False reporting.

71 Tauren Priest
Okay. You got your answer. It's aginsit the rules. Can we help you with anyhting else?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Alright. Everyone back to their corners. This isn't the place for a debate on whether or not he condones his friend's behavior.

What your friend is doing is going to eventually land him in hot water. You should tell him to knock it off.

This forum is not for berating other poster's for their choice in the company they keep. A simple "You should tell your friend the consequences of his actions" would have been fine.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Please don't derail thread, particularly with banter that includes violations of our Forum Code of Conduct. Thanks.

Forum Code of Conduct
http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct

To answer your question, Ynnel, what you describe could be considered abuse of our Game Masters, and falls under our Game Master interaction policy.

Game Master Interaction Policy
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21503

False petitions are not just an unproductive use of your friend's time, but of our Game Masters' as well. Each report given to us is fully investigated, and if we find a player has a pattern of this behavior, they may have their account noted or receive a warning. In ongoing cases, account suspension or even permanent closure could occur. Needless to say, to submit false petitions is ill-advised..

As far as "getting people banned," our Game Masters will only take appropriate action for each situation reported. If action was taken, then that is because a violation of our policies was found. In any case, our Game Masters are unable to provide information regarding the status of any other players' account, and as such, would not be able to share the actions they took in regards to such petitions. Ultimately, no one knows what happens to any given account except our Game Masters and the person who owns said account.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Wait, is there a penalty for using report spam as a temporary ignore?
I use this feature every single day as a temporary, set duration ignore of anyone I see posting guild recruitment messages in trade. The set duration is nice because these people don't spam constantly and they aren't really being offensive, I just don't want the giant messages taking up my entire chat box and causing scrolling issues.

I had no idea that was an exploitation of the system, especially to the point where I could be penalized myself. I mean, if that is a misuse of the system I have to be one of the worst offenders period, I've used this on literally every person who posts a guild recruitment message in trade for months now.

I was unable to find any real guidelines for proper use of the command in the support documentation however. I guess it all depends whether or not those messages count as spam or not, and in my book they most certainly do, but if I'm wrong then uh...oops.
Edited by Devoid on 3/5/2011 9:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
44 Undead Priest
Think of it this way. I'm sure you've heard of the story of the boy who cried wolf.

So now imagine your constantly making fake claims and yes that would include using the system to temporarily ignore players. And your doing this day in and day out.

Now one something serious does happen and you go to file a report except you don't get the prompt response that you want because 1) others have gotten used to ignoring you and 2) with others making fake claims your real claim may get lost.

I'm sure the GMs in the game do not ignore anyone and they do look at every request. But why put them in the position to make them think that you are only giving fake reports.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
teach your friend how to use the ignore list. mine has like 500 people on it
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
I feel somewhat obligated to point out that people who say they use Report Spam for:

- Stuff in the wrong channel
- Cussing in any channel
- Anything that isn't spam, gold-selling, or (the sole exception) the [bodypart] spam-game,

is mis-using the feature, and only adding to the misconception that Blizzard doesn't see or care about that function.

If it's not used for the correct purpose, it's unlikely that you'll see any positive benefit from it. Report spam is for exactly that - spam and spam alone.

And who defines what is spam? Blizzard never told me (or anyone that i know) how to use this report feature - it suddenly just showed up one day in game.
And if someone keeps writing "you our super duper fancy guild" in General, or keep reporting stuff that kids apparently think is funny then as far as I am concerned that IS SPAM - and it gets 'reported' - ie, i select the feature from the menu so i don't have to see it again.

I don't petition it though, I think in my 5 years the only time i petitions someone else was a gold robot a long time ago. And nothing happened, preciously because blizzard has the (faulty) policy of never saying anything, and only do something about it every 6-7 you get the distinct feeling nothing happens, so i haven't bothered since then.

But if Blizzard only wants the report feature to be used for people selling gold they need to put that on a box you read when you login otherwise they have many millions of people who have no idea. I know 4 other people play and not one ever read the boards or the websites, nor do they want to.
And blizzard shouldn't hide it in the text you have to click on each time there is a patch, because nobody reads those.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Misuse of the Report Spam system will definitely make that system much less effective. It's unlikely it could result in account action, but ultimately, it hurts your ability to report those who should be reported with the above method more than anything else.

For more information on the Report Spam feature, please see the below article:

I see someone swearing/spamming! How do I report them?
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20275

Report spam
If one or more players are spamming a chat channel repeatedly, you can right click their name and select "Report Spam." This feature temporarily ignores them for a set amount of time and automatically forwards the reported chat on to the Support Department for further review. If a player is severely disrupting a channel, this is the most efficient way of bringing this matter to the attention of our staff. This feature is only for use with in game spam, as opposed to personal or public harassment.

Underline has been added for emphasis. I believe information regarding the Report Spam feature, when it was first implemented, was included in the appropriate patch notes.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Also, Blizzard does not review "report spam" I think from what happened to me.
I said a very long sentence in chat and several people reported it I guess. I got this in less than 5 mins after. What I said was not in accordance with blizzard's policy of spam. However, blizzard does have the right to suspend my account for w/e reason.

It seems as if enough ppl report you. They auto ban you and then reset your password. The message seems very vague and general.

Here is the message:

English speaking customers: Please refer to the start of this mail
Para los clientes españoles: Por favor vayan hasta el fin de este correo electrónico

Account Name:

Account Action: 3 hour suspension and password reset
Reason for Action: In-Game Chat Policy Violation - Advertisement and Spamming

This suspension happened because a character on the account above repeatedly abused World of Warcraft's in-game chat system. This abuse includes advertising third party services/websites and repeatedly spamming in-game chat channels.

To prevent further harm to the game and the account you use, the account has been suspended for 3 hours and the password was reset. You do not need to reply to this email, as the account will automatically become available again once the 3-hour suspension period has ended. It may take up to one hour for our system to generate and send the new password. If you have not received a password within one hour of this message's delivery, please check your Spam, Junk, or Suspect Mail folders. If you are still unable to locate the email containing your new password, please contact us using this form: http://us.blizzard.com/support/webform-us.xml.

Account compromises most often occur when a player shares login information with an unauthorized third party or plays on a computer that has a virus, Trojan, or key-logger. We recommend you read and apply the following tips to protect yourself and the account.

- Unauthorized Account Access Policy: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20460
- World of Warcraft Account Security: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20572
- Computer Security: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21118
- Email Address Security: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/28585

Please be aware that if unauthorized access to this account continues after the recovery process is complete, it may lead to further action against the account. For more information, please review the World of Warcraft Terms of Use (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html).

Regards,

Account Administration
Blizzard Entertainment
www.worldofwarcraft.com
-----------------------
Edited by Puppetmastér on 3/6/2011 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
What about crap flooding? Stuff that isn't an advertisement but disrupts the channel i.e. anal [insert spell/ability/item/achievement/mount/pet here]
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I knew this getting posted on WoW Insider would get this necroed...

03/08/2011 7:25 PMPosted by Cowtracker
What about crap flooding? Stuff that isn't an advertisement but disrupts the channel i.e. anal [insert spell/ability/item/achievement/mount/pet here]

If someone is spamming, right click their name and select Report Spam. This will flag the account for review.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
What about crap flooding? Stuff that isn't an advertisement but disrupts the channel

Report Spam may be used for that. It's an exception to the normal rule.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]