Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide 7.0.3

(Sticky)

90 Human Paladin
hi new to wow.

question on gems -> which is usually better for PvP (mostly BGs, not gonna arena for a while till i setup my macros/get used to rotations for ret pally)

crit or haste?

thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
hi new to wow.

question on gems -> which is usually better for PvP (mostly BGs, not gonna arena for a while till i setup my macros/get used to rotations for ret pally)

crit or haste?

thanks.

Get crit over haste. Haste is useless for a ret pally.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
03/10/2011 11:54 AMPosted by Svayne

People who are serious about PvP...

03/10/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Svayne
Pretty much, but how many people are smart enough to go to AJ themselves?
<~~ this person .. considering this forum gave me a sense of deja vu.....
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Awesome guide, many thanx for everything and keep up the good work!
Reply Quote
6 Human Mage
Why is there so much text to explain ret pvp? you have a whole 2 attacks. Crusader Strike.. and use your judgment.. other then that be smart with freedome / bop / bubble / sac... oh and WoG yourself or partner to full anytime they are sub 30%.

Saying paladins are on the under powerd side.. omfg hahaha hahahah hahaha... thats why your class does 600k dmg and 600k healing in the same match when other straight dps classes are doing 600k dmg only. Get real, your class is completely retarded this season.
Reply Quote
6 Human Mage
Figures 0 Retadins would even respond, weird, know they OP much? lololol... such a skilless class. anyone not 2200 as a ret with 90+% of comps are obviously trash and should reroll a pve class to play... if you cant even handle ret pvp... can you even handle anything at all?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/23/2012 10:50 PMPosted by Megababelol
Figures 0 Retadins would even respond, weird, know they OP much? lololol... such a skilless class. anyone not 2200 as a ret with 90+% of comps are obviously trash and should reroll a pve class to play... if you cant even handle ret pvp... can you even handle anything at all?

I had to lye down for 10 minutes after reading that. Anything above 1800 needs a competent brain and a lot of practice as well as some luck no matter what comp you run, the majority of Players will never reach that rating which is why it's such a prestigious achievement. Retribution is at quite a lower tier then the top performing classes such as rogues and mages. Its people like you who throw out mindless judgements about classes and don't actually understand all aspects of it that suffer when fighting one.

true, our healing and damage are exceptional in most fights but its entirely situational and that sought of healing is only capable on other players when spec'd correctly. what you don't understand is that we lack cc and any form of slow, as well as the fact that we suffer a tremendous lack of holy power generation since we only generate holy power through crusader strike (without 2 piece) which can be dodged parryed and missed. i know for a fact that if i don't generate enough holy power early in a fight my partner is toast. don't make these obnoxious comments like yours on our forum during server downtime boredom kthnx
Reply Quote
6 Human Mage
Not boredom.. its fact. Too many times rets have just as much healing as dmg done and they do the most dmg in the match, that right there is abo*%#%ely rediculous. I have a ret, and absolutely hate it from the fact that they dont do anything, but yet they do so much for doing nothing. 1800 an accomplishment? oh god... you're joking right? You lack CC? hammer / repent isnt CC? Your comment about things being dodged so you dont get holy power is completely void also, every class can be dodged or parry.. and not get their stuff, such as combo points for rogues / ferals.. How are pallys on a lower tier then a rogue or mage? That arguement also makes no sense at all. Going back to the dodge / parry. On my rogue.. if I dont generate combo points for stuns due to being dodged or what not.. I cant do anything either, catch my drift. Rets need either a damage or healing nerf, or make it so your heals have to be cast.. not instant.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So I have a question. I currently have the PvE 2 piece and Gurth that I use in PvP. I just got Heroic Bone-Link Fetish.

Which of these PvE items should I use in PvP? Using all of them would put my resil rather low, so I'm not really sure.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Some bad who lost to a re pally in a duel. QQ moar troll your butthurt is rather nutritious and sustains me.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
04/24/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Megababelol
Your comment about things being dodged so you dont get holy power is completely void also, every class can be dodged or parry.. and not get their stuff, such as combo points for rogues / ferals..

Rets have a hard time getting Holy Power if they get dodged because their only Holy Power generator is on a 4.5 sec cooldown. Rogues/Ferals can get 2 combo points per sec if they wanted to, whether they got dodged or not.

04/23/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Megababelol
thats why your class does 600k dmg and 600k healing in the same match when other straight dps classes are doing 600k dmg only.

The damage and healing a Ret can to is supernatural. The mobility, however, is not.
Ret's have no reliable gap closer. They have the Judgement speed boost, Cleanse to get out of slows, but that's it. Most of the time, a Ret would be spamming Cleanse rather than attacking because they're up against a Frost Mage or Hunter. Against melee, sure they're great at that, but when you start getting kited in arenas, you can do nothing. You can't get Holy Power because you're not in range for Crusader Strike, therefore no heals or massive damage.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I can not decide if unholy death knights or ret paladins are the most op class right now, word of glory can hit for 120k, instant heal, no mana cost, and it's coming from a f***ing melee dps. Seriously, if u can't hit 1800 with an unholy dk, ret pally rouge 3s comp, go fight deathwing. Its literally that simple. Rebuke, a burst macro, hoj repentance divine shield and word of glory. 6 buttons can take a ret pally to at least 1800 in 3s.

"i'll just mass dispel his divine shield...cool its down, wait, where did he just get 65% of his health bar from?"

Word of Glory
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Not boredom.. its fact. Too many times rets have just as much healing as dmg done and they do the most dmg in the match, that right there is abo*%#%ely rediculous. I have a ret, and absolutely hate it from the fact that they dont do anything, but yet they do so much for doing nothing. 1800 an accomplishment? oh god... you're joking right? You lack CC? hammer / repent isnt CC? Your comment about things being dodged so you dont get holy power is completely void also, every class can be dodged or parry.. and not get their stuff, such as combo points for rogues / ferals.. How are pallys on a lower tier then a rogue or mage? That arguement also makes no sense at all. Going back to the dodge / parry. On my rogue.. if I dont generate combo points for stuns due to being dodged or what not.. I cant do anything either, catch my drift. Rets need either a damage or healing nerf, or make it so your heals have to be cast.. not instant.

Rogue/feral druid combo point system is much more forgiving then holy power, you generate both combo points and energy at a considerably faster rate then holy power ever will. providing both cc or in combo points case, healing. Holy power is our only resource, we do not have a 'fall back' resource to use if one is insufficient at the time. we have 2 cc's in our entire tool kit, huge right? don't make me count rogue's, I don't have enough fingers. the fact that crusader strike is susceptible to avoidance is a common complaint among ret paladins, you are only fanning a fire here. please go read a book or something and stop making these QQ just got beaten by a ret pally complaints on class forums. you can go complain on general forums all you want where mods can get excited about your post.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Just so you know, Magebabelol is posting as a Mage, which are hard counters to Ret Paladins. If he is complaining about how OP Rets are, he must be bad...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hey everyone!

Just posted Vanguards 6 over here : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4768348416

It has ret dk priest, ret hunter druid, and ret ret priest. Hopefully it's entertaining and maybe helps answer some questions! I'll be posting some commentated versions of my pvp clips soon!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
nice!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Why is there so much text to explain ret pvp? you have a whole 2 attacks. Crusader Strike.. and use your judgment.. other then that be smart with freedome / bop / bubble / sac... oh and WoG yourself or partner to full anytime they are sub 30%.

Saying paladins are on the under powerd side.. omfg hahaha hahahah hahaha... thats why your class does 600k dmg and 600k healing in the same match when other straight dps classes are doing 600k dmg only. Get real, your class is completely retarded this season.

Calm down PVE guy. You have zero concept of retribution in arena. In fact, you have zero concept of arena in general. Keep rocking 1200.
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been running last word spec for a while now, but looking at the spec you have posted on the OP I have a few questions. Why even pick up JotP at all when nobody opts to pick up SoB for pvp anymore? The 9% haste gives such little in terms of autoswing damage and when you aren't even maxing AoW that just further diminishes what it brings to the table. Protector of the Innocent, though, I find is absolutely amazing, especially when stacking crit. Healing your partner with a massive WoG bomb for 60k then yourself for 15-20k can bring games around faster than just about anything else ret can do. It just meshes so well with Selfless healer and Last Word that I don't know why you would ever choose JotP instead.

And why SotP over Eternal Glory? How important is the 12% to your overall game? Your seal and censure damage is good but it isn't even close to being your hardest hitting ability, even with the 12%. EG has its obvious benefits and is pretty clutch when you are forced to keep WoG off CD.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/30/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Maballsies
And why SotP over Eternal Glory? How important is the 12% to your overall game? Your seal and censure damage is good but it isn't even close to being your hardest hitting ability, even with the 12%. EG has its obvious benefits and is pretty clutch when you are forced to keep WoG off CD.

Most rets don't want to rely on more RNG than they already have to. EG was only good when WoG had no cooldown. SotP gives you a (very small) passive damage boost by increasing melee haste (and I guess casting haste for those really rare moments). EG is probably better for triple DPS comps, but in traditional comps you might not use WoG on cooldown anyway.

As for SoB, it's meant to work with SotP. Unfortunately, even together, you're better off spending that 1 talent point filling out AoW or something more useful.
Edited by Lobster on 4/30/2012 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
Most rets don't want to rely on more RNG than they already have to. EG was only good when WoG had no cooldown. SotP gives you a (very small) passive damage boost by increasing melee haste (and I guess casting haste for those really rare moments). EG is probably better for triple DPS comps, but in traditional comps you might not use WoG on cooldown anyway.

As for SoB, it's meant to work with SotP. Unfortunately, even together, you're better off spending that 1 talent point filling out AoW or something more useful.

Even if EG is still RNG, I don't think you can say it's not good anymore... Unless you run 2pc pve you can get screwed out of HoPo with 4.5sec on CS. A free WoG and the ability to toss up Inq or a TV with the same HoPo is pretty dang good. If you can't actively attack your target all game, or just want to put more focus on your offheals, that passive damage increase is really not important. It is choosing to play more defensively, but the offensive choice is kind of subpar anyways, so I think the survivability it brings is more useful. But that's just my opinion I guess.

I agree, SoB should never be picked up. My point was why would anyone pick up JotP since you aren't getting SoB. JotP was only picked up for AoW and SoB in the first place, and without those playing a huge role in PvP it just seems like the talent is, again, a subpar offensive choice when you can get a worthwhile survivability talent in its place.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]