Break the HHTD mod already.

85 Worgen Hunter
03/09/2011 1:18 AMPosted by Sintacks
What was the justification for breaking AVR again?

They claim, as someone said "it defaces the game world" and they compare it to model editing.

It draws lines on the UIParent layer ... not the GameWorld layer

They killed AVR because of AVR Encounters. If AVR E had never been made, we would most likely still have AVR today. AVR was an awesome addon even without AVR E. It was a bloodly brilliant addon with AVR E. The concept, not what it was actually being used for.

On top of that... the put some of the other functions (STAND HERE!) in the DEFAULT UI in 4.0.1.
Breaking AVR was pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Oh, and back on topic:
Break the Auto Follow Bots first. Break the Auto Buff bots first.
Don't worry about addons when there's much much much worse than some addon that causes targets that should be getting a life expectancy in a BG of about 3s to get focus fired in random BGs, like say, Auto Follow Bots, Wall-running bots, and Auto buff bots.
90 Dwarf Shaman
03/08/2011 4:31 PMPosted by Arrann
So why are all of these people defending this addon and saying that it's just as easy to find a healer themselves. Shouldn't those people have no problem with this addon going away?

Because every possible way that can be used to break this addon, would break many other categories of addons in the fallout.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, and back on topic:
Don't worry about addons when there's much much much worse than some addon that causes targets that should be getting a life expectancy in a BG of about 3s to get focus fired in random BGs, like say, Auto Follow Bots, Wall-running bots, and Auto buff bots.

So in other words don't hold your breath?
85 Draenei Priest
LoL, oooh, a few nasty focus-fire situations I've been in suddenly make a lot more sense!!

I don't care too much one way or another, I expect my life expectancy to be in the toilet (even with my rather pathetic resil set) and thus do not stand on the fringes easy to be picked off.

But what this thread has done is, rather than cause Blizz to break the addon (I really doubt they will, even if they can without breaking more innocuous ones), cause more people to know of its existence ;)
Edited by Tiakatt on 3/9/2011 11:26 AM PST
90 Night Elf Priest
It's a slippery slope. The more people know of its existence, the more of a problem it is and more likelihood of it being broken. If it remained a relatively anonymous, rarely used mod, I doubt it would have ever been an issue.
85 Worgen Hunter
Oh, and back on topic:

So in other words don't hold your breath?

Exactly.
Don't expect this addon busted for a long time, if ever, cause Blizzard has other things to break first.
85 Worgen Hunter
03/09/2011 10:34 AMPosted by Kevyne
It's to the point why don't we just have bot wars, instead?

Just for you:
http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

The more people know of its existence, the more of a problem it is and more likelihood of it being broken. If it remained a relatively anonymous, rarely used mod, I doubt it would have ever been an issue.

This. And the moment Blizzard thinks its gone far enough and does decide to break it, no more Recount for you all. No more buffs on your target. No more visual queues that your target is casting something... They would have to break all of those things in order to render this addon obsolete.
Edited by Dandraffbal on 3/9/2011 1:18 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for telling everyone, now I'm telling everyone in Tol Barad to download this add on :D
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hell, i spent the last 2 weeks in BG's , Trade chat, and TB advertising this addon praying that more people use it.
90 Night Elf Priest
This. And the moment Blizzard thinks its gone far enough and does decide to break it, no more Recount for you all. No more buffs on your target. No more visual queues that your target is casting something... They would have to break all of those things in order to render this addon obsolete.

You are of course assuming they can't just break the display system on nameplates where you are able to show it as an icon (and I'm not saying I'm looking particularly forward to that but I doubt it's as impossible as you make it).
This wouldn't be nearly as powerful an addon if it simply displayed a list in chat every time it detected a healer. Or somewhere on the screen. What makes it potent is that it's above your head. It moves with you. It helps pick you up out of a crowd as a visual and audio cue. Big arrow pointing ->here's the one to kill. It's mimicking the function of a raid marker very well and raid marking an opposing faction player is not allowed on purpose by blizz. We are not given access to 3d world precisely for crap like this. It's far too easy to abuse.
A lot of nameplate mods are toeing the line these days I think, but this is the biggest one, as it singles out a particular player role.
Edited by Sedivy on 3/9/2011 9:30 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
If they broke AVR they should break this one too.
85 Night Elf Rogue
03/09/2011 9:22 PMPosted by Sedivy
A lot of nameplate mods are toeing the line these days I think, but this is the biggest one, as it singles out a particular player role.

Nameplates are definitely getting more powerful by the day. It's one of the more recent areas to get a lot of attention, simply because of how powerful and useful an area it is. Showing threat information, debuffs, class, totem icons, cc timers, marking players of the opposite faction, plus more. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Blizzard take their famous padlock and chain to their Nameplate code.
20 Human Paladin
Yeah, the addon does nothing that anyone with a pair of eyes can't see. Your hand in the air glowing green or gold? Guess what.... Healer. Healers have been and ALWAYS WILL BE targeted first. Deal with it. This addon is not doing anything game breaking or even remotely inappropriate. Plus, if all it does is track a heal, then damn near everyone can cast a minor heal of some sort, trigger the addon, and then it becomes even more useless than it is.

I don't use it and I hadn't even heard about this addon until today. But claiming that this single addon (which almost no one has...) is the biggest hurdle you are facing in PvP is ludicrous at best.

Addons are simply tools, and nothing more. If some turn them into crutches, it just shows what a bad player they are. This is no different than a multitude of other addons that will show a player's spec on mouseover or target, it simply puts a HUD icon on the player as well.

*shrugs* Two of my PvP toons are healers, and I am not griping about this any. If you get whaled on by several Horde, I have to ask.... where is the rest of your team? Blame them, not some addon.
47 Undead Priest
i wish this addon worked in arena specifically 2v2
90 Draenei Mage
Yeah, mods like this in PvP should not be allowed.
85 Worgen Hunter
On top of that... the put some of the other functions (STAND HERE!) in the DEFAULT UI in 4.0.1.
Breaking AVR was pretty stupid, if you ask me.

They are called World Raid Markers and you can use them in any type of group (Raids, BGs, and Parties).

I try to keep up with most of them and this is my favorite addon that lets you place WRMs:
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/target-charms.aspx

If they broke AVR they should break this one too.

I don't think you understand the difference between marking nameplates and dynamically drawing augmented reality graphics on the screen. HHTD doesn't use any uncommon mechanics to calculate "who is healing". Its basically just a log parser. AVR on the otherhand, well I doubt even I could have done all the correct math involved in that, let alone you.

Also, here's idea for the author of HHTD:

There are some abilities, such as Death Grip and a hunter's pet that allow you to "know"/approximate the location (x, y) of a healer. Why not add a DXE arrow (e.g. TomTom, KLE, etc) showing where the healer is? I know HudMap Encounters used something like that to approximate Bosses' locations, but I don't know how well it worked.

EDIT: For the author, I know you're reading this!
Edited by Dandraffbal on 3/10/2011 12:43 PM PST
90 Worgen Death Knight
2 mads that might go away with this one if they decide to break it.

Gladius and Icicle.

This mod could be "worse" (better in my opinion) if it had one more option.

If you have ever used Capping... it makes a target box next to the flag with the flag carriers names. Its clickable. you can target them out of the crowd so easy... You don't even have to click in the field.

Hint hint.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]