Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide 6.0.3

(Sticky)

83 Human Paladin
Interesting stuff..i like
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm having a lot of issues with Mages - Frost, that is - lately. I. Can't. Touch. Them. Any pointers from whomever would be nice.
Edited by Svayne on 4/4/2011 8:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Has anyone else had problems with their divine protection? I was facing a warlock/rogue 2s team and had to bubble, my bubble activated, cd started, but no bubble. I died because my bubble did not protect me when i tried to FoL. Can anyone tell me if a rogue or warlock can dispel divine protection?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
well im not happy with any of thes patches every time they do something i get this pounding sensation and what is some crit im sorry but im thing that wow is keeping us guess and u are too i need hard evidence
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Vanguardy what is your opinion on the Selfless Healer damage buff?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm curious about selfless healer as well. This guide a few months back honestly gave me the push I needed to change from holy to ret. I'm so glad I did now.

With 4.1 I'll need a new spec that has divine storm. And a decent keybind to put it on. Will that be used when theres 4+ targets around?

I'm a bit worried about 4.1 and WoG nerf. Honestly I know I'm going to die more often in BGs and that will cause me frustration and stress I might not play as much. I just dont like playing when I'm straight mad. Dying tends to do that to me. I dont know how it will be but I'm trying to stay positive and make the best of it. A stronger potential damage buff, but I dont know if its worth using often even on divine purpose procs. Maybe when it can actually save a useful life in a useful situation, in addition to giving a damage buff. Example maybe in a flag room you have that 3 points and a DP up, you can save a life, then pop wings/zealotry with selfless healer up gives you that extra damage on them. But otherwise 12% over 30 seconds at the expense of losing 3 holy power = a TV.

When Blizzard says things like "they want our holy power to be used for damage more" I dont know whether to read that as TV spam, or more as maintaining Inq+SH in addition to TVs while both are up. I suppose its all situational, tbh I havent even mastered when to keep inq up in PVP situations.

Slightly looking forward to divine storm being viable to spec into, need to remap my keybindings to fit it in though, but I guess in the long run thats good anyways. Pissed that I'll flat out die more often in situations I know I used to live through. I honestly did not feel like ret was overpowered even with self healing. I dont like this going forward, but what can ya do. I dont play enough anymore to reroll, my only other option would be gear and play my druid as feral but not that interested....ok maybe slightly. I'm resto now and just tired of healing. Might go ret and feral, but feral I dont even know how to play.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/04/2011 08:31 PMPosted by Svayne
I'm having a lot of issues with Mages - Frost, that is - lately. I. Can't. Touch. Them. Any pointers from whomever would be nice.

Ever played one before? I have alot at 80, the playstyle didnt really change a heckofalot since then. The classes I've played the most for myself, I always do the best against. Classes I havent played before (ie: hunter) my strats suck and I find myself just scrambling and playing reactively instead of aggressively.

For mages, know they have shattered barrier, freeze, frost nova, deep freeze, spellsteal. Not sure how long you want me to go with this, I can probably talk about this matchup for 10,000 words lol I'll try to keep it short and helpful though.

Shattered barrier, when they have ice barrier up, which itself is a fairly short cooldown, when you smash through it (about 7000-12,000 damage? i dont really know), that it will break and root you. Something I like to predict which strike will smash the barrier, know its coming, and preemptively freedom it, or cleanse it immediately. Both do slightly different things. Freedom forces spellsteal spam until they get it. To me whether a mage has freedom while I'm in melee range is pretty much irrelevant. It bought me at least one extra global in melee range, immuned a frost nova/shattered barrier attempt and the mage might have been relying on that snare to deep freeze you. So to me freedom is slightly preferable then cleansing, but you do force the cooldown on it so other times I'll just cleanse out of a nova if I know thats all thats needed. One other little note though, mirror image spam snares can be a pain in the ....... so sometimes thats where you want to freedom. Just remember using freedom defensively, like when you are already being kited hard, mage is 20-30 yards from you, usually already means you're in trouble. I try to play this fight offensively, overwhelm them with damage, force blinks, pre-emptive freedom to immune snares and force spellsteal spam while i continue to unload on them.

Hopefully you can force a block by just overwhelming them in melee range. This is easier then it sounds when they have ice barrier down, you keep cleansing their novas immediately and sticking on them. CSs HURT mages with no barrier up, so do TVs. Going for the kill. Ideally popping cooldowns after ice block, but sometimes I have to use some to force it. Careful with wings, obviously it can turn out bad against you when spellstolen for the duration. Other times i'm on them so hard, forcing them to play so defensive that I dont even care if they spam trying to spellsteal it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/04/2011 08:31 PMPosted by Svayne

you will never beat a quality frost mage 1v1, so dont even try against them.

vs the noobs (most BG mages)

hammer stun them first to force the blink, immediately follow it up with repent.

at this point, a good mage would trinket, but since most are bad, they sit in it. get next to them, and pop freedom on yourself, then start dropping dps and chasing them. Most bad mages usually panic at this point and try to spell steal as you destroy their world.

also, if you get stunned and they have blown trinket, you should trinket that first stun.

blow wings/guardian early and see the results. dont worry about stacking zeal/inquis. as they have no heals, its more important to drop a hammer or 2 into them while they panic spellsteal than stacking CDs.

if you can stay in melee after that repent with freedom up, you should easily ruin their world as they will badly blow their snares into your freedom, leaving you open to drop all of your offensive CDs into them naked. the mage only take 4 or 5 hits at that point for the easy win.

the baddies usually finish the fight with a message like "wtf?" or some other sort of excuse for getting ric-rolled by a ret, when really they are just bad.

but against GOOD mages, DO NOT DUEL!?!? you will want to /delete after they negate every single one of your cooldowns via silences, spell steals, sheeps and snares.

rule of thumb is that you live and die by freedom vs frost mages, so protect it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/11/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Mâson
When Blizzard says things like "they want our holy power to be used for damage more" I dont know whether to read that as TV spam, or more as maintaining Inq+SH in addition to TVs while both are up. I suppose its all situational, tbh I havent even mastered when to keep inq up in PVP situations.

to answer that, watch his video.

you really only need it when you wings/zealotry or in a prolonged fight with a healer.

my own style is to stack the CDs, so i will drop guardian about 10 secs early before i want to go nuts, to get some solid str stacks going. then, once i have 3 HoPo, I zeal and use the 3 hopo on inquis. then wings, and you start smacking people. TVs should be hitting for 20k, hammers for 25k, and crus for ~10k. if you get a exo proc too, even more gg. the best idea is to save that stacked CD burst for when your opponent has trinket down and 40 sec hammer is back up.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
>< dumb question but why no emphasis on expertise?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
THANKS FOR ALL THIS VANGUARDY however all this is almost worthless due to lil cry babys and blizz giving into peoples demands to nerf us and make us the worst pvp spec in wow starting from coming patch 20sec wog heal cd = death to rets. Your 3v3 team relys on wog heals 3k rating will be no more with this next patch what are your plans next season?!??!?! will your team still be viable with this change?!?! do you think wings should be imune to dispell as our damage output is nill against a team with a priest shaman or mage in it, even a hunter can dispel us making us almost hopeless at puting out nice burst damage without these off heals you would think we would get a buff like imune to dispel,purge or tranq to make it abit more balanced they want us to use more hpower for damage then give us the means to do this hpower on its own doesnt give us BURST cc burst wins games blizzard you watch 2k rated ret pallys drop in rating and get replaced >.< maybe wog is OP??? maybe its not vanguardy how would u buff rets fairly??!??
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
ther is a diff in that but i think that u got to have a high crit with some haste and more in the holy tree to do some good damage but im guessing
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Nice thread. How do you think the new cooldown on word of glory will affect us?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/26/2011 07:16 PMPosted by Thepally
Nice thread. How do you think the new cooldown on word of glory will affect us?

^This^
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
yeah i think we may forget about selfless healer? or what?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Whats the best order to set up your action bars?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
is ret still playable?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what do other rets think about Glyph of Seal of Truth for PvP? I use it for both PvE and PvP but you never mentioned it. My thoughts were that the exp bonus would allow more generation of HoPo, as typically you don't get to choose which side of your opponent you get to hit.

04/29/2011 04:05 PMPosted by Purplékush
is ret still playable?

and i think you mean 'viable' as I am fairly sure i can still log in and play as ret, regardless of how gimped the class my be. :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Heaps good! Ty Vanguardy - I now have most of my ggrrrrrr moments with ret and pvp explained - coolies. Great stuff keep up t gd work hey:)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]