Is Old Content going to be Redone every patch

81 Blood Elf Priest
03/10/2011 3:17 PMPosted by Zarhym
And let's get real - we know why you're recycling old content. With the next Starcraft 2 expansion, Diablo 3, and an "unannounced MMO" all in production, I'm guessing the art team has its hands full. Recycling old content is an easy way to create a "new" instance with old art assets.

There isn't a singular Blizzard Entertainment art team. Each franchise has its own art department. We don't just pull resources from one project to give more attention to another in the sense you're suggesting. This is why we have multiple development teams (which include art teams for each) and can work on multiple franchises simultaneously.

Then explain to me why you guys recycle so much stuff if you have all of these teams. For example, you have non-set epics dropping that allow Pallies and Wars to look like a tiered out DK in their "custom tailored to the class" armor set. And this goes for basically EVERY class. What happened to "Tiers are special"? What about PVP gear, all 3 recolors of it with nothing special added? This is easily the biggest offense in this game right now to me, more so than it sucks doing the same old instance/zone (ZA/ZG) stuff, which is bad, but not "as bad" as you guys cheaping out and recycling armor models.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Priest
the forum is for feedback. If no one ever commented or complained for that matter, nothing would get changed. The company needs customer feedback.

Blizz has stated over and over again that the primary purpose for the forums is for us, the players, to discuss the game with one another.

While the forums provide a useful place to provide Blizzard some feedback, too often (way too often in fact) this is accompanied by the notion that said feedback DEMANDS a response. This leads to the fairly incredible notion that Blizz doesn't read or care about the forums because they don't respond to every single bit of feedback they receive.

People complain about every single thing really. You can find a thread with someone going into hysterics about any subject you can imagine.

My personal favorite past example of this sort of silliness was when the worgen 'mount' was announced and there were threads complaining angrily that now the Horde would have one more mount than the Alliance and this was evidence that Blizz favored the horde.

I mean seriously. People need to relax and either enjoy the game or find something else to do for a while.

Meanwhile, I'd really rather read a really smart take on my class or the game from someone who is more or less in the same position I am. Most of the stuff that made me a better player came from user-generated stickies and posts from other users answering questions, mine and others.

So let's get back to that. Apologies for being off-thread but these multiple threads complaining loudly about recycling of old content, especially after what was a monumental redesign of the 1-60 areas (EDIT: also recycled content by current definitions) reminds me of this.

Prediction: Many people find the current Outland content to be outdated, out of sync with the current timeline and jarring in terms of the rest of the game and would like to see that fixed. If and when Blizz gets around to updating it, I'll safely predict that there will be many people complaining about how Outland is just recycled content and why is Blizz even bothering with it.
Edited by Moanshadow on 3/11/2011 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
[quote="22278924384"]

Just as an example, think back to how slowly UI improvements would be implemented in vanilla and TBC. Now there are scores of great UI improvements nearly every patch. That team is incredible and very experienced. Just the same, the class design team has hardly changed in years, save for a couple of additions (read: not subtractions).

I'm sorry, are you trying to imply that putting into the game some features that addons have been using for more than 4 years, and that are still behind the possibilities of those addons is something that should amaze players?

Wow's UI is not something you should be proud of... seriously.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
03/10/2011 5:32 PMPosted by Zarhym
his talk about losing WoW developers, or that WoW is left to a "B team" is getting tiresome

You know whats getting tiresome? All the stuff that you guys claim to be fixing or looking into, and 2,3,4 months down the road not much has changed. You say you care about your player base, i don't think that is the case , to the extent that you claim anyhow. What really irks me though, is the blue posters that come on here (and believe me this doesn't happen with every post) and act like they are doing us a favor by responding. If your job has become tiresome, then find a new one. I dont pay my $15 every month to listen to you talk about how you are tired of answering the same questions over and over. Get over it. its your job. No one made you work for blizzard. And for my subscription fee, you damn well should answer any questions that i, or anyone else paying a sub fee has,and we shouldn't have to listen to you complain about it. If i had more time at my disposal i could pull up a few more blue quotes to reinforce my point, and if you'd like i'd be happy to do so, when i get home from MY job
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
There is this overwhelming sense of self-entitlement floating around here that, well, makes me a little bit sad. I chalked up the subscription fee because I enjoy playing this game, and I feel that I derive more than 15 dollars worth of enjoyment per month. Our personal philosophy should dictate the amount of time we allocate playing this game, and how we spend that time ingame. When did that 15 dollars cross over into ownership of the game design? When did that 15 dollars entitle us to ram our opinions down the throat of... well, anybody?

Honestly, it disgusts me how many people think that Blizzard employees automatically become their lapdogs because they pay a subscription fee. It must take thick skin to read some of this stuff. Let's at least be civil here. But better yet, let's be rational. Blizzard has their defined plan. I think it's fine. You might not. It's your 15 dollars - wave it elsewhere. Blizzard has millions and millions of them. It's a silly ultimatum.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I just wish they would redo some of the character models and give us better textures. I know its like a 6 year old game, but do what EQ did and redo the graphics engine.
Reply Quote
his talk about losing WoW developers, or that WoW is left to a "B team" is getting tiresome

You know whats getting tiresome? All the stuff that you guys claim to be fixing or looking into, and 2,3,4 months down the road not much has changed. You say you care about your player base, i don't think that is the case , to the extent that you claim anyhow. What really irks me though, is the blue posters that come on here (and believe me this doesn't happen with every post) and act like they are doing us a favor by responding. If your job has become tiresome, then find a new one. I dont pay my $15 every month to listen to you talk about how you are tired of answering the same questions over and over. Get over it. its your job. No one made you work for blizzard. And for my subscription fee, you damn well should answer any questions that i, or anyone else paying a sub fee has,and we shouldn't have to listen to you complain about it. If i had more time at my disposal i could pull up a few more blue quotes to reinforce my point, and if you'd like i'd be happy to do so, when i get home from MY job

Haha, way to rage over 1 word and take it to a level that very few could. Talk about making something out of nothing. And yes, Blizzard not caring about the player base... that has to be it. /sarcasm

There isn't a singular Blizzard Entertainment art team. Each franchise has its own art department. We don't just pull resources from one project to give more attention to another in the sense you're suggesting. This is why we have multiple development teams (which include art teams for each) and can work on multiple franchises simultaneously.

Then explain to me why you guys recycle so much stuff if you have all of these teams. For example, you have non-set epics dropping that allow Pallies and Wars to look like a tiered out DK in their "custom tailored to the class" armor set. And this goes for basically EVERY class. What happened to "Tiers are special"? What about PVP gear, all 3 recolors of it with nothing special added? This is easily the biggest offense in this game right now to me, more so than it sucks doing the same old instance/zone (ZA/ZG) stuff, which is bad, but not "as bad" as you guys cheaping out and recycling armor models.

Non-set epics looking like tiered pieces does allow for people to "match" and not look like they were shot by a paint gun, so I see it as being a good thing that there is some consistency in the current "tier" of gear (and by that I mean first level of raiding gear -- ilevel 359).

With the PVP gear, remember, that prior to WotLK, there was only 1 iLevel of pvp gear... now there are at least 2 for every new season, so recoloring actually makes sense. (Compare the current "evolving" pvp sets that are being done since WotLK and compare it to BC's pvp gear that looked like its raiding gear counter part and the vanilla pvp gear that never changed except for shade differences.)

As for the re-doing old instances/zones, I don't see it as being bad. Those instances were amazing before, and I'm sure they will be in their rebooted selves. I would rather have a purpose for revisiting those instances because except for the occasional, ZA run for a bag from the quest run, that instance just isn't run by anyone anymore. I find these reboots of these 2 old zones to be new and exciting.

03/11/2011 9:39 AMPosted by Dagnarus
I just wish they would redo some of the character models and give us better textures. I know its like a 6 year old game, but do what EQ did and redo the graphics engine.

At last years Blizzcon, one of the head art guys for WoW said that this is on their list of things to do. They admitted that the old character models were in much need of renovation.
Edited by Rikur on 3/11/2011 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Really hope that you haven't come and gone from the thread because this lead me to wonder:

Is there a sense of Holiness to the art of WoW? Does the Art team have carte blanche to flesh things out as they see fit. There's been a nice variance on gear of course, and we've seen different flavors of items over the expansions. When it comes to tackling established aspects though, is there a sense of "Well we can't tread too far off the path. We've already got this established."?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight

cataclysms heroic 5 mans and the first tier of raid content are easier than tbc's. classic instances and raids were harder on several levels. much harder. wotlk was different.

If any wild changes occured, they were in wrath of the lich king.

So, in your opinion, a increase of maybe 135% as far as stats go isn't a "wild change"? We saw a lot of new stuff in WoTLK, but most of it was reasonable and quite good for the game overall. People thought WoTLK spelled the death of WoW? I think Cata has done it much better.
Reply Quote
68 Dwarf Hunter
I've been here since 2004. I am notorious for telling days of old stories to the point where people put me on ignore.

Leveling up this guy from 1 after taking a break was a whole new experience for me. And I'm a guy who threw up at the thought of taking my 1000th character through vanilla content.

Dwarf starting area was way different along with the gnome one I wondered into. Dun Morough , again way different, different layout, different creatures progression in some of the staple characters, some jokes (if you were one of the few to ever get that gate key to Searing Gorge)

Wetlands, similar creatures way different story progression. Western Plague lands, completely different. Badlands, completely different. Searing Gorge, very different. I liked the pacifist ogre thing and it was nice to have Dark Iron rep reworked some.

Getting the quests at the start of an instance was way nicer. Getting experience from nodes was a good bonus.

If anything, I really kinda wish they'd scaled leveling experience back to the 2004 levels so you didn't out level the zones halfway through the quests. That's kinda the only negative feedback I can muster. The revamp was well thought out for quests and story, even the rewards. The extra* stuff , like trade skill, reputations, pacing exp was overlooked a bit. I actually had to turn experience off a bunch of times in order to not sprint through everything so fast that I missed the new story elements.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Priest
In a latest gamasutra (sp?) article, they pretty much confirmed that the "key-veteran" talent has moved onto Titan as they expect it to be the next-big-thing. The way they cleverly covered this up was by saying they left WoW in the hands of people who had a year or so experience while the vets were on there, so they're fine. This obviously is not the case though judging by the insulting amounts of recycled assets floating around in game, as well as rehashed content, and delays on new content raids that were in the works way before Cata launched. The WoW team is struggling now, no one can deny that. The question is, can they keep WoW just enough above water to keep people interested. Right now, it certainly does not look good considering how steeply the quality of content and "life" in WoW is.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Patch 4.4
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now level 83-85 leveling zones!
    Enjoy enhanced loot, harder encounters, and remember the first time you rolled a Troll, Orc, or Human!

Patch 4.4.1
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."

lol xD
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I've been here since 2004. I am notorious for telling days of old stories to the point where people put me on ignore.

Leveling up this guy from 1 after taking a break was a whole new experience for me. And I'm a guy who threw up at the thought of taking my 1000th character through vanilla content.

Dwarf starting area was way different along with the gnome one I wondered into. Dun Morough , again way different, different layout, different creatures progression in some of the staple characters, some jokes (if you were one of the few to ever get that gate key to Searing Gorge)

Wetlands, similar creatures way different story progression. Western Plague lands, completely different. Badlands, completely different. Searing Gorge, very different. I liked the pacifist ogre thing and it was nice to have Dark Iron rep reworked some.

Getting the quests at the start of an instance was way nicer. Getting experience from nodes was a good bonus.

If anything, I really kinda wish they'd scaled leveling experience back to the 2004 levels so you didn't out level the zones halfway through the quests. That's kinda the only negative feedback I can muster. The revamp was well thought out for quests and story, even the rewards. The extra* stuff , like trade skill, reputations, pacing exp was overlooked a bit. I actually had to turn experience off a bunch of times in order to not sprint through everything so fast that I missed the new story elements.

That's kindof my standpoint. I really enjoy most of the changes and I really do like the new zones and even the revamped layout of old zones. The quest lines are a lot more engaging that they were in Vanilla and I've found that I don't despise leveling characters anymore, I actually look forward to it - which is a miracle if you know me well. I actually get on my characters at night and think "Hmmm, I haven't been here in a while, that zone might be fun." That's a thought I haven't uttered since the end of TBC. I enjoy most of the changes thoroughly, in fact, the only things I REALLY dislike is the stats. I mean, jesus, we went from tanks with maybe 25k unbuffed in endgame gear to 40-50k unbuffed, same gear to 150k? I'm sorry, what? Did I miss something? I mean, it's just way too overboard. Where do you go from this, Blizzard? That means that next expansion things are just going to be absolutely retarded. Don't get me wrong, It's kindof cool to get "no big deal" 35k crits and such, but the novelty WILL wear off.

It's going to get to the point where, if we see a level 90 expansion, stats will be just stupid. Mages running around with nearly 200k hp and such... I mean it just gets to a point where the overwhelming stats are just simply obnoxious. I think you guys really jumped the gun on this one. Wrath was ok because there was a pretty decent gear cutoff where BC stuff stopped being viable and you could slowly fill the gaps with Northrend gear but you've completely lost that. You're first Cata quest in Vash will replace even a H ICC 25 piece.

Also, why are we killing off old content to replace it with "new" AKA revamped content? You've made a lot of achievements that a lot of people were aiming for impossible because you were too lazy - and I don't mean to be insulting - to just go and make some genuinely new content. I realize that Cata is all about bringing players back in Azeroth to stop the "trouble on the homefront" rather than another far away land in peril but some of this just doesn't make sense. "Captain" Cookie for instance, it's funny to me because I've been playing since Vanilla but it makes no sense. Why is there a random Worgen boss in Deadmines? That doesn't make any sense either considering Gilneas only recently - as far as game lore goes - was cracked open. It just doesn't make sense to me. For another example, ZG. What the heck was the point of taking ZG out? Now it's just a random, empty chunk of map that you can freely go for a scenic walk in? What's the point of revamping something to be an open zone if you then just let it stew in nothingness?

But, I don't know... that's just my thoughts. Otherwise, good work on the expansion guys...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Seriously, I am actually feeling sorry for the folks at Blizzard. You nerds QQ about absolutely EVERYTHING! It's a game, and a good one at that, so really get a life and don't let it revolve around every tiny little flaw or disagreement you have with Wow, and just enjoy playing it.

I cannot believe people are crying about the thought of Devs being moved to a different project haha! Some of these posts are so pathetic it makes me actually want to quit the game because it reminds me about how sad some of the people that play it really are.

I for one, hope some of you don't QQ this much about real-life important things.

Yea... I hate some of the changes brought onto the classes at times and content, but seriously overall, this is a damn Good-Game. I for one don't mind seeing Old-things updated.

Hands-down.

I think it's sad when old things are forgotten and remain ever stagnant and areas are never ever visited again. To me, this was a road the game was traveling in when BC exp/ and even more-so in Lich-king expansion.

I don't know, maybe it's because I've been here since Beta or maybe not.

On a side-note:

I think a lot of you draw the line when you personally begin to disrespect or discredit WoW developers by fabricating stories all because a class got nerfed or a series of things were changed/ or enhanced... like...seriously guys?

Keep the forums for game-related feed-back. Not Employee-Performance based Feed-back. Some of you players are so-damn arrogant and annoying.

Maybe the lot of you need to take a walk outside in the sun, or snow. Or perhaps get a pet and walk a dog. lol

Thanks blizz, great game, although I don't agree with every change.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Do yourselves a favor, all of you. Stop sending them your 15 bucks a month if you are unhappy. I have. Fact is, there is a new game out there right now that is FANTASTIC. The most fun I have had gaming since BC ( which is what, 3 years?)

Blues can post all they want about how things haven't changed all that much and how this game is still awesomesauce. Bottom line - there is already the next eveloution of gaming out there. And unless Blizz gets their act together, they will be left behind.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
I love reading forums :D I get to see so many spoiled, selfish people cry about their wants in this game, almost acting like its their "needs" in life.

Tbh. If you are having doubts about this game then go play some other MMO's and you will find yourself coming back to WoW. (I have performed this many times).

The people who complain in these posts are the people who have the mindset of "its never enough". Whether a good or bad way of thinking, its obvious that it makes you appear silly and funny imo.

Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
This game is so vast that you can argue whether it's a good game or bad game. Fact is, this MMO is an actual freaking world. A world with pros and cons. Its scary to think that this is the only game I have ever played that is this addicting no matter what patch or expansion they create I will be throwing money away every month to play it. Dc universe, Rift, City of heroes, Guild wars, Aion, Eve, etc. All will never match up to WoW until Blizzard quits expanding WoW.
Edited by Nwun on 3/11/2011 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]