Patch 4.1/4.2 Content

100 Tauren Paladin
too soon

You're forgiven.
85 Dwarf Paladin
I was bored and had nothing else to do so my brain forced me to do this.
If any Blizzard employee happens to read this, the stuff directed your way is mostly near the end of the post.

87 days down IF they plan to do the supposed Q2 2012 release date for the next expansion.

That leaves anywhere between April 1, 2012 (481 days or 1 year, 3 months, 25 days/ 394 days left) and June 30, 2012 (571 days or 1 year, 6 months, 23 days / 484 days left).
That is around 394 to 484 days left (481-571 days worth of Cataclysm), IF they plan to hit that mark. This is well below the previous 735 day average between releases.

Looking back at the days between major (25/40) raid releases we have the following.

Raid -> Raid: Days since last raid release / Days since product release
World of Warcraft release raids -> Blackwing Lair: 231 / 231
Blackwing Lair -> Temple of Ahn'Qiraj: 175 / 406
Temple of Ahn'Qiraj -> Naxxramas: 168 / 574

Burning Crusade release raids -> Black Temple: 126 / 126
Black Temple -> Sunwell: 308 / 434

Wrath of the Lich King release raids -> Ulduar: 152 / 152
Ulduar -> Trial of the Crusader: 112 / 264
Trial of the Crusader -> Icecrown Citadel (completely open): 126 / 390 (182 / 446)
Icecrown Citadel (completely open) -> Ruby Sanctum: 196 / 586 (140)

Average for Vanilla: 191 days
Average for Burning Crusade: 217
Average for Wrath: 146, 223 if you are the type to only count Ulduar and Icecrown as "worthy"
Overall: 184 or 210 for the Ulduar/Icecrown crowd

So while Blizzard wanted to put in Firelands with patch 4.1 it goes against the past info. They have stated they want to release patches in a more consistent manner, which they will have to given the shorter lifespan if sticking to the Q2 2012 plan. Even with splitting the supposed raids to be added (Firelands, War of the Ancients, Deathwing) between the lifespan pending Q2 2012 release of X4, they would have to shoot for 120-142 days between each to keep on track.

Firelands: April 6, 2011 - April 28, 2011
War of the Ancients: August 4, 2011 - September 17, 2011
Deathwing: December 2, 2011 - February 6, 2012

This is only assuming these 3 major announced raids taking place in separate patches.

Verdict: 120-142 days to make a raid zone should be within grasp. This all depends though on the state of the development team and if it has fallen victim to any of the many possible things that happen in the industry to impede timely releases.

Just going by say next week for instance I would go with the Icecrown method of time gates but with a twist that some bosses require a summon like in Molten Core. This would allow a slow gathering of gear and working on bosses while still allowing further tweaks to the remaining ones. People get new content and the ones that still need work at least have a lore reason as to why they are not available.

Set initial open phase with half of the supposed 7 bosses. Go with 3 for the time being.
March 8: First 3 bosses which require no gate opening / method to summon
March 15: Boss 4
March 22: Boss 5
March 29: Boss 6
April 5: Ragnaros!!!

Max bosses killed on full clears before first Ragnaros attempt: 18

If test server is not helping to truly test the complete nature of bosses for enough people you can look into putting the next weeks boss on live with a warning that it will drop no loot, gold only for the trouble of course. I would imagine enough guilds would work on it that previous week on live to help sort out the issues and learn the mechanics for their race to kill the world first when it was released in the next weeks final version.

April 5th in this example would be the true release date deadline for Firelands as a complete raid. It could be any date you want. While players like a complete zone it has shown in the past that it is not required and can work if done properly. Come on Blizzard, unleash that inner dungeon master magic of old/new and come up with new methods of content releases and stay ahead of the pack once again. I am willing to take some freelance work off your hands if imagination has left the building.
Edited by Nywro on 3/4/2011 5:06 AM PST
Im sorry to sound like a flamer, but my god people have no concept of time... This only means 2.1(ZA and ZG) will be coming out SOONER rather than later since it is no longer bundled with the new tier of raiding.

Honestly if you cant get hyped over content like ZA for filler gear and DE'd crystals; gtfo by all means, you dont understand how the majority of the players operate.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

4.1 is still going to take 6-8 weeks in the PTR.

4.2 will take another 6-8 weeks in the PTR.

This sucks.
03/03/2011 5:59 PMPosted by Krøg
wth? we lose a whole raid tier!? im out bye quitting now. gl to u all

Illiterate players such as yourself will not be missed.

OMG i was waiting for someone to catch that nubs EPIC FAIL xD
85 Gnome Priest
I'm glad. I want to at least be able to beat normal mode first before it becomes obsolete.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
With the current tier of raiding being pro-longed for everyone to experience it (yay), what will happen to the Crimson Fire Hawk that was seen on the PTR by a GM. Will the Firehawks be included into 4.1 or are they, indeed, linked to the new raiding tier?
90 Draenei Shaman
Im confused as to why a lot of players who have not finished 12/12, some not even 6/12 in the cata reg content are asking for the next tier of raiding already. maybe they just want blizzard to throw some epic gear at them so they might be able to clear some of the bosses in the current tier and maybe the first 1 or 2 in firelands. (On my server, even after the easy frost emblem gear and 30% buff in ICC, AND all the character buffs during the patches - pugs could only blast through the first 6, then would get stuck on the fights where you had to move and be somewhat co-ordinated)

Im not on the best server and my guild has only downed 9/12 so far. ive really enjoyed majority of the fights i have seen, and would love to get to enjoy them all and finish them before firelands comes out. <3 Chimaeron. i dont mind waiting a while for firelands to come out. it took ulduar 5 months after the release of WoTLK when naxx was pretty cakewalk, and look how awesome that raid was.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Im confused as to why a lot of players who have not finished 12/12, some not even 6/12 in the cata reg content are asking for the next tier of raiding already. maybe they just want blizzard to throw some epic gear at them so they might be able to clear some of the bosses in the current tier and maybe the first 1 or 2 in firelands. (On my server, even after the easy frost emblem gear and 30% buff in ICC, AND all the character buffs during the patches - pugs could only blast through the first 6, then would get stuck on the fights where you had to move and be somewhat co-ordinated)

Im not on the best server and my guild has only downed 9/12 so far. ive really enjoyed majority of the fights i have seen, and would love to get to enjoy them all and finish them before firelands comes out. <3 Chimaeron. i dont mind waiting a while for firelands to come out. it took ulduar 5 months after the release of WoTLK when naxx was pretty cakewalk, and look how awesome that raid was.

I'm 9/12 too and I can tell you that we are on the home stretch of content. I was pushing my guild to down Cho'Gall this weekend, Nefarian next weekend and Al'Akir sometime in the future (Random Loot doesn't interest me....) You'll be done in a couple weeks just as I will and Heroics are just "hit harder more adds" versions of the bosses....Hardly worth noting so if you want to do them, good luck with it not getting stale. I'm the RL and GM and I'm probably going to start getting bored waiting on new content to come out.
6 Human Hunter
Only you have the numbers Blizzard and I know you'll never say, but I have to ask;

What percentage of your players participated in the WotLK raid content? (at all.)

vs.

What percentage of your players participated in the solo and small group content of WotLK (e.g. Argent Tournament's quest lines & dailies)?

I know that you guys are bound and determined to (try) and force large group play down our collective throats but it's a big mistake. You're putting far too much effort and emphasis on all the wrong things.

I don't care what anyone says. This game needs meaningful solo progressive character development at level cap. Not just "go collect some pokemon and mounts if you want something to do".

85 Goblin Death Knight
Only you have the numbers Blizzard and I know you'll never say, but I have to ask;

What percentage of your players participated in the WotLK raid content? (at all.)

vs.

What percentage of your players participated in the solo and small group content of WotLK (e.g. Argent Tournament's quest lines & dailies)?

I know that you guys are bound and determined to (try) and force large group play down our collective throats but it's a big mistake. You're putting far too much effort and emphasis on all the wrong things.

I don't care what anyone says. This game needs meaningful solo progressive character development at level cap. Not just "go collect some pokemon and mounts if you want something to do".

That goes against the whole design of an MMO. You should be encouraging people to group up instead of being anti-social and doing things all on their own. That's why they made it worthwhile to be in a guild again. That's why Raids, 5 mans, arena, and PvP are what you do at end game. If you want something you can do at endgame and do it alone, stick to 5 mans and BGs but you might not get the best gear. The Best gear is for those who will participate in what make MMOs MMOs.....Grouping with others consistently to overcome monumental challenges.

With that said.....I'm still not happy a "major content patch" is being released with just 2 recycled 5 mans but Blizzard is going to do it anyway. They aren't going to listen to their raiders anymore. They're only going to listen to the people who are pulling 5k DPS in heroics still....I guess people were quitting because they'd rather give up than try to get better but That's not blizz's fault but I guess Activi$ion is sucking all the life out of them and they only care about the bottom line now instead of giving a quality product to all.
71 Night Elf Rogue
since they have done the new download I can not play the game. I can get signed in but it will not connect to the game server correctly . I have tried everything from redownloading the game to taking my firewalls off. What else can I try? Tried the support thing on the site for the game but no help.
90 Draenei Shaman

Sorry that your guild is 12/12 hardmode and you have nothing to do. I'm sure that you are hiding your amazing pixels from us by posting on this 58 alt death knight.

Clearly you don't understand why they're doing this. People aren't 12/12 normal. This is like people whiping all day on Garr in MC and them releasing BWL. It makes NO sense.

Hmmm... this smells like a vote for making content more accessible again.

You see how this works hardcore people? You would get more content too if you didn't want them to make this game inaccessible to anybody but the best players. Now they've done that with Cata. You've made your bed, now you gotta sleep in it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So they tune this expansion to difficulties for hardcore raiders, now leave hardcore raiders with nothing to do because they decided they want casuals to do it too(yet it may still be too much for casuals) smooth blizzard...im not hardcore nor do i even really raid anymore, but to the hardcores, i feel bad for you cause there really isnt much to do as it is now.
90 Human Paladin
The next announcement will be that the new 5 man will not be in 4.1. All we will get is the 2 rehashed troll instances. Another obvious sign that this patch is being massively hurried to hopefully stem the tide of all the cancellations.

But in my opinion it may have the opposite effect.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't have much to add to the conversation accept the fact that I'm all for this new approach. I know a lot of closed mind people see this as just, "Wtf? No raid?". But I rather like the idea of smaller, more frequent content rather then longer and larger content. =)

I think this new approach will turn out for the better.

Great job Blizz!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]