Is Old Content going to be Redone every patch

1 Worgen Mage
Hey I was just wondering if there was any discussion about this on the forums at all.

I want to know if Old Content is going to be redone every patch or expansion.

- Naxx 40 was made into a 25 man and moved to Northrend.

I only agree with this decision because so many people didn't do it. Only my guild and 2 other guilds got to do it at the time.

- Onyxia classic turned into a 10/25 for Wrath for the anniversary? I didn't understand the point of this honestly.

- ZA turning into a level 85 heroic dungeon. So the 10 man level 70 raid disappears.

- ZG turning into a level 85 heroic dungeon. I thought this place would be a cool leveling area or something with phased quests.

So what is next? My guess is the AQ's because there is that unfinished zone of AQ that you can fly over.

We already know about ZG/ZA. We took out Hakkar and took out Zul'Jin. The dungeons are the exact same, the amount of players is just reduced and maybe some new mechanics. It's pretty much the same thing.

I was wondering if this is a trend that is going to be happening now?

My personal opinion is I would rather see some good new content built on lore that is fresh.

Feel free to discuss.
Reply Quote
28 Human Paladin
Patch 4.4
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now level 83-85 leveling zones!
    Enjoy enhanced loot, harder encounters, and remember the first time you rolled a Troll, Orc, or Human!

Patch 4.4.1
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
As long as they continue to add completely new stuff I'm ok with redoing older content. It gives us more max level content, at a faster rate. I never did run ZG or ZA at the current level, so I'm fine with getting to do them at level 85!
Reply Quote
03/10/2011 12:57 PMPosted by Krixie
Blizzard is trying a new style! Doing half the work for the same amount of money!

But being able to release 2 5 mans instead of 1.

If they need to use the back-drop of an instance so we get more new bosses to fight...more power to them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/10/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Floyce
Hey I was just wondering if there was any discussion about this on the forums at all.

Search function is awesome. This is discussed every 10 minutes.

03/10/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Floyce
I want to know if Old Content is going to be redone every patch or expansion.

Nothing was redone in BC. So no.

Patch 4.4.1

Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."

Words cannot express how awesome you are.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I'd love to see more heroic versions of the leveling 5 mans put into the game akin to the heroic Deadmines and SFK.
Reply Quote
84 Dwarf Hunter
I like the rehash of the old instances.

Personally i'd love it if there was a 85 heroic version of every dungeon. There is too much good content that is underused.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
There definitely is not a hard and fast rule about updating existing content. If we feel revamping existing content makes sense in the current state of the game and lore -- and we think it will be fun -- sure, it's a possibility. You definitely shouldn't expect this every patch though. In the grand scheme of World of Warcraft's history, we've reintroduced very little existing content per patch and expansion.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/10/2011 1:20 PMPosted by Zarhym
There definitely is not a hard and fast rule about updating existing content. If we feel revamping existing content makes sense in the current state of the game and lore -- and we think it will be fun -- sure, it's a possibility. You definitely shouldn't expect this every patch though. In the grand scheme of World of Warcraft's history, we've reintroduced very little existing content per patch and expansion.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with revamping old content.

I mean IRL, look 20th century Germany, that instance was on farm content during WW1, they revamped and created an even stronger instance in WW2.

Nothing wrong with it.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Death Knight

Interesting.

So to ask politely, why or will we be waiting until it comes out to find that out?

I haven't made 85 yet, but the thought of pure heroics seems interesting. I don't quite recall the requirements for ZA and ZG, but the thought of new content being older reworked content seems to not sit well with some. I, personally, feel that so long as it makes sense in the current way the game is set up, then it would be fair to the players.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I wouldn't mind.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock

While I see your point Zarhym, the stuff that has been revamped in the game has primarily been in the form of Naxx in WotLK and a ton of the Cataclysm content. Sure there is new stuff here, but a lot of it is revamped or redesigned. I almost feel like I purchased the same game I bought 5 years ago, or I should say what it should have been 5 years ago. While I loved the old game, I don't want to go back and do the same stuff that I did for a good long while all over again with very little else that is new.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
There is nothing wrong with utilizing "old content" considering over half the player base did not participate in vanilla and a large amount probably missed out on BC. I've been around since Vanilla, and was happy to see Deadmines become a heroic dungeon. I'm hoping this trend continues as we continue to progress and nex expacs come. As content becomes 2 expansions removed, no one spends any time there. New players joining don't hit lvl 60 and throw together an MC or BWL group. While they may run Stratholme or Scholo once or twice through the LFG tool, they aren't running it like those of us did back when these were 10 man dungeons.

Now if Blizzard just took MC for the firelands raid and increased the lvl of all NPCs by 25, that would be shady, but that's not what they're doing. They're taking content from 3-4 years ago and making it relavent for characters to enjoy again. It's a heroic dungeon, not entire raid content.

It seems the the playerbase is never happy with whatever the devs do. Raids/dungeons are either too easy or too hard, content is either too stale/short/big/long or whatever adjective you can think of. I honestly think that the XBox live players won't be happy with WoW until every class has an instance cast "I win" button that kills everyone with 1000 yards and instantly makes them 2 lvl higher than the current game allows covered in shiny, yellow or red gear.
Reply Quote
36 Gnome Warrior
Revamping Deadmines and SFK made sense, seeing as how the containing zones got revamped, but i dunno, i don't see the reasoning behind bringing back ZA and ZG... sure STV prolly got a revamp (haven't quested there yet, planning to on this toon) But Ghostlands is a BC zone, it didn't get changed at all, as far as i'm aware, i just don't see the purpose of revamping it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I always turn a jaundiced eye at a thread asking a "provocative" question.... from a level 1 Alt.

OFFTOPIC: I wish the forums wouldn't allow people to post on level 1s, it automatically calls into the question the sincerity and credibility of the poster --in my eyes (yes, that's my prejudice).

Back on topic: I have no problem with the Devs freshening up old content, and in fact, I wish they'd refresh Kara ---lots of good memories in there.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]