The iconic MMO raid boss, Ragnaros...........

29 Human Warrior
03/10/2011 4:32 PMPosted by Warager
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9461/ragnalol.png

^ WIN!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The butthurt in this thread is so delicious.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blizzard should just ban people who post about datamined MMO-Champ news outright.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I don't know. Rag was no C'thun.

C'thun now... that was a boss.

It had more legs.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

This is sort of what I was getting at with my first point. The perspective is completely different when a player character is standing near him. The proportions were designed with that in mind, which is why the screenshot of the model really doesn't do Ragnaros justice at all.

Good to know!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Pro
03/10/2011 5:01 PMPosted by Zarhym
This is sort of what I was getting at with my first point. The perspective is completely different when a player character is standing near him. The proportions were designed with that in mind, which is why the screenshot of the model really doesn't do Ragnaros justice at all.

Interesting, I knew that some proportions were intended to be seen from a particular perspective. Such is the case from Michelangelo's David. If you see him as another statue, is not that impressive. But it's met to be seen in front of him, and as a big statue. Then you appreciate the proportions and looks stronger.

Very well done :)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I like how Zarhym completely misses the point that a large part of the epicness of the elemental lords is how inhuman they are by having their bottom halves composed of swirling masses of their element.

Making rag basically a humanoid lava man just makes him less of an epic boss and more of another diabolical villain you get next to no epicness out of killing.

Rag running around at all is the problem. He shouldnt be going towards his enemy, he should destroy everything and bring his enemy to him.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Pro
03/11/2011 2:25 PMPosted by Lizie
Why does he need legs to move around just keep the swirl it looks way more epic and blizz can just make him move around with swirl.. But bosses like this should not add movement. It kills me to see this.

You need to understand that players will now kill Ragnaros in his true form. This means that we may eventually weaken him an make him mortal.

Just like the old quest from Scholomance where you had to turn an undead Lich into a living human again to kill him once and for all. We are making Ragnaros weaker, at some point. So his precious swirl has to go in order to keep fighting.

Imagine an evil overload fighting from the security of his big robot. Once you blow his epic machine, the evil overload has to exit or he will collapse with his robot.
Reply Quote
The problem is that you have no context or perspective on the model you've seen a static image of.

1) Standing next to the full-sized, animated model will give you a very different perspective when you're looking up from his toenail
    2) Knowing that he will only come out of his lava pool to reveal his full figure in a Heroic-only phase of the fight will give you a bit more context

He's not just going to be running around the moment every raid reaches him. :)

All that stuff about perspective is well and good, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the CONCEPT of Ragnaros, an elemental being, being fashioned with / creating legs for himself.

He's an incarnation of fire. Legs, especially those designed in the bipedal fashion, are extremely awkward for anything with an alternative.

Why do elemental lords have to look more and more humanoid? First there's a being of wind wearing turbans and armor that looks like it's made of cloth, and now Rag is using legs to travel around and risk tripping opposed to, I don't know, RIDING A WAVE OF MAGMA?

But then, we're talking about the same art team that supposedly thinks Moonkin are a "cool" looking form for every Balance druid to be perpetually combat-stuck in, so...

*headshake*

Elementals don't need arms or heads either. The Old Gods are the only beings in WoW that defy traditional humanoid/creature identifiers completely.

All of the elemental lords have maintained humanoid torsos, so it is jarring to see Rag with legs. That said, there is nothing that prevents him from having legs, or having 500 legs and 600 arms.

Given the game's FOV, and the size I expect Rag to be, the legs may be fine given perspective. Blizz generally has some of the best game animation as far as I'm concerned, so I'm fairly certain, they'll get the speed right, in proportion to his scale. (Eg. Tortoises in FFXIII)

I can honestly say that it would be pretty awesome to have to dodge a series of foot stomps where a player would see a shadow form on the ground below them, before his foot came crashing down.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Why does he need legs to move around just keep the swirl it looks way more epic and blizz can just make him move around with swirl.. But bosses like this should not add movement. It kills me to see this.

You need to understand that players will now kill Ragnaros in his true form. This means that we may eventually weaken him an make him mortal.

Just like the old quest from Scholomance where you had to turn an undead Lich into a living human again to kill him once and for all. We are making Ragnaros weaker, at some point. So his precious swirl has to go in order to keep fighting.

Imagine an evil overload fighting from the security of his big robot. Once you blow his epic machine, the evil overload has to exit or he will collapse with his robot.

Rag was never human. He was created by the old gods as one of their generals to command the elemental forces.

There is nothing in lore that has anything to do with elemental lords having legs. They are not humanoid, they are not even living, they are demigods of elemental magic.

Giving them legs to dink around on ruins the image is all. Since blizzard wont change it, really all we can do is lament the loss of an iconic figure of MMO raiding.

You could give him Chuck Norris' legs but it wouldnt change the fact Rag goes from a giant ball of flame with arms to a humanoid giant fire man that looks like he came out of 1960s Marvel comics. The more humanoid an enemy is, the more relatable they become, and they lose any sense of power or otherworldly evil because Rag just becomes a giant dude made of lava hitting you with a hammer and running around, possibly throwing some lava in the process.
Edited by Korvos on 3/11/2011 2:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
03/10/2011 5:59 PMPosted by Crystavil
But why does he need legs in the first place?

Probably a mechanic where he steps on you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

TOO SOON! YOU HAVE SPOILED THE FIGHT TOO SOON ZARHYM!

Makes me sad now. :(
Reply Quote
Then why is Rag's the only elemental lord with legs? As a rule, most elementals don't have legs, even in their own realms
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]