Healers Have To Die

90 Gnome Mage
03/09/2011 3:25 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
I use mana pools and waving golden hands to decide my targets.

And the people that weren't able to figure that one out, now have an addon that puts a big X on the healer saying "kill this one!"
90 Gnome Mage
I really don't see how it would be game-breaking...

I also thing that anyone who has to use this mod is a complete idiot.

Plenty of those around. As I said earlier, I've noticed getting more focus fire, and having people make a b-line right for me in the middle of a big scrum. All and all, I think the fallout of this will end up that fewer people will want to heal in PvP.

Ultimately, there is going to be almost no value to this addon, because it will become ubiquitous among PvPers, so healers will be getting taken out early and become less of a factor on either side.
Edited by Lissancy on 3/9/2011 3:44 PM PST
85 Troll Priest
Okay good... so it's not against the rules. That's what I was really worried about.
I don't see why someone would complain about it. It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier. Most of us can already point out healers, it's just hard when you have all these health bars all over the place. Or nameplates.

BAH! Does it HAVE TO BE AGAINST THE RULES?!?! What you're doing is removing the EQUALITY from the game for the Healer!

That's called CHEATING!

NOTE: You personally FELT something was WRONG with this so what you did is got a bunch of people together to make you FEEL COMFORTABLE about SOMETHING YOU ALREADY KNEW was wrong!

90 Human Paladin
I will still lol @ 5 people in greens trying to kill me.
85 Blood Elf Priest
03/09/2011 3:00 PMPosted by Cadic
Wouldn't it be just the same thing as putting a raid icon on the healer?
Nobody has to bother identifying them; it does it for you and the effect persists through death, a logout, etc.

I've noticed that no matter where I am in the pack, I'll see like a third of a group instantly peel off and charge across a map. They'll go through a wall of other players to get me. I don't have to hit any skills to flag myself, nothing.

I've noticed I'm one of very few healers in my BG, sometimes I'm the only one in my groups. I can't even spec holy because if I don't use Shadow's CC, I'm toast, because so many glomp me at once.
85 Blood Elf Priest
It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier.
Because everyone can focus you down disproportinately easier, you do in fact kill us faster. That is why you got the addon, it's not like y'all want to easily identify us to give us a big ol hug.

Hopefully it damages the side of the people who like this, since the result is less people healing bads.

Edited by Syncline on 3/9/2011 3:59 PM PST
90 Gnome Mage

Plenty of those around. As I said earlier, I've noticed getting more focus fire, and having people make a b-line right for me in the middle of a big scrum. All and all, I think the fallout of this will end up that fewer people will want to heal in PvP.

Point is moot. Even if everyone decided to target you first, it doesn't change much from what competitive PvP is like.

The players targeting you still spend time trying to kill you while, your team spends time trying to kill their healers, or if they have none, tries to kill them. Your team still needs to assist their healers in keeping the DPS off of them.

I really don't see how this changes anything.

Yeah, I added to my statement a bit saying just that. Ultimately, just makes healers less of a factor, and makes healing a more vulnerable, less desirable role to play in PvP.
87 Tauren Warrior
I don't pvp, but from my perspective, I could see how this can be "game-breaking."

You're no longer relying on your own intuition to perform in pvp and do what you're "supposed" to, but instead relying on an outside source to do that for you. In pvp, where the combat is not scripted, you have to be reliant on your own skill and ability to succeed.

In pve, where combat is scripted, a mod like DBM only provides the information you need to know that is already there, implemented since the dawn of the fight. It can be argued that this mod is no worse than DBM (and in some senses, I would agree), but I think this "Healers Must Die" mod is a little over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised in Blizzard breaks this addon soon. If what that little gnome mage says is true, where she has noticed she gets attacked more in pvp on her healer, then I could see reason for breaking this addon. At this point, it isn't a simple "aid" to your pvp.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hey, blizzard, we should get a passive buff to resilience, since players insist on using cheap tactics like this to focus us more than other players. :D
03/09/2011 3:47 PMPosted by Suavo
You're no longer relying on your own intuition to perform in pvp and do what you're "supposed" to, but instead relying on an outside source to do that for you.
You're arguing in favor of easymode, bravo. :D That is also the opposite of skill!

And what skill? It takes no skill for three, four, five, eight people to mash buttons until one priest dies. I was commenting to my roomie just recently that I noticed that people were automagically zeroing in and focusing me without me doing a single thing.

It's good that I'm learning how to stay up while half a party zergs me, though. It's not them who's showing skill.
---

Ultimately, there is going to be almost no value to this addon, because it will become ubiquitous among PvPers, so healers will be getting taken out early and become less of a factor on either side.
Or we manage to survive longer anyway. I'll just keep trying to gear myself to the teeth.
Edited by Syncline on 3/9/2011 3:58 PM PST
85 Troll Priest
03/09/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Syncline
It doesn't make us kill you faster, just spot you easier.
Because everyone can focus you down disproportinately easier, you do in fact kill us faster. That is why you got the addon, it's not like y'all want to easily identify us to give us a big ol hug.

Hopefully it damages the side of the people who like this, since the result is less people healing bads.

Ummm.... I didn't actually say that....errr....you cut out the part ....uhh...that was a quote from SOMEONE ELSE....

AHEM!
85 Blood Elf Priest
I hate it when that happens. Lemme go fix!
90 Human Paladin
03/09/2011 3:35 PMPosted by Solaru

It's DEFINITELY against the spirit of the rules. But no, not against the rules as they're written. But the rules get changed to clarify things like this from time to time. Wouldn't surprise me if they clarify and break the adon.

Not so sure it is not against the rules.

3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.

Add-ons will perform no function which, in Blizzard Entertainment's sole discretion, negatively impacts the performance of the World of Warcraft realms or otherwise negatively affects the game for other players. For example, this includes but is not limited to excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, and slow frame rates.
<a href="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820963720">http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820963720</a>

One could make a case that it is using automation to single out a single group of players. If healers are just automatically focused on, they might not PvP and that could be bad mass PvP.

I don't think that people have read this because it's the last part of the 2nd page. But this is important to note. It's not fun being Zerged, and if it's because someone has a glowy Icon on me I definitely feel that it's not fair.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
is not hard at all to me notice healers in 10v10 15v15 bgs

AV and IoC is another thing
90 Human Paladin

Point is moot. Even if everyone decided to target you first, it doesn't change much from what competitive PvP is like.

The players targeting you still spend time trying to kill you while, your team spends time trying to kill their healers, or if they have none, tries to kill them. Your team still needs to assist their healers in keeping the DPS off of them.

I really don't see how this changes anything.

That is almost entirely from an Arena Perspective, and The addon just eliminates team communication on that part.
89 Human Mage
pvp dps are supposed to target healers. motivating that and improving awareness of that is not game breaking, it's game fixing.
85 Human Mage
This does actually seem game breaking as it is similar to the effect of the hunters mark without your having to find the healer to mark them. It doesn't seem right that it finds and marks the healers for you. I had been healing a lot lately on my priest and the other day it seemed like suddenly the odds of my getting more than a few feet from the graveyard dropped considerably. If this add on is why I am against it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]