Gnome vs. Goblin Engineering

I know this topic has probably come of a million times before, by my searches haven't yielded any useful discussion on the matter. This is the first time using the engineering profession, and just recently got the opportunity to choose between the two professions. I am a demonology specced Warlock and would like to know which would be more suitable to my character, and the relative benefits and advantages of each disicipline. Thus far, all I have been able to learn is that Goblin engineering is for offensive purposes and gnome engineering is for utility purposes, but I would like a clearer understanding of each disicipline.

Thanks for the help.
Reply Quote
86 Orc Shaman
This topic is asked all the time, and never answered.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
As of right now, the only real difference between them in terms of useful utility is the teleporters (Winterspring for Goblin, Tanaris for Gnome).

All the old trinkets don't really work beyond level 60 in a useful fashion and all the old explosives haven't scaled well.

Gnomes can make x-ray goggles that make everyone appear naked, so I guess there is that too!
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Paladin
pretty much. generally, goblin engineer items are designed to deal damage while gnome engineer items are more defensively oriented. but these items comprise such a small (and temporary) portion of the total array of engineering that it doesn't particularly matter that much in the long run.

i think the only scenario where it would make much of a difference is if the player intends his character to be a permanent low level battlegrounds twink, and keep the character at a level where it will depend heavily upon certain goblin or gnome items. at level whatever to 85, the choice between goblin or gnome engineering makes hardly any difference at all... and you can level & enjoy your character and the engineer profession just fine without ever choosing a specialty.
Edited by Narconon on 3/2/2011 9:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Oh look, it's THIS thread again...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
its simple

do u want toy's or do u want to blow things up

idk about u but i like to blow !#%@ up
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
its simple

do u want toy's or do u want to blow things up

idk about u but i like to blow !#%@ up

Maybe in BC, but we didn't even get a new Sapper Charge or bombs. They should just take out the specialization like they did for tailoring as it only limits what you can do in an already limited profession. I talk from an 85 perspective I mean. You might want to wait for 4.1 though to see if anything changes. You can level without specializing, but if you impatient you can pay 150G to change them now, so no worries.

TLDR: As Cybsled already stated, unless you prefer things like "Gnomish X-Ray Specs" the only thing that matters is teleport locations.

Edit: spelling
Edited by Limpstick on 3/3/2011 12:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/02/2011 8:30 PMPosted by Cybsled
As of right now, the only real difference between them in terms of useful utility is the teleporters (Winterspring for Goblin, Tanaris for Gnome).

This. Also, goblins port to Area-52 while gnomes point to Toshley's Station which is alliance controlled. There are also ports to the Caverns of Time in Tanaris from Shat (requires CoT rep) and Dalaran, though the lack of portals in either location makes that less significant.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
how do you even get to be a goblin engineer? do you have to be a certain level? i don't get it...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Oz
There are the teleporter differences, Gnomish Engineers get World Enlarger, Gnomish Gravity Well and De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion, and Goblins get Big Daddy and Personal World Destroyer. All in all, it doesn't really matter that much.

03/03/2011 5:04 PMPosted by Bepit
how do you even get to be a goblin engineer? do you have to be a certain level? i don't get it...

Quest in Gadgetzan.
Edited by Bainbridge on 3/3/2011 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Paladin
03/03/2011 5:04 PMPosted by Bepit

i think there's a level requirement & skill point requirement, but it's pretty low. probably like level 35 and skill 150.

go to gadgetzan and look for a guy who offers a quest called "show your work." the quest requires you to build a few different kinds of engineer bombs and hand them over to the quest giver.

the process for becoming a gnome engineer is similar, except the quest giver is in booty bay and he asks for different items. i think that quest is also called "show your work."
Edited by Narconon on 3/3/2011 6:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well, thanks for the information, its good to hear that I should be well off regardless of the choice.

I have heard one argument in favor of goblin engineering. Apparently both disiciplines can use the other disciplines devices, they just can't build them. Supposedly goblin devices are more along the lines of consumables, such as bombs, while gnome devices are permanent equipment. Thus you go golbin because their devices must be replenished, and simply purchase the gnomish equipment through the auction house. Is this a sound argument? Do you really gain that much by taking this approach?

Thanks again for the help.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Oz
I have heard one argument in favor of goblin engineering. Apparently both disiciplines can use the other disciplines devices, they just can't build them. Supposedly goblin devices are more along the lines of consumables, such as bombs, while gnome devices are permanent equipment. Thus you go golbin because their devices must be replenished, and simply purchase the gnomish equipment through the auction house. Is this a sound argument? Do you really gain that much by taking this approach?

Well, not really. To use the example of my most commonly used Gnomish Engineering item, World Enlarger requires you to be a Gnomish Engineer to use, as do the teleporters and a good amount of the other items. The only exceptions I can think of are the De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion and the Gnomish Mind Control Cap.

Edit: The item links really aren't liking me tonight.
Edited by Bainbridge on 3/3/2011 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Pretty much I go Goblin on tanks who can use the extra aoe damage (and have weaker damage to start with) and Gnome on other toons.
Goblin eng revolves around bombs and Gnome is all about cool little tricks. As a warlock you have lots of ways to blow stuff up already so I'd check out Gnome eng.
As has been said already it doesn't make much difference at 85 right now and you can change it later if you decide you want to try the other school of engineering.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]