Tone down Tol Barad dailies

Between the spawn time, the density of mobs, and the amount of damage each does it makes doing dailies in Tol Barad horrible. Will the damage of the mobs be toned down in 4.1 or will another quest hub be added? It seems like every time I quest in the zone, I'll need to eat and drink after each kill.

Also, I noticed that when you die in the zone you don't have to run back to your corpse, which means you have to re-fight everything (due to the high spawn rate) just to get back to where you were.

God forbid there should be ANY sort of challenge in this game at all. There's no reason to nerf the NPC damage, it's fine the way it is, and this is coming from a clothie.

That said, would you rather run around for a lengthy amount of time, battling everyone over the Lurkers, then sit and wait 3 min for them to respawn?

I wouldn't.

However, I think what they should do is at least make the dailies separate for both factions every day. No reason everyone should fight over the same quest target. 6 different for Horde, the other 6 for Alliance, and vice versa.

Other than then, please stop complaining about the spawn times and NPC damage output.

Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/03/2011 2:58 PMPosted by Motzie
The spawntimes do make me frown though. Killing something than having it instantly respawn on your face isnt a challenge, it's annoying. Although granted waiting for a mob to respawn while 7 other people need 12 of the same thing is also annoying. Catch 22.

It is sort of a catch 22 and a side effect of dynamic spawning. When there are a finite number of spawn points for certain creature types, and the rate of spawning is determined by the number of players in the area, this can lead to instant respawns at specific locations. We still feel that's preferable to set spawn times regardless of player population in the area.

I know I'd rather have a few creatures spawn on top of me and have to prepare for that potential outcome, than camp out and really fight with nearby players to get my quests done.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
03/03/2011 3:13 PMPosted by Zarhym
The spawntimes do make me frown though. Killing something than having it instantly respawn on your face isnt a challenge, it's annoying. Although granted waiting for a mob to respawn while 7 other people need 12 of the same thing is also annoying. Catch 22.

It is sort of a catch 22 and a side effect of dynamic spawning. When there are a finite number of spawn points for certain creature types, and the rate of spawning is determined by the number of players in the area, this can lead to instant respawns at specific locations. We still feel that's preferable to set spawn times regardless of player population in the area.

I know I'd rather have a few creatures spawn on top of me and have to prepare for that potential outcome, than camp out and really fight with nearby players to get my quests done.

I'd rather not die because I've been camped by respawns.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Calling for a toning down of any of the leveling or questing areas of this game just means that you don't know how easy you really have it. Its like the king of a country complaining about having to walk to the other side of his gigantic bedroom to use the restroom.

Edit: The only people who die to continuous respawns are the ones who never learned how to self heal and use utility. They are also the people who probably don't pull the mob away from the spot it zones. You know what I do whenever the game refuses to stop sending me more mobs? I run away. What a concept.
Edited by Joolz on 3/3/2011 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
The rewards and benefits for doing Tol Barad quests are quite nice. Players jumping straight into the zone when hitting 85 (either in quest greens or some dungeon blues) will certainly notice it's substantially more challenging than Twilight Highlands.

The balance of the zone partially relates to its sustainability as repeatable content for players at all levels of the end game. When I first started questing there I was in all questing gear and definitely noticed the challenge, but I liked it. As I started gearing up I saw how much better I was faring while taking high damage, managing unpredictable spawns, etc.

The basic point is that, because there are some great rewards there a lot of players are working toward, the questing needs to be more difficult than a place like Twilight Highlands so it doesn't feel incredibly trivial by the time you have a 329 average item level.

So what you're saying is that, in order to establish continued viability, mobs this expansion have lots of health so that they aren't three-shottable at any point, ensuring that mobs in every zone will continue to be incredibly annoying no matter how well geared you are?

And I guess it was more fun for you in WotLK running around three-shotting everything?

If these dailies annoy you so much, don't do them. I like the challenge, I like the spawn rate. But, as we all know, keep up the QQ, eventually Blizz will cave in to you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
lots of mobs on tol barad and in tol barad can be 2 hit let alone 3 hit. lol

but i'm curious..what rewards are really nice? the dragon would've been nice had it been limited to the first 5 or 10 players on the server to have it. now it's as common as NE' hunters with some version of legolas

all i'm doing is stacking tol barad commendations because there's nothing left to buy
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
lots of mobs on tol barad and in tol barad can be 2 hit let alone 3 hit. lol

but i'm curious..what rewards are really nice? the dragon would've been nice had it been limited to the first 5 or 10 players on the server to have it. now it's as common as NE' hunters with some version of legolas

all i'm doing is stacking tol barad commendations because there's nothing left to buy

Sorry you have run out of things to buy. Wait till the next patch and there will be new gear for you to spend your points on. Just as what Wintergrasp did, and the battlegrounds before it.
Reply Quote
97 Orc Warrior
TB dailies are hands down the best way to get guild rep without raiding or doing heroics. Kinda sucks when you're way past exalted and have all the mounts.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
03/03/2011 3:02 PMPosted by Pantagana
multiple mobs spawn before you can loot one that you killed

I experienced this on my main. Its pretty frustrating and I dont agree with the blue response either. The challenge in this area should be world pvping with the opposite faction not chipping away at the constantly spawning semi elite mobs health, which are an endless harassment more than anything else.

I don't go there anymore and my gaming experience is so much more enjoyable.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

Personally, I'd like to see the island just a little bigger. The entire island is too small and gives it this feeling of claustrophobia, IMO. I understand that yes, it's a daily hub and there's supposed to be danger, but adds spawning on top of you is just not fun, and if there was more room to spread the spawnpoints out, it would really do wonders for making it a better zone.
Reply Quote
75 Blood Elf Hunter
The rewards and benefits for doing Tol Barad quests are quite nice. Players jumping straight into the zone when hitting 85 (either in quest greens or some dungeon blues) will certainly notice it's substantially more challenging than Twilight Highlands.

The balance of the zone partially relates to its sustainability as repeatable content for players at all levels of the end game. When I first started questing there I was in all questing gear and definitely noticed the challenge, but I liked it. As I started gearing up I saw how much better I was faring while taking high damage, managing unpredictable spawns, etc.

The basic point is that, because there are some great rewards there a lot of players are working toward, the questing needs to be more difficult than a place like Twilight Highlands so it doesn't feel incredibly trivial by the time you have a 329 average item level.

The rewards, for doing the quests, isn't all that great. It's the benefits that almost make it worth it. So by saying "challenging" you mean highly frustrating with insane respawn times, and hitting fresh 85s as if they're 10 lvls below the mob. Making it hard doesn't mean it'll be challenging, or fun.

Do you really think many players will go back once they hit the lvl of rep they want?? Most will get their rep up, get the gear they want, then never step foot back in the zone for the dailys.

This is a game. It will always be trivial. Seems like Blizzard has taken an elitist mentality of late. Like creating an elitist menatlity was really needed in a game. Too many are already elitist, just read some of the responses here. It's a game, there are all kinds that play, elitist, casuals, scrubs, nubs, whatever name you wanna give people. But in the end, it's still just a game. If you're not happy, with how the game plays, don't play it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

Are there any plans to add new areas like this? I'd love to see an IQD 2.0.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
03/03/2011 3:21 PMPosted by Tsukasa
Are there any plans to add new areas like this? I'd love to see an IQD 2.0.

I think someone on MMO champ said that there were rumors in the 4.1 PTR of there being a new daily hub somewhere. I hope it's more spread out than TB is.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I can do both islands every daily in around 25 minutes (southern ones average 10-11)

Its not hard with gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

They dailys aren't too bad either if you find a partner. Most people are doing them and if you have to go into the Hole or Cell Block D (or that other place that never seems to spawn), it makes it a lot easier if you're with a partner.

I usually find someone in my guild. If a player is not in a guild, they can always try to find a friend to schedule a time to do the dailys.

After all, it has been told to us time and time again how WoW is a team sport. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
03/03/2011 3:21 PMPosted by Spicolie
Seems like Blizzard has taken an elitist mentality of late. Like creating an elitist menatlity was really needed in a game

This.

The main reason WoW has numbers it has was that it was the least elitist MMO around. Somehow with Cata they have forgotten about that.

IMHO, they spent so much time on 1-60 that they did not have enough time to do 85 properly. So they made everything over-tuned to make it last longer.
Edited by Pantagana on 3/3/2011 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I like the Tol Barad dailies for some reason. It almost seems like a job for my toon to do. I haven't felt that way about something in WoW for a long time.

However, the respawn rate is crazy. While I die only sometimes, it takes a long time for me to get out of an area. Rustberg, for example: I spent 10 extra minutes trying to get out of there, because mobs would respawn right after I killed it, and more would spawn around me, and the rogues would pop out of nowhere. I dislike doing that one the most.
While I do like the TB dailies, I would love them if the mobs spawned a little slower.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
The main reason WoW has numbers it has was that it was the least elitist MMO around. Somehow with Cata they have forgotten about that.

IMHO, they spent so much time on 1-60 that they did not have enough time to do 85 properly. So they made everything over-tuned to make it last longer.

Nothing on the island is overtuned. There's a difference between the devs being "elitist" and making the game require effort. Wotlk was neither, and this one's the latter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]