Is Old Content going to be Redone every patch

100 Night Elf Druid
Patch 4.4.1
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."

Well played, sir. +1 internets for you.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
03/10/2011 1:20 PMPosted by Zarhym
There definitely is not a hard and fast rule about updating existing content. If we feel revamping existing content makes sense in the current state of the game and lore -- and we think it will be fun -- sure, it's a possibility. You definitely shouldn't expect this every patch though. In the grand scheme of World of Warcraft's history, we've reintroduced very little existing content per patch and expansion.

I still say that an awesome thing to do is to go back and retool all raids to have "max level" versions at similar tier difficulties.

That way, each new expansion, there's never a shortage of raid level things a guild can go experience...be it again, or for the first time if they weren't around for its induction to WoW the first time.

Missed Naxx in Wrath? Well get your guild together and go do the level 85 version for 359 epics! And if Naxx isn't your thing, Molten Core is always welcoming new visitors. Firelands? Sure. Or you could hit Blackwing's Lair...or Ulduar. Kael'thas is lonely too. Why don't you go pay him a visit. Want to experience the full glory of Black Temple? Wait till Death's Bastion (or whatever you want to call Deathwing's raid) and get ready to march on the level 85 Illidan.

Not to mention, you could set it up in such a fashion that 'raid' achievements stay relevant no matter HOW far the game advances.

I'd also like the same treatment to be done to "heroic" dungeons. Rather than letting them slip into obscurity, keep them up to date so that "end-game" content only grows. There's never "less" to do, only more.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I think it's great personally .. then again i've been branded as a blizz fanboi so my opinion may not matter to many.

I did however play all through EQ and it was so sad seeing all my favorite zones being permanently abandoned after any expansion. The world got so big that literally not a single person would be seen in 90% of the game zones.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
In regards to Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub and "recycling old content":

Blizzard's track record isn't that amazing. Onyxia was generally anti-climactic and not that exciting of an encounter, despite being brought back up to level 80. Naxxaramas was a debacle, plain and simple. But then again, Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep are both very well done.

Having done Zul'Aman on the PTR, however, I'm afraid that it's turning into another Naxxaramas. Most of the fight mechanics are extremely similar to the original ZA iteration, from the Dragonhawk's Fire Bombs and adds, to the Eagle's storm, to the Bear's forms and bleeds. I was hoping for something better here.

And let's get real - we know why you're recycling old content. With the next Starcraft 2 expansion, Diablo 3, and an "unannounced MMO" all in production, I'm guessing the art team has its hands full. Recycling old content is an easy way to create a "new" instance with old art assets.
Edited by Blacksen on 3/10/2011 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Revamping Deadmines and SFK made sense, seeing as how the containing zones got revamped, but i dunno, i don't see the reasoning behind bringing back ZA and ZG... sure STV prolly got a revamp (haven't quested there yet, planning to on this toon) But Ghostlands is a BC zone, it didn't get changed at all, as far as i'm aware, i just don't see the purpose of revamping it.

STV got a massive revamp, was split into two zones, and has a major quest chain involving Zul'Gurub. Bringing back ZG makes perfect sense -- the only thing that doesn't make sense is the lack of a level-appropriate non-heroic version for people who have recently finished that quest chain.

WoW Insider did a Know Your Lore segment some time ago about a lost Troll city we haven't seen that was washed away by a kraken. Seeing as how a part of this expansion takes place in an underwater zone, there is the possibility that we may see that lost Troll city some time in this expansion, either as a raid or as a 5 man.

As two of the largest strongholds of the remmants of the ancient troll empires, those two instances make logical places to see the storyline for a new troll raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I find it funny that over the last few years there has been a strong urging from players to bring older content up to date as the game continues to grow.

Now that the Developers have revamped a few areas, there is a dissatisfied group unhappy that any time is being spent on this older content. Even though we are still getting new content along with the revamps.

You really can't make everyone happy.

Personally, I'd like to give Blizzard some thanks for maintaining and expanding the game in every way possible. New content, new mechanics, revamped mechanics, revamped content, new out of game experiences like Battle.net, the improved Armory and so much more really give me a solid value for my monthly fee.

Good job. :)
Reply Quote
47 Blood Elf Warlock
Just keep recycling old content and devote more time and effort to Diablo 3. WoW is old news.
Reply Quote
28 Human Paladin
03/10/2011 1:35 PMPosted by Feandel
I still say that an awesome thing to do is to go back and retool all raids to have "max level" versions at similar tier difficulties.
While I somewhat support the idea of re-using older content... I'd appreciate not losing the original instances as well.

If Blizzard decides to bring more of these old dungeons/raids up-to-date, it would be nice if they'd leave the regular (non-85) version in.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
This is Cataclysm, the expansion of redoing old content. Expect to be raiding C'thun in patch 4.4.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
03/10/2011 1:45 PMPosted by Cheesecake
While I somewhat support the idea of re-using older content... I'd appreciate not losing the original instances as well.

If Blizzard decides to bring more of these old dungeons/raids up-to-date, it would be nice if they'd leave the regular (non-85) version in.

Hence max level versions.

As in, they scale up, but not down. There'd be level 60, 70, 80, and 85 versions of Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, AQs (both) and Naxx (and why not? I'm sure all the original assets for level 60 naxx is still around somewhere, and if not, shame on Blizzard). There'd be level 70, 80, and 85 versions of Kara, Gruul, Magtheridon, SSC, Hyjal, TK, BT, and Sunwell (did I miss any?). And of course level 80 and 85 versions of Malygos, Obsidian Sanctum, Ulduar, ICC, and RS.

Each "tier" would unlock at the new max level in conjunction with the new expansion's tiers (such that they don't have to retool all of the raids all at once).
Reply Quote
21 Worgen Hunter
03/10/2011 1:20 PMPosted by Zarhym
There definitely is not a hard and fast rule about updating existing content. If we feel revamping existing content makes sense in the current state of the game and lore -- and we think it will be fun -- sure, it's a possibility. You definitely shouldn't expect this every patch though. In the grand scheme of World of Warcraft's history, we've reintroduced very little existing content per patch and expansion.

i don't mind.... hell i think is better this gives a chance to players that never got to exp. that place properly
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't want any more old content. I've done it all when it was relevant. Naxx was boring to me the moment I stepped in it. I've done ZG on the PTR and it's interesting, but I haven't done the whole instance, just certain parts. No idea if anything there's a direct rehash. ZA looks like a direct rehash from what I've done on the PTR. Not fun.

Yeah, lore permits remakes right now I guess. It also permits new content.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
It's not like Blizzard is the only company that does this, Sony did this with EQ all the time (sometimes to the detriment of the game, as was the case with Plane of Mischief)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
well guess I feel different then.

I think the old stuff should remain the stuff. WoW still has some lore and I would like to see all brand new content. I would rather wait for some really good quality stuff opposed to stuff that I already know about.

I don't like that they remove the original instances either.

thanks for reading.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I simply think that it's foolish to put all that work into raid content only to let it rot. Put a little bit of time in and keep it up to date. If you don't want to run it that's fine, but it's still there and available, providing still relevant challenge and loot (how many paladins wouldn't want to wear level 85 T2?? Come on you know you want to!). It includes all the spoils you've come to know and love too. Thunderfury, Glaives, Atiesh, Val'anyr, Shadowmourne. In fact, done properly the scaling could even be automatic, and require nothing more than someone putting in the new level caps adjusted values.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]