Q: Best Professions for a Priest?

17 Draenei Priest
Just started my first priest and wondered what the best professions were for a Priest.

I expect that jewelcrafting is number one.

Would mining or enchanting be next?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
03/02/2011 5:29 PMPosted by Kathalick
Just started my first priest and wondered what the best professions were for a Priest.

I go with Tailoring and Enchanting for my Shadow Priest...which is precisely why I don't recommend it.

This combination is only for players with alts that have very deep pockets. There isn't enough silks that drop to keep you up in Tailoring to keep up in items to disenchant to progress in Enchanting...to say nothing of what you need to progress First Aid.

If you go with this combination, then you had either have a lot of gold to buy silks in the AH, or get used to farming...lots of farming. And I do mean lots of farming.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I'm presently Alchemy/Herbalism. I plan on going Alchemy/Engineering once I get my gatherer alt up to pace for Mining and Herbalism.

Alchemy is a good money maker and relatively decent to level. The Alchemist Stone trinkets are also extremely nice for us. Potions give you an added measure of survivability since everyone and their grandmother has an interrupt these days, so you can pop a potion for a quick heal.

Engineering is for PvP and the sweet, sweet killshades at 85.

It all depends on what you plan on doing, honestly. Alchemy and Engineering gives me a decent balance between PvE and PvP. People love Alchemists.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
Personal preference. I chose Enchanting and Jewelcrafting. When a piece of gear drops in raid I can use it immediately at its full potential. Also JC makes good money when new tiers of gear come out, all the people need to gem their gear at 10pm server tuesdays(usually). My 2 cents.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
gathering profs are less useful than others as they give less bonus because they are so much easier to max.

That being said for PvE healing I believe I get better use out of Alchemy as a potion being increased in effectiveness (as well as more Int, and with it mana regen and stronger spell casts) lets me do my job better than an extra 80 int (which I get from flasks anyways).

That being said it could easily fall behind as content progresses as trinkets with an ilvl above the trinket will eventually offer a better return. If they offer dungeon recipe drops for a better version this will not be an issue.

Herbalism is useful to feed alch, but on a healer I find the HoT is not great, and the haste to minor compared to other options (such as tailoring).

(Note: I currently am a herbalist but will be looking to replace it (with tailoring). In cata with the glyph change I dropped inscription as it will loose value as time progresses. Also my post is PvE centered and the advice doesn't necessarily convert well into PvP)
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
Tailoring/Engineering.

Due to Shadowfiend (as well as other % total mana cooldowns), the intermittent boosts provide more fight-long mana than the static boosts. Also, due to the heavy use of delayed healing/damage mechanics, large surges of spellpower are highly beneficial.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
As a healer I am Tailoring/Enchanting. I could see Tailoring/JC, or Tailoring/Engi as some good buffs, too.
Reply Quote
tailor enchanter was what i was since this character was made.

tailoring sucked....in fact, i hated all of the "gear crafting" professions. They'd give you an epic, and then within a month of the expac being out, that epic would be worse than something else you already had.

Enchanting? used to be great, i could get tips and whatnot from it, and the ability to always be able to do an enchant and have supplies on hand outweighed the costs involved.

then in WotLK, vellums and the "disenchant" option on loot was introduced....now anyone could use your services no matter what. I see enchants that cost 50-100g in mats on the AH for 3g.....routinely. Enchanting can no longer make money.....DISENCHANTING still makes some money, but the actual enchanting skills don't do anything that you can't get on the AH for cheaper, or ask someone to make for you for a tiny tip (if its a skill up, they may give YOU money!) the only benefit here is the 80 intellect at no cost....

i'm alchemy herbalism now....the potion trinket is one of the best items in game for disc (351 intellect AND some haste on a trinket!) and the static 80-intellect buff is equivalent to enchanting, though i do wish it didn't lock me out of elixirs.

herbalism is fantastic for my Disc priest too...i macro the herbalism haste CD to Power infusion for a "super cooldown" when needed, and a self heal in shadow that i can also use to boost dps is great.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Rogue
03/02/2011 5:58 PMPosted by Strydent

I go with Tailoring and Enchanting for my Shadow Priest...which is precisely why I don't recommend it.

This combination is only for players with alts that have very deep pockets. There isn't enough silks that drop to keep you up in Tailoring to keep up in items to disenchant to progress in Enchanting...to say nothing of what you need to progress First Aid.

If you go with this combination, then you had either have a lot of gold to buy silks in the AH, or get used to farming...lots of farming. And I do mean lots of farming.

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to the AH. I only use the AH for tradeskills when I need that last point to get to the next shelf, things like that. I do NOT use the AH to madly skill my way from 450 to 525, that's just a waste of gold imo, but some people do have deep pockets and will do this anyway.

I just get used to working with what drops, period. I don't farm silks, I hate farming. But I DO do my dailies and I do have multiple alts that I mail mats back and forth with constantly.

I do NOT have deep pockets by any means compared to many players... Unless you consider 25k to be deep pockets/rich. lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I don't understand what people are talking about with enchanting/tailoring being costly?

I remember once farming Mageweave Cloth (I think it was mageweave). But since I leveled up from 1-80 primarily in dungeons, I always had tons of cloth. I only had 1 capped character at the time and she was alliance so I planned on being broke as a joke.

It wasn't bad honestly. I love the pants and cloak enchant and having enchanting saves me from buying any enchant from the auction house.

My husband rolled a warlock with jewelcrafting so I never have to buy gems either. And our gbank is full of all sorts of cloth for alt bags / gear (no mageweave though ;p).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I have tailoring and alchemy.

I used to be tailoring/herbalism, but when I made my priest my main I dropped it and let my scribe farm herbs for me.

The alchemy bonuses are GREAT, and making a guild cauldron is cool! My flasks go two hours, and I get a full time Int bonus from the perma flask for daily wear.

I like the tailoring as a money maker and as a helper outer. The embroidery is nice and when Powerful Ghostly Spellthread goes for 700-800g a pop on the AH, I'm pleased.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't understand what people are talking about with enchanting/tailoring being costly?

I remember once farming Mageweave Cloth (I think it was mageweave). But since I leveled up from 1-80 primarily in dungeons, I always had tons of cloth. I only had 1 capped character at the time and she was alliance so I planned on being broke as a joke.

It wasn't bad honestly. I love the pants and cloak enchant and having enchanting saves me from buying any enchant from the auction house.

My husband rolled a warlock with jewelcrafting so I never have to buy gems either. And our gbank is full of all sorts of cloth for alt bags / gear (no mageweave though ;p).

Its costly in the fact that it is terribly difficult to "farm" the mats needed to level them (compared to other profs). Cloth is random drops from humanoids...and any time a sweet cloth farming spot comes up, Blizz quickly nerfs it. Enchanting...you have to get Green gear or better for mats, which of course either means random drops, dungeons, or from DE cloth items you make (which is based of random cloth drops).

So yeah...either youre paying the AH for the mats to level, or youre wasting your time trying to find the mats to level...either way its costly (time or money).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
03/03/2011 2:13 PMPosted by Linaria
So yeah...either youre paying the AH for the mats to level, or youre wasting your time trying to find the mats to level...either way its costly (time or money).

Never did either /shrug
(aside from a half an hour farming Mageweave once. 30 minutes in the overall time spent played is nothing... especially since I was just sitting in a queue anyway.)
Guess I'm just lucky.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
tailoring/enchanting for me leveling up as well. it's good in my opinion but can be expensive. but guess what, when your level capped and get to enchant both your rings cheaply + with tailoring, you can thread your pants and cloak very cheaply, it sorta pays off. But there are perks & drawbacks to every profession.

if you wanna just make money, take up herbalism and mining and just farm away.
alchemy and jewelcrafting are a favorite of many people's right now as well, so just figure out what benefits are most important to you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]