their reasons for the upcoming change. This will be another bit of homogenization we all have to swallow in the name of play balance.

On a humorous note, I plan on macroing my soulstone rez to say "Mwaa ha ha! Arise and be my new minion! Now, get me a diet soda."
70 Tauren Shaman
Having lots of unique and powerful abilities is not always compatible with having 10-player raids. We don’t think the smaller raid needs every possible buff or defensive ability to be successful.

So why is it there are there no 10 mans at 10/13 and like 90 guilds at 10/13 for 25 man?
85 Draenei Shaman

Having lots of unique and powerful abilities is not always compatible with having 10-player raids. We don’t think the smaller raid needs every possible buff or defensive ability to be successful, but we were convinced that the combat rez made groups without a druid at a significant disadvantage. It’s often subjective as to what constitutes mandatory raid tools. In our minds, combat rez has become one.

Now we know why classes are getting other classes abilities. It used to be that a Shaman was a must have in a raid due to the high utility of the totems and heroism/bloodlust that were extremely useful in encounters. Now, with the exception of one totem, several classes can cover what a Shaman alone used to be able to do.

Seems to me that the game is kind of moving away from the uniqueness that is playing a particular class.
85 Human Warlock
Our plan is still to let Soulstones be used on dead targets, effectively giving warlocks a combat resurrection as well. Unlike the death knight one, which was a relatively straight forward change, the warlock one requires new code. We still plan on making this change for 4.1, but we will keep you updated.

Having lots of unique and powerful abilities is not always compatible with having 10-player raids. We don’t think the smaller raid needs every possible buff or defensive ability to be successful, but we were convinced that the combat rez made groups without a druid at a significant disadvantage. It’s often subjective as to what constitutes mandatory raid tools. In our minds, combat rez has become one.

With this logic why not give everyone combat rez. Give everyone ank too. If you haven't sensed my sarcasm; how about you keep combat rez unique to druids, but give it a LONG CD, cast, or require tons of mana.

What is the point of classes?!?

Is the goal to make the game boring enough that we all quit and move to a new blizzard game?

Seriously, we're already raiding because we like to hang out in vent...not because the game is fun. Our guild practically didn't exist at the end of LK, and it only exists because we enjoy playing games in vent.

Please make the game FUN.
Edited by Simaril on 3/4/2011 5:23 AM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
no no no no no no no no no no no no no

i dont want to play world of oneclass

stop giving every class every buff
85 Human Warlock
Something I never knew I wanted. Time to set up my raid frames and click casting.

Ok, now that I've got that set up, could you change health funnel to work on any friendly targets instead of just our demons?

I'd also like a new type of stone, or maybe four of them, that I can drop on the ground at a stationary location, and they'll provide various buffs to players standing within a certain range of them.

Thank you. <3
85 Troll Death Knight
03/04/2011 8:11 AMPosted by Dreadlordnaf
On what planet does this make any sense?

On the planet where you already had a way of bringing people back to life in combat.
85 Human Warlock
1) Do we still get to use it on living people as well? (Not that this means much, but hey, it helps when soloing marginally - I won't complain if we can't)

2) Will it still be on an item, as I agree the item is just an unnecessarily formality - you use it, then immediately make a new one anyway.
41 Gnome Warlock
As a 10's raid leader I prefer it when the combat rez comes from a DPS druid rather than a healer.

Most often the rez gets used on a healer. Not always, but often enough. If one healer is dead, one healer is rezzing, then there's only one healer actually healing the group. This results in a window of vulnerability for the entire raid while the rez goes out. If a healing druid warns me, then as a tank I can use a cooldown or two provided the fight allows me this luxury and it helps mitigate it some. But IMO it's easier on the raid as a whole when the rez is coming from a DPSer and the healers have less catching up to do.
85 Night Elf Druid

So this clarifys that you want to make it so that even if someone in the raid makes a major flaw and gets a person killed its ok? I see homogenizing and catering to bad players here.

That's kind of backward. Raiders already view combat rez as a necessity. So if we want you to bring the player and not the class, that tool has to be more readily available.

Some players in this thread are complaining about homogenizing classes, while others are complaining that this tool should be given to all healers. We feel a good compromise is to give a similar tool to three classes that otherwise play very differently.

After 6 years of raiding, I lost my 10 man raid spot to a Rogue. I average around 14k dps, but we've lost so much of our abilities, I guess it's not worth taking a Feral anymore.

Reasons I can think of...

MoW - replaced by Kings.
Battle Rez - Not needed, they have a Lock SS.
Damage - Rogues do better damage, have better interrupts, and bring CC to a raid.
Feral Innervate - Useless, doesn't restore much of anything.
Tank - Yea, right. Druid tanks (OT) were replaced by Pally tanks in WotLK., at least they were in my guild.
Suffer from positional requirements that others aren't subject to.

So yea, our dps is middle of the road and we've lost what made us unique. I've decided I'm done raiding, and since I don't PvP there isn't much else to do. I'll run a few heroics to finish up reps and then probably call it.

Too many changes that went too far, and now it looks like they are realizing this and changing things back a bit. Doesn't matter though...

Enjoy your PvP...
85 Troll Death Knight
03/04/2011 9:27 AMPosted by Romara
Tank - Yea, right. Druid tanks (OT) were replaced by Pally tanks in WotLK., at least they were in my guild.

That was just your guild then. Druids were essentially the second most powerful tank for the whole of Wrath.

As for now, every tank is as viable as any other.
90 Draenei Shaman
The only way to improve Raise Ally (which was basically a gimmick spell before) would be to have it apply a buff or debuff on targets rezzed with it that give them the appearance of a ghoul for, say, 10 minutes.
23 Orc Hunter
I've got an idea! Since Blizzard seems unwilling/unable to balance Shaman DPS specs that well why not just remove one of them, oh I dunno Ele? ;), and make that into a combat rez spec.

We can go back to what Shaman did in vanilla during raids!

/popcorn
Community Manager

With this logic why not give everyone combat rez. Give everyone ank too. If you haven't sensed my sarcasm; how about you keep combat rez unique to druids, but give it a LONG CD, cast, or require tons of mana.

What is the point of classes?!?

Well, I know when I'm playing my warlock I don't at any point think, "wow, this really feels like playing my druid. If we change the functionality of Soulstone, I won't notice the difference between the two!"

On what planet does this make any sense? I swear do they just throw darts at a wall with ideas on how to respond to improving classes. I dont think i heard any warlock asking for this. There are like 100x more important lock issues to work out and this is what they do?

This wasn't a sudden decision. We announced our plans for this back when we announced the mechanics change for combat rez.
90 Orc Warlock
Will soul stone maintain the 15 minute cooldown it currently has, or will it will be lowered to match other battle resses? And, will it retain its function it currently has or will it function similar to rebirth?

I love idea of locks getting a battle res, just curious behind it's new functionality.

Editted for clarity.
Edited by Spunt on 3/4/2011 5:33 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]