Healers Have To Die

86 Worgen Death Knight
Should I continue using it and wait for Blizzard to break it if they will or just not use it? I know a lot of people who have been using it since it was released and haven't had any issue so far.. I like it but if it's against the rules I won't use it, ofc.
85 Gnome Mage
The addon is not currently against the rules in a definable way. However, if Blizzard decides it's against the "spirit of the game", it will be considered against the ToS and broken.

Really though, if you need the addon to spot healers, you are not a good PvPer. That doesn't make you bad (as someone said, knowing you should be killing the healers is 75% of the way to a decent PvPer), but don't think your ability suddenly improved by installing the addon.

Much of PvP is awareness. This, in my opinion, makes that awareness minimally consequential, since anyone with one or more working eyes can spot a giant cross or skull over a nameplate. It's more difficult, and therefore worthy of more respect, to spot a healer in a crowd. (It's really not terribly hard even without the addon, but enough bad PvPers are latching onto it that BGs have become a nightmare for healers these days.)
Because a little awareness is just too inconvenient...
85 Gnome Mage
03/09/2011 3:11 PMPosted by Gharm
Should I continue using it and wait for Blizzard to break it if they will or just not use it? I know a lot of people who have been using it since it was released and haven't had any issue so far.. I like it but if it's against the rules I won't use it, ofc.

Use it if you want, but don't come to rely too heavily on it. If it gets broken, you don't want to be completely left in the dark without it.
86 Worgen Death Knight
03/09/2011 3:10 PMPosted by Grubbinz
I wouldn't be surprised if this is in line to be broken now that it's exposed. To my knowledge, with the base interface, I am prohibited from placing marks on players of the opposing faction. If this is being enforced by interface lua code instead of by the game itself, it's bad exploitable design.

It doesn't use raid markers. It puts a graphic on the nameplate. Nameplates have a specific view distance, unlike raid markers. And you can only see the mark if you have the addon. I'm not sure if it actually communicates with other players that have the addon or not, but either way you have to have the addon installed and you have to be within range to see the nameplates.

Also, there is a 20+ page thread about it in the UI/Macros forum, I don't think we need another one.

Ah, just found it. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.
I'll keep using it now because it's awesome. Thanks for all the feedback.
85 Tauren Druid
03/09/2011 3:16 PMPosted by Beefsanger
lrn2play if you need an addon like this
86 Worgen Warrior
It doesn't use raid markers. It puts a graphic on the nameplate. Nameplates have a specific view distance, unlike raid markers. And you can only see the mark if you have the addon. I'm not sure if it actually communicates with other players that have the addon or not, but either way you have to have the addon installed and you have to be within range to see the nameplates.

Also, there is a 20+ page thread about it in the UI/Macros forum, I don't think we need another one.

Huh. That's news. Thanks for the info, but I still won't be surprised if Blizzard tries to invent some way to break or discourage this now.

edit: removed my own nested quote.
Edited by Rhiza on 3/9/2011 3:19 PM PST
86 Worgen Death Knight
Why not just make the addon broadcast it to the entire BG and then automatically use each player's CC in sequence to keep the healer locked up.

lrn2play if you need an addon like this

Why so hostile?
Edit: Since some people *@#%* and moan about it being unfair from the other thread, I'll stop using it just so people can't use it solely as an excuse to call me a "baddie".
Edited by Gharm on 3/9/2011 3:21 PM PST
90 Dwarf Paladin
I use mana pools and waving golden hands to decide my targets.
61 Human Priest
It is kind of a cheap shot... just saying.

Although I do wish, really really wish, there was an addon that would put a mark on me... just one that I could see, not anyone else in my party... so I don't lose myself when I'm zoomed out all the way. My main is a mage and I've taken to using mana shield just so I can see that bubble effect. >_<

Or potions that don't do anything but make us glow green or something. Footsteps of Illidian helps a little (flavor item from the TCG) but... yeah... I lose myself a lot and I wish there was something out there that would help, but I've been told it's against the TOS.
85 Night Elf Hunter
i've gotten pretty good at picking out healers anyways. i use class colored nameplates. you can usually tell if priest is healer cause they wont be in shadowform. druids arent in cat or boomkin form. pallies have big mana pool.
85 Goblin Mage
It's DEFINITELY against the spirit of the rules.

What are these rules? Is there an official list of them or just some list you personally made?

As for the mod, I use it and I don't PvP. I find it to come in handy in PvE content myself.
85 Gnome Priest
03/09/2011 3:00 PMPosted by Eilethalua
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.

While it's not currently broken, Blizzard could decide to break it. It vaguely reminds me of the one that let Raid groups "draw" on top of the graphics of the game - so they could doodle in where to stand, for example. If they decide to break it, the usual manner is to do something to prevent the addons functions.

It's not really like avr. It just adds a symbol to the nameplate. It's not like avr at all, really. It's closer to threatplates in function, if you have to compare it to something.

Personally I think it's fine, and breaking it would probably break all clever use of nameplates to convey information.
85 Night Elf Hunter
The points people are making about situational awareness are correct. This addon is not currently against the rules of the game as far as I know, but (as some have said) it does go against the spirit of the game.

What the people who are defending the addon are forgetting is that the ability to mark an enemy player in any fashion goes against the spirit of the game. If we cannot use raid markers in BG, it doesn't matter if this addon functions the same way or not...it does put a mark of some sort on the healer and the healer only. Healers are important in BG's, and frankly, they have every right to play and enjoy the game too.

Not only does this addon make it easier for the opposing team to take out enemy healers, but it ruins the game for said healers. Before people had to spot them on their own in the crowd and take them out.

Healers feel singled out, targeted, and annoyed at even trying to enter any BG's. That is exactly how they should feel though. The addon singles them out, targets them, and makes it extremely irritating to enter any BG's. The way the healer community in general is reacting to this is a good sign that it is a bad thing rather than a good thing. I've seen more healers jump on the 'dislike' side of this fence than the 'like' side, unfortunately for the people who like this addon.

My personal opinion on it is that if you cannot spot the healer on your own, you shouldn't be in the BG in the first place. Blizzard didn't give us a mechanic to mark each other in BG's for a reason. But...as I said...that's just my personal opinion.
03/09/2011 3:09 PMPosted by Mauras
Hm.. What does anyone else have to say about this? Does this make the addon against the rules?

It's DEFINITELY against the spirit of the rules. But no, not against the rules as they're written. But the rules get changed to clarify things like this from time to time. Wouldn't surprise me if they clarify and break the adon.

Not so sure it is not against the rules.

3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.

Add-ons will perform no function which, in Blizzard Entertainment's sole discretion, negatively impacts the performance of the World of Warcraft realms or otherwise negatively affects the game for other players. For example, this includes but is not limited to excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, and slow frame rates.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820963720

One could make a case that it is using automation to single out a single group of players. If healers are just automatically focused on, they might not PvP and that could be bad mass PvP.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]