Functioning Holy Fire/Smite Macro?

90 Undead Priest
I copied this from another thread, but I cannot get it to work:

#showtooltip holy fire
/cast [nomod][harm][@targettarget,harm] smite; [mod:alt][harm][@targettarget,harm] holy fire

It will only cast Smite, "alt" does nothing. Or If I put holy fire in place of smite it will only cast holy fire. (basically, everything past ";" is ignored.

Are there too many arguments in the macro or something? I do 'ok' with macros, but this has me stumped (I tried flipping things around 5-6 diff. ways) - it SHOULD work.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I think there should be a semi at the end of the macro.

I'm not at home to test unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure I posted in that thread you copied it from, grab my post and try that one instead?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I believe you need a /cast after the semicolon.

/cast [nomod][harm][@targettarget,harm] smite; /cast [mod:alt][harm][@targettarget,harm] holy fire
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You don't need a /cast after the semi. I don't think you need the semi at the end either after doing some more reading.

What button are you putting the macro on, you could using alt+button and it could be bound to something else, which would cause it to do whatever the game has that action bound to.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Try this order instead.

/cast [mod:alt] [harm] [@targettarget, harm] Holy Fire; [harm] [@targettarget, harm] Smite
Edited by Sephyx on 3/10/2011 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You don't need a /cast after the semi. I don't think you need the semi at the end either after doing some more reading.

Are you entirely sure about that? I'm no macro expert, but I've played with them from time to time and I'm pretty sure a semicolon is a statement break. Which means you could write the macro on two lines

/cast [nomod][harm][@targettarget,harm] smite;
/cast [mod:alt][harm][@targettarget,harm] holy fire

Taking out the second /cast looks wrong to me.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Well I'm getting all my macro info from the wowpedia article, and it doesn't put a /cast after the semi >_>
Reply Quote
/cast [mod:alt, harm] [mod:alt,@targettarget] Holy Fire; [harm] [@targettarget] Smite
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
#showtooltip holy fire
/cast [nomod][harm][@targettarget,harm] smite; [mod:alt][harm][@targettarget,harm] holy fire

Yes, that will always cast Smite. The reason being is that the brackets act as at OR operator. The semi-colon acts as and if - then -else operator.

So you are saying...

IF [ nomod:alt ] OR [ harm ] OR [@targettarget AND harm] THEN
Cast Smite
ELSEIF [ mod:alt ] OR [harm] OR [@targettarget AND harm] THEN
Cast Holy Fire
END

You, see the problem with this is that....
If you target an enemy, the "harm" in the first part of macro always evaulates to true, so the first part of your macro always gets executed. With OR states, only one of them has to be true in order for the whole expression to be true.

As per a previous poster..this is correct.

03/10/2011 9:32 AMPosted by Minx
/cast [mod:alt, harm] [mod:alt,@targettarget] Holy Fire; [harm] [@targettarget] Smite
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
One
03/10/2011 9:32 AMPosted by Minx

^^^^^
THIS
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thanks everyone, esp. Minx (for the correct macro) and Pythus (for the crystal-clear translation to standard conditional terms).
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest

^^^^^
THIS

i just attempted to use in and it doesn't work.

EDIT: oops i lied it does work. thanks for the info everyone :).
Edited by Crematory on 3/11/2011 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
does anyone have a macro for holyfire to reset on a timer between the 2 so you don't have to push alt every 8 seconds or whatever it is >.>

(like the reset timer that prot warriors use for the charge/intercept)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
/castsequence [harm][@targettarget,nodead,harm] reset=8 Holy Fire,Smite,Smite,Smite,Smite;

This will cast Holy Fire first, then Smite until Holy Fire is recharged, on the target of your target if it's hostile.

Please keep in mind the reset time is from the last time you used the macro, not since you started it. In general though, I haven't found that to be too much of a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I just use

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Smite
/cast [mod] Holy Fire

Sweet+simple.
Reply Quote
This is the best I can get. It will always cast one Smite before Holy Fire but will reset no matter what when Holy Fire is up.

#showtooltip Holy Fire
/castsequence [harm][@targettarget,harm] reset=10 smite
/castsequence [harm][@targettarget,harm] reset=10 holy fire
Reply Quote
This is the best I can get. It will always cast one Smite before Holy Fire but will reset no matter what when Holy Fire is up.

#showtooltip Holy Fire
/castsequence [harm][@targettarget,harm] reset=10 smite
/castsequence [harm][@targettarget,harm] reset=10 holy fire

This also won't work at all...

You're sequencing one spell...with a reset parameter that brings you back to the beginning of the sequence after 10 seconds of inactivity; which is pointless because there is no sequence here. The whole line is functionally no different than /cast smite.

You cannot fall through cast multiple spells on the global cooldown. This will never cast holy fire.

The only way to effectively do this is to use a modifier, like Melaimi and Pythus above.
Reply Quote
It's currently working on live servers so I dunno what to tell you. Go try it :p
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Khendra and Tithe's macros work, but not perfect.

is it possible to make a castsequence macro that would let me queue my next skill right before i finish casting my last one? coz i cant do that with the given macros. thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]