New Zul'Gurub and the Old Mounts

1 Blood Elf Hunter
Hello! I am very much looking forward to the renovated Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman instances coming in the next content patch, but there is one thing that severely disappoints me regarding the mounts. Perhaps my fears are unfounded, but I am just looking for some clarification. Please forgive me if this post comes across as senseless QQ, as that is not its intention.

I myself farmed the old ZG mounts for quite some time, and although I was able to get the raptor, the tiger continued to elude me. As a dedicated mount collector (145 as of this post), I was very depressed over the removal of the ZG mounts, but I clung to the hope that they might some day be readded to the game after seeing this blue post:

Although we have no current plans to introduce new ways to obtain the Zul'Gurub mounts, pets, and the tribute mounts, they may return should we find a place where they fit in the future.

The pet found a home again shortly thereafter, so I patiently waited to see if the ZG mounts would be reinstated, perhaps as an archaeology reward or something along those lines. When I woke up this morning to find the announcement on MMO-Champion of a new ZG coming in 4.1, my heart leapt! However I was very disappointed to see that the mounts are not making a return -- Instead, slightly different ones will be taking their places.

Now, as a collector, I am obviously happy about the addition of new mounts, but considering this would have been the opportune time to bring back the old raptor and tiger, I feel that this is the final nail in the coffin for the old mounts.

I can understand not bringing back the ZA bear, as it was a reward for a test of skill (however if a similar test of skill was implemented into the game, I would have no problem with it returning), but the ZG raptor and tiger are a different story altogether. In order to get the ZG mounts, one simply needed to be a class that was able to solo the bosses, as well as have the luck to actually get the mounts to drop. I know that there are many dedicated farmers, including myself, who were never able to get one or both to drop for them, and it was a source of frustration seen in many forum posts when they were removed. It seems that this content patch would have been the perfect time to bring them back for those who simply were not lucky enough to get them in the first place.

I suppose my question is this: Is there any remaining hope for the return of the beloved original Swift Zulian Tiger and Swift Razzashi Raptor?

Thank you for reading my rambling. :) Any thoughts or predictions? Or perhaps (dare I say it), a blue post?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
quoting from MMO-champion
Since Zul'Aman is back, you might be curious on whether the rare mounts will be back? Yes, we're proud to annouce that new rare-drop Raptor, Tiger and Warbear mount will be available, while the old mounts still have their unique beauty in hand. We will share a lot more on obtaining the new mounts.

To me, this says that the new mounts will have different skins, and the old mounts will remain a unique perk to the people who managed to get them way back in the day. But you can read into it differently if you want to.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Maybe the raptor. But all signs currently say that the tiger is now a panther.

Yay, I get to stay a little more special ^^
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'm guessing Armani Polar Bear, Pink Raptor, and Black Stripeless Tiger
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Maybe the raptor. But all signs currently say that the tiger is now a panther.

Yay, I get to stay a little more special ^^
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Druid
I said this in another thread, but I'd like to show my support here, too.

First off: I have a Zulian Tiger.

While I'm excited that there will be new mounts for me to obtain, as a vanity item collector, I still feel as if there is a mistake here on Blizzard's part. I don't want to feel special. A lot of people who wanted the tiger mount, myself included, didn't want it because it was rare (and let's face it, after people could solo it at 70 and then at 80, it stopped being rare, anyway), they wanted it because the skin was awesome and it still is. These same people may have simply had terrible luck with the RNG after having farmed it religiously for months--- I know people who are in that boat. They want to be excited about the return of ZA or ZG, but a panther is not the same thing as a tiger, and I feel for them.

Taking things out of the game, even if you add something else shiny in its place, is not the best design. As a gentle, but insistent request, Blizzard: please find some niche for the current Raptor and Tiger models in your new ZA / ZG. Low drop rate, rep reward, something.

Completely agree with you, OP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree. This is a perfect place to put the old ZG mounts back in. I farmed ZG since partway through BC, almost every reset, and I never once saw a tiger. A panther is just not the same as a tiger. Removing the tiger and replacing it with a panther isn't a very good idea. Please Blizzard, put the tiger and raptor back in somehow!
Reply Quote
Have to disagree. I think they shouldn't bring back the old models.

In fact, they should've closed off Uld10/25 and ICC10/25 mounts already and haven't.

I'm a believer that these mounts should show that you completed the content at a certain time, not that you just had so much time to play that you farmed it.

Yeah, I do have both ZG mounts and I got them both at 80, cheaply. I have both Ulduar drakes way after they were relevant. Shouldn't be this way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Have to disagree. I think they shouldn't bring back the old models.

In fact, they should've closed off Uld10/25 and ICC10/25 mounts already and haven't.

I'm a believer that these mounts should show that you completed the content at a certain time, not that you just had so much time to play that you farmed it.

Yeah, I do have both ZG mounts and I got them both at 80, cheaply. I have both Ulduar drakes way after they were relevant. Shouldn't be this way.

Yes it should be this way. So No to your post ;-(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Then why did you bother to get them at all if you so steadfastly believe they shouldn't be available once they're not current content? Should they remove all rare drop mounts once they're not current content? That would mean getting rid of the Blue Protodrake, the Onyxian Drake, Ashes of Alar, Deathcharger's Reigns, Blue Drake, Azure Drake, White Hawkstrider, etc... Do you support the removal of these mounts too?

What I'm saying is that a lot of people farmed for months and months for these mounts and never got them. I did ZG back in vanilla and cleared the whole place, but never got a mount for it. I continued to farm ZG after vanilla and only got the raptor.

All I'm saying is that these mounts should be added back in because a lot of us farmed them forever and never got a thing. As Illuria said, simply replacing them with something else isn't the best design.
Reply Quote
02/24/2011 9:23 AMPosted by Sarasa
Then why did you bother to get them at all if you so steadfastly believe they shouldn't be available once they're not current content? Should they remove all rare drop mounts once they're not current content? That would mean getting rid of the Blue Protodrake, the Onyxian Drake, Ashes of Alar, Deathcharger's Reigns, Blue Drake, Azure Drake, White Hawkstrider, etc... Do you support the removal of these mounts too?

Yes.

What I'm saying is that a lot of people farmed for months and months for these mounts and never got them. I did ZG back in vanilla and cleared the whole place, but never got a mount for it. I continued to farm ZG after vanilla and only got the raptor.

All I'm saying is that these mounts should be added back in because a lot of us farmed them forever and never got a thing. As Illuria said, simply replacing them with something else isn't the best design.

Tough break.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/24/2011 9:25 AMPosted by Wojtek

Yes.

Tough break.

if you had your way, you would essentially kill this game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

Yes.

Tough break.

if you had your way, you would essentially kill this game.

Maybe if they put the original mounts back in it, then it would be acceptable. But this is just another botch in a long line of them.

RNG + Sudden removal of fun items/content is not acceptable. RNG + Limited Time Content is also not acceptable.

Maybe if they weren't rng but rewarded by effort, then limited time/removal would be acceptable. But this wasn't.

Believe me. Farming ZG twice a week every week for 4 YEARS and not getting my tiger was not fun play.

Doing the timed event in ZA like 25 times successfully only to be out rolled on the war bear was not fun. Everyone should have got it for the effort.

It has nothing to do with things 'remaining unique' Its about method of obtaining vs effort put in and fairness. And if something is to be removed it ought to be obtainable through raw effort, not luck. That would give unique items 'value'

It'll just be a slap in the face as always, if the old mounts aren't reinstated. You would seriously think they'd get it right for once after 7 years.
Edited by Matayas on 2/24/2011 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
New and similar, read it all the way through next time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2011 9:04 AMPosted by Sarasa
I agree. This is a perfect place to put the old ZG mounts back in. I farmed ZG since partway through BC, almost every reset, and I never once saw a tiger. A panther is just not the same as a tiger. Removing the tiger and replacing it with a panther isn't a very good idea. Please Blizzard, put the tiger and raptor back in somehow!

This was my suggestion:

One (and only 1) Zalandar troll managed to survive the cataclysm. He patrolls around STV, meaning that if you want to interact with him, you have to find him each time. If you have exhalted rep with the Zandalar faction you can buy 2 items from him, once per day each.
For 100 Justic Points he will sell you either a Tiger Treasure Chest or a Raptor Loot Sack. These items contain either a piece of random green or blue quality gear, or a few uncut green/blue Cataclysm gems. They also have a 5% chance to have one of the appropriate mounts in them.

This allows people who put a lot of time and effort into farming the mounts before Cata the option of continuing to put time and effort into getting them, without needing the entire instance to remain in place. The RNG mimics the instance grind, and also it keeps Azeroth from being flooded with cheapened versions of the mount, like we've seen with other rare drops. (Anzu the Raven Lord, I'm looking at you.)
Edited by Drelnu on 2/24/2011 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

This was my suggestion:

One (and only 1) Zalandar troll managed to survive the cataclysm. He patrolls around STV, meaning that if you want to interact with him, you have to find him each time. If you have exhalted rep with the Zandalar faction you can buy 2 items from him, once per day each.
For 100 Justic Points he will sell you either a Tiger Treasure Chest or a Raptor Loot Sack. These items contain either a piece of random green or blue quality gear, or a few uncut green/blue Cataclysm gems. They also have a 5% chance to have one of the appropriate mounts in them.

This allows people who put a lot of time and effort into farming the mounts before Cata the option of continuing to put time and effort into getting them, without needing the entire instance to remain in place. The RNG mimics the instance grind, and also it keeps Azeroth from being flooded with cheapened versions of the mount, like we've seen with other rare drops. (Anzu the Raven Lord, I'm looking at you.)

I like this idea! It rewards the people who really want the mount while still keeping it rare. That way, it satisfies both sides of this issue.
Edited by Sarasa on 2/24/2011 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
i feel really queasy and betrayed about the warbear thing. sigh. ok i will stop posting about it. eveyrtime i read these threads its like my mind resets and i forget i read the other similar threads.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Not a bad idea for those of us who farmed our hearts out with terrible luck.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I said this in another thread, but I'd like to show my support here, too.

First off: I have a Zulian Tiger.

While I'm excited that there will be new mounts for me to obtain, as a vanity item collector, I still feel as if there is a mistake here on Blizzard's part. I don't want to feel special. A lot of people who wanted the tiger mount, myself included, didn't want it because it was rare (and let's face it, after people could solo it at 70 and then at 80, it stopped being rare, anyway), they wanted it because the skin was awesome and it still is. These same people may have simply had terrible luck with the RNG after having farmed it religiously for months--- I know people who are in that boat. They want to be excited about the return of ZA or ZG, but a panther is not the same thing as a tiger, and I feel for them.

Taking things out of the game, even if you add something else shiny in its place, is not the best design. As a gentle, but insistent request, Blizzard: please find some niche for the current Raptor and Tiger models in your new ZA / ZG. Low drop rate, rep reward, something.

Completely agree with you, OP.

I would much rather see the red Za bear mount be obtainable again, that is the sexiest mount in game (imo)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]