Is Old Content going to be Redone every patch

90 Night Elf Druid
03/10/2011 1:41 PMPosted by Blacksen
And let's get real - we know why you're recycling old content. With the next Starcraft 2 expansion, Diablo 3, and an "unannounced MMO" all in production, I'm guessing the art team has its hands full. Recycling old content is an easy way to create a "new" instance with old art assets.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of ignorance on these message boards...

Maybe Bliz needs to make a new video (I haven't watched the anniversary one yet) that shows (at a high level) how they create content so people see the level of work that goes into it... (while I have my issues with their ability to test class/spec balance changes, for content creation they have a system in place that has worked very well for years).
Reply Quote
7 Gnome Warlock
My issue isn't with revamping. It's removing the old version completely when introducing the new version.

It may have been Metzen who explained that, when you hit 58 and go to Outland, everything that is part of BC has to be there so that players can continue following the storyline; i.e. Illidan is still alive until you hit 68 and head to northrend, at which point you are informed that he was defeated and is dead, despite him being "alive" when you enter BT.

Now ZA is going to be totally gone as it was in BC. Plyers didn't run it at level very much, I understand. But new players going into the new ZA are basically picking up Book #2 after only getting a brief overview of what was in Book #1. There's not going to be a way to re read it, and that sucks for the people who liked it and the people who do want to read it before starting the sequel.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
the main thing that still remains unanswered to my knowledge, is where the F is Abyssal Maw? if they traded AM in for ZA/ZG, that would infuriate me quite a bit. whats the old saying or addage "don't dwell on the past..." im NOT saying that ZA/ZG shouldnt get another time to shine, but why bring them in now and not as filler for the time between the deathwing raid and wowxpac 4?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
My issue isn't with revamping. It's removing the old version completely when introducing the new version.

It may have been Metzen who explained that, when you hit 58 and go to Outland, everything that is part of BC has to be there so that players can continue following the storyline; i.e. Illidan is still alive until you hit 68 and head to northrend, at which point you are informed that he was defeated and is dead, despite him being "alive" when you enter BT.

Now ZA is going to be totally gone as it was in BC. Plyers didn't run it at level very much, I understand. But new players going into the new ZA are basically picking up Book #2 after only getting a brief overview of what was in Book #1. There's not going to be a way to re read it, and that sucks for the people who liked it and the people who do want to read it before starting the sequel.

Ever since Cata hit, the story line has been messed up. My preist is in northrend encountering Arthas after doing western Plagueland quests telling me he has been defeated in ICC. I do see where you're coming from, but to allow the story to progress we need to keep things going forward and sometimes that means sacrificing part of old story.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
03/10/2011 3:50 PMPosted by Zarhym
Is your definition of rehashed content deduced to the names of bosses being the same? There will always be recurring characters in World of Warcraft, as there is in any fantasy story telling. :)

To a certain degree it was a bit disappointing to see Nef and Ony (on her 3rd appearance) again. My personal issue is why can't you leave the original zones intact and create another instance portal? There are certain gear/set pieces that people like to farm for vanity or whatnot. I think leaving the original zones in place would take away a little bit of the bitterness from the community.
Reply Quote
I think it's a solid idea as long as the state of the game allows it. The way I feel, re-vamping old content caters to the people who want the nostalgia of how the game used to be, while creating new mechanics and challenges within the same content. It's kind of a best of both worlds. I don't mind it at all, and in fact welcome it. Moderation is key though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
If you ever find a way to add the Scarlet Crusade in the lore of this expansion, can we have a Heroic Mode SM, while still keeping the normal mode. For heroic it could be two instances, mixing Library with GY and Cathedral with Armory.
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Hunter
I typically don't post much on the forums, however I will agree that generalizing BWD as a redone BWL is a bit far fetched. That's like saying Icecrown is a redone Naxx purely based on the fact that their is a similar feel and there are undead there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
03/10/2011 3:50 PMPosted by Zarhym
BWL is arguably redone in BWD and molten core is about to be redone with firelands

Is your definition of rehashed content deduced to the names of bosses being the same? There will always be recurring characters in World of Warcraft, as there is in any fantasy story telling. :)
do these recurring characters have their heads ripped off and posted in major cities as well? i can moderately understand the ragnaros from MC being an avatar, but to bring back dragons who were definately dead as a "reoccuring" theme isnt the best strategy in my mind atleast
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Patch 4.4
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now level 83-85 leveling zones!
    Enjoy enhanced loot, harder encounters, and remember the first time you rolled a Troll, Orc, or Human!

Patch 4.4.1
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."

LOL simply epic
Edited by Buryit on 3/10/2011 4:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
03/10/2011 4:22 PMPosted by Rãnter

do these recurring characters have their heads ripped off and posted in major cities as well? i can moderately understand the ragnaros from MC being an avatar, but to bring back dragons who were definately dead as a "reoccuring" theme isnt the best strategy in my mind atleast

i agree. i can understand it if ur leveling an alt since each toons experience is "fresh", but if i see an super-undead ony or heaven forbid a ghost ony, i think thats overdoing it. i can see some bosses being redone over the years, but after the third time, cmon..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
<while playing Warcraft III campaign> What? I have to fight the scourge AGAIN?

Lame.

... >.>
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
You should only re-release instances which were hardly ever played. Naxx, deadmines, and shadowfang were good candidates. Onyxia was not.

ZA and ZG have been played to death.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i would agree i have enojyed going back and doing things in the old content and then getting to relive it when higher level. it's a type of reality on a virtual world.........of warcraft.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
[quote="22279522980"]There will always be recurring characters in World of Warcraft, as there is in any fantasy story telling. :)

I dont remember the wood's man killing the big bad wolf three times, or the evil witch of the west melting three times, or the three bears eating Goldilocks three times.

You might deal with a boss several times, but you don't fight him several times. Yes the same boss is the same boss, or else everything is completely pointless...nothing you do matter since everything will just "instantly respawns".

Certain bosses can be brought back if it makes sense such as banishing a demon, but you cant just start making every boss reappear. Undead Onyxia? Really?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Patch 4.4
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now level 83-85 leveling zones!
    Enjoy enhanced loot, harder encounters, and remember the first time you rolled a Troll, Orc, or Human!

Patch 4.4.1
    Elwynn Forest and Durotar are now properly phased. We apologize to the Trolls, Orcs, and Humans who were rolled in the past 3 weeks and instantly killed by level 84 mobs. You will all be properly compensated with a rare Feat of Strength: "I'm Not Even Supposed to be Here Today."

Why did somebody report this? That's actually pretty funny.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]