Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide 6.2

(Sticky)

100 Draenei Paladin
I still am unable to see the talent trees. :(

What do I do?

http://wowtal.com/#k=7szq-4SA.aei.paladin
http://wowtal.com/#k=CsoKmCkI.aei.paladin

problem solved

It only shows up as a blank screen, I can't see anything else but the background.

How can I fix it? :(
Edited by Shaark on 1/15/2012 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
How important is capping on expertise because I have looked all over and about half have it around ten and the other half have it around the cap. Which would you suggest?
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
This is an AWESOME guide but I guess what I am looking for is a RET PVE build. Is that much different than the RET PVP build?

Thanks.

Chastain
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Aside from the Really Expensive enchants and gems. What do you guys think of my build. I'm really loving the play style of 2 piece Tier 13 set. Popping off WoG on cool down pretty much while maintaining Templar's Verdict.

General consensus. Tier 13, 2 Piece Set worth it?
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
I guess Vanguardy can comment best on this. Any word on my last post Vanguardy?

Chastain
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
check out my armory, i have a ret pvp spec for last word right now and a pve spec that's talented towards exorcism. While I cant be 100% confident the PvE spec is the best, it can give u a rough idea. Most ret's pve spec is similar to mine other than the 50% bonus heal part, lots of rets put those 2 points into somewhere else.
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
01/20/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Vanguards
check out my armory, i have a ret pvp spec for last word right now and a pve spec that's talented towards exorcism. While I cant be 100% confident the PvE spec is the best, it can give u a rough idea. Most ret's pve spec is similar to mine other than the 50% bonus heal part, lots of rets put those 2 points into somewhere else.

THNK YOU! You are the first one in two weeks to respond to any of my requests on a sample build. That's all I want is a sample.

Thanks!

Chastain
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Crit Mastery Argument some points:

Things to considered for crit / mastery:

1.) 2PC - I don't have 2pc because the rng gods have decided not to ever drop pants in any of my raids, also I'm practicing for tournies that doesn't allow PvE gear. so i have not taken this into calculation for my own. If you do take this into calculation however, 2pc obviously favors mastery more. 2PC = more Holy Power = more TV towards ur damage. If you're running a comp where u can be in melee range a lot, do melee attacks a lot and u have 2pc, mastery would > crit.

2.) What comp are you running - if you're running triple dps u should usually go crit. Crit helps towards last word spec which is good when 40second hoj does much less in an arena match that doesn't usually last more than a minute. Also a slightly harder hitting TV in a triple dps match is much less important than a sudden RNG crit heal or crit attack.

3.) What are you fighting - you can't predict this, but I do plan to get 2 sets of Ret PvP Gear. 1 Set for when I'm fighting something I plainly barely get to attack in melee range (mage anyone?) which would be crit. but if i'm fighting say a warrior melee cleave team that trains my dk when I run ret dk priest, mastery would do much better. I'm TVing / crusader striking probably 3x as much as I would against a mage team, making mastery 3x better than it usually is.

4.) How you play - how often do u stay in melee range when u play in PvP? Do you LOS a lot? I los 80% of the games against wizard teams rendering mastery quite useless since I melee once every 20 seconds. Or do you run in and try to just melee / train something down for 5 minutes straight? Mastery might be better for that.

5.) Your Spec - If your last word crit can be much more favorable as having that extra crit for that heal to happen is important. it kinda blows when u have last word and ur heal doesn't crit when ur partner is about to die.

6.) Length of your games - similar ideas, short games favor crit as u probably hammer of wrath spam to be a large % of ur damage making crit more favorable.

hope this helps = )

This is my answer to every1, u can also check out my facebook page at www.facebook.com/samk920 for my faq answers.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
How much mastery is too much mastery?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/26/2012 03:43 AMPosted by Vêndêttå
so what do i do about haveing 40 expertise and missing at least 30% of my Crusader strikes (also have 5%hit) im so tired of this RNGfest im about to quit wow

40 expertise is waaaaay too much, just try and get behind your target and get the pve 2 piece :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I want to get into Ret PvP at 85, but I've noticed that I have no slows besides Seal of Justice. Whenever I come up against a caster (especially a Mage), I'm completely screwed because I can't get in range of them at all, and when I can use HoJ, they can simply trinket or blink out of it.

How can I get in range of casters and stay on them?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I want to get into Ret PvP at 85, but I've noticed that I have no slows besides Seal of Justice. Whenever I come up against a caster (especially a Mage), I'm completely screwed because I can't get in range of them at all, and when I can use HoJ, they can simply trinket or blink out of it.

freedom cleanse
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

freedom cleanse

What if Freedom is dispelled/purged/stolen and I end up oom'ing from spamming Cleanse?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

freedom cleanse

What if Freedom is dispelled/purged/stolen and I end up oom'ing from spamming Cleanse?

your just bad if u run out of mana from cleanse

we can't peel or slow, deal with it
Edited by Töp on 1/28/2012 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Some help you are top. The man has some serious questions, I suggest we answer them.

lolbubble, might I suggest going for the glyph of cleansing? it reduces your mana cost of cleanse, allowing you to cast more of them. Also remember to judge your target on cooldown as this provides mana. Finally do not forget you have divine plea, to regenerate mana (at the cost of reduced healing for the duration)

I know mages can be particularly difficult, as can hunters, but stick to it, and eventually you will see their entire bag of tricks being used. Once you know everything they can and will do, you can practice around it.

HoJ'ing after blink, repentance to close a big gap, freedom when you're in melee so you can't be slowed causing them to attempt to remove your ability rather than dps you, potentially even forgetting to get away.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Does the same thing apply in PvE?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Hey, I've been watching some of your old streams in 3s and I have some questions.

What macro do you use to fear pets? It seems you don't drop your current target but you are able to fear most kinds of pets.

When you use focus target for rep/hoj for the healer lets say, but then decide to go on the healer and want to cc a dps, do you switch focus or do you just have multiple rep/hoj buttons binded?
Edited by Rolla on 1/31/2012 7:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
23 Human Paladin
how does a ret pal set up his burst?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Vanguardy, thank you for this comprehensive guide on how to play a ret paladin in pvp. I have re-specced, reforged, and enchanted in accordance with this guide (for the most part) and have seen more success in bg's and arena alike. I checked your gear and stats and noticed something that I thought I would bring to your attention.

I'm still new and am doing alot of reading trying to understand how everything works but I noticed that you didn't have any Bold Chimera's Eye socketed in your items.
(http://www.wowhead.com/spell=73396/bold-chimeras-eye) Is that because you are no longer a JC? there is a +17 stat differential between it and the bold queen's garnet. I am planning to socket better gems in my cata gear as I acquire the pieces and wanted your thoughts on the chimera's eye before purchasing the regeants.
Edited by Zymelio on 2/1/2012 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]