Outdated SMF guide. Please remove sticky. :)

(Locked)

85 Goblin Priest
Hello, I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but why is Nok better for SMF warriors than, say, souldrinker?
90 Undead Warrior
The proc from Nok is just better than the proc from souldrinker and because Nok being a higher item level weapon has higher damage so we use it. The strength of the proc and higher weapon damage makes it better than any other 1h

to clarify some Noks damage proc gets bonuses in damage from CDs and such like deathwish
the proc from Souldrinker if i remember correctly is always based on health no matter what
Edited by Bloodward on 6/21/2012 12:11 PM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
Why are people saying Nok is higher item lvl and higher damage then Souldrinker? They are the exact same ilvl and dmg not counting the procs.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Thanks for the info. Though I may have missed something. Some SMF warriors like ENH shammies stack hit past the 8% melee cap. Is that something people looking to switch to SMF should look into?
87 Orc Warrior
I've played around a lot with Fury/Arms on the MoP Beta.

There's something missing.

I don't know how to describe it, but something about the current rotations for both just don't feel "Fun" to me. Arms is better than Fury, but both are lacking something.

Anyone else feel this way?

Maybe I'm spoiled because I've been playing my frost dk a lot lately, and I'm really enjoying playing with 2 resources instead of 1.

Yes. I'm especially disappointed with SMF. Hey maybe in the end it'll all work out though.
90 Tauren Druid
Vagen as useless as it is im was comparing all the weapon from DS remember there is still another one hander with str although the post sounds like i was just comparing SD and Nok
Edited by Resti on 7/5/2012 11:13 PM PDT
90 Worgen Warrior
I've been pretty bad at keeping up with this thread, apologies to everyone. Graduating from college, looking for a job, Diablo 3, and ultimately boredom from clearing H DS every week since March/April have led to a severe lack of WoW in my schedule.

(Yes, I am still searching for employment! :) )

However, after considering all of the changes currently in MoP Beta, I have decided to continue my "tradition" of playing a different class every expansion. Rogue for wrath, Warrior for Cata, and Deathknight for MoP.

Naturally, that will mean that I will be no longer involved in SMF-theorycrafting. I might do some small work with the DK, but the DK community seems to already have dedicated individuals to all of the specs/subspecs. I will ask moderators to unsticky this thread when MoP is released, but I will keep in touch until then. :)

My DK is this guy: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Externality/simple

Best of luck to everyone, and if you ever see me around on Externality or Collision, feel free to send me a message. I'm known for being chronically AFK, but if I'm at the computer I will respond. :)
90 Blood Elf Warrior
deleted
Edited by Kulso on 7/31/2012 9:14 PM PDT
90 Worgen Warrior
So, I don't much like Arms so I went back to SMF and took the dps hit. I have a RF Souldrinker or either 378 weapon for the offhand. Logic says that the 378 offhands should still be better because the secondary stats you'd think would outweigh the wdps and 20 str and reduced proc of SD in the offhand.

Landsoul's spreadsheet however marks the RF Souldrinker as a dps upgrade from the Dragonshrine scepter or Treachery's Bite in the offhand. Is this accurate?
90 Worgen Warrior
So, I don't much like Arms so I went back to SMF and took the dps hit. I have a RF Souldrinker or either 378 weapon for the offhand. Logic says that the 378 offhands should still be better because the secondary stats you'd think would outweigh the wdps and 20 str and reduced proc of SD in the offhand.

Landsoul's spreadsheet however marks the RF Souldrinker as a dps upgrade from the Dragonshrine scepter or Treachery's Bite in the offhand. Is this accurate?

LS's spreadsheet is fairly accurate, however, I would have said that the RF souldrinker would be a dps loss in comparison to the sceptor/bite, at least in the offhand.

I can't remember the secondary stats on those weapons, but I believe they have expertise on them? What may be happening is you are going over cap on expertise and it is pushing the weapons below RF souldrinker due to that.
90 Night Elf Warrior
I have a question regarding the execute phase. Its always said to only use execute to maintain the 5 stack of executioner, and continue with the regular rotation.

I was checking over some logs and noticed that execute does more (average) damage in both hits and crits than BT or any other spell. Why is it not advisable to merely spam execute? It's not like rage is an issue as SMF; more often than not, I can use IR and throw in a few heroic strikes while executing as well.
90 Worgen Warrior
I have a question regarding the execute phase. Its always said to only use execute to maintain the 5 stack of executioner, and continue with the regular rotation.

I was checking over some logs and noticed that execute does more (average) damage in both hits and crits than BT or any other spell. Why is it not advisable to merely spam execute? It's not like rage is an issue as SMF; more often than not, I can use IR and throw in a few heroic strikes while executing as well.

Well, this is kind of already covered (Copy/paste from first page)

Execute phase:
Execute is no longer our hardest hitting ability as blizzard buffed everything else and to make this easy… you’re basically only going to use execute to maintain the 25% haste buff and as an extreme rage dump.

When it’s ok to execute:

• Getting stacks of executioner up to 5, or when executioner is going to expire in 2 seconds.
  • Rage is above 50, or the boss is going to die in the next 3 seconds and you need to empty out your rage bar.
  • As a filler during colossus smash, if you don’t have a slam proc, you can do BT_Execute_BT instead. (Due to rage capping you will actually do this a lot.)
  • ^ If you have an incredibly low latency (<60 MS) it's a slight dps boost to do CS-EXE-EXE-EXE-EXE as you can fit in 4 executes during a CS duration. ONLY do this if you have a mostly full rage bar going into colossus smash. If you're using 10-20 rage executes it is a dps loss. If you do this, it is probably a good idea to only use execute outside of colossus smash if you have 60+ rage to ensure you have more rage to dump out with 4 executes. It's a really really small dps gain, (maybe 150 dps at most) so if you aren't comfortable with it, don't worry about doing it.
  • You will NEVER use raging blow during execute, and you should avoid using heroic strike as much as possible.
  • Generally during execute phase your rage income is high enough that your rotation will end up being BT-Exe-Bt-(slam proc?)-Bt-Exe, with very very few free GCDs.

I suppose I should adjust the first line to say that execute is no longer our hardest hit ability per rage.

The reason why you don't just spam execute is the same as not spamming heroic strike: There are moves that deal more damage per rage (Bloodthirst) and we are not constantly rage capped on most encounters. If you ARE rage-capped, then it generally is better to just spam execute, but there are few encounters where that is a problem.

Bloodthirst is a really REALLY good ability. The damage-per-rage analysis that I did for this guide doesn't even include that 30% chance to proc bloodsurge, which will boost the efficiency of bloodthirst another 30%.
    90 Worgen Warrior
    As the MoP pre-patch is released tomorrow, I am officially asking that the forum mods remove the sticky from this thread. I don't want anyone accidentally using old information.

Thank you all for reading this, I hope that it was a helpful guide. It sucks that fury fell out of favor in 4.3, but 4.1/4.2 were fun times.

I'll probably play my warrior in MoP, and most certainly will be playing SMF tomorrow and as long as the subspec is viable. I doubt I'll do much "theorycrafting" myself, but I'll poke my head around occasionally. :)
    Edited by Collision on 8/27/2012 3:38 AM PDT
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]