UA dispel penalty

30 Night Elf Druid
We think the silence from dispelling Unstable Affliction is sufficiently punitive, but the damage may be too low currently - - that it isn’t scary enough to make it a decision to dispel or not.

In general, it’s not our goal to offer dispel protection for every dot or hot out there, but Unstable Affliction is a spell and mechanic we like and we want to make sure it’s doing its job. Maybe a damage bump would be enough, but in any case it's an ability we're looking at.

Ah Bashiok you make my smile everytime I see that face... that is a face right?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
and for once in a long time with this game, ive smiled and looked forward to it
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Maybe.... just maybe theres an ounce of hope.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
What about Shadow Priests?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/29/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Kayolyn

This. Shadow Priests are just as reliant on DoTs, and even when Sin & Punishment works properly it is not at all a deterrence from dispelling our DoTs -- it quickly DRs to less than the GCD, and shares a DR with one of our long CD CC.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Very encouraging. If there were ZERO abilities that had self healing as a component of a dispel the UA kickback would be less problematic. Right now its just too trivial if not outhealed by those mechanics.

I get where the silence duration is in keeping with the CC reduction but the damage needs to be higher when you factor in resilience and the hots, shields, or self healing abilities out there. When is it not better to spam self healing dispels on the GCD for cheap mana than to spend mana to heal?

AJ multi glads say 35-40K versus 3700'ish resilience and I would agree with that considering you get whalloped for that or more in a gcd by a variety of specs (most noteably warriors, starsurge, MM hunters, mindblast autocrit, etc) UA kickback is one place that has ZERO pve ramifications so its safe to increase without any unintended pve ramifications.

Speaking of self healing.....is it intended that recup outheals the dots pvp afflocks put up? Sub rogues have an absurd amount of combo points so the opportunity cost isn't that high. Certainly not the same tradeoff as going from fel armor to demon armor in terms of offensive:defensive pressure.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Hopefully they look at VT's dispel protection too, sooner, rather than later. But thats for another thread. In the meantime, my warlock has hope.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
how about a bigger dispel penalty for vampiric touch? its already pretty bad when compared to UA. a 3 second horror vs a 4 second silence + damage. doesnt seem close to me which is better
Reply Quote
We think the silence from dispelling Unstable Affliction is sufficiently punitive, but the damage may be too low currently - - that it isn’t scary enough to make it a decision to dispel or not.

In general, it’s not our goal to offer dispel protection for every dot or hot out there, but Unstable Affliction is a spell and mechanic we like and we want to make sure it’s doing its job. Maybe a damage bump would be enough, but in any case it's an ability we're looking at.

If it was a 4 second silence everytime. The other problem which you failed to address is that the more you dispell UA the better it becomes for you as the Silence goes towards DR. Good players will Dispel UA in a time of little pressure such as a quick UA - Fear Combo to get themselves on DR for high pressure moments.

I large damage boost would compensate, or make it only go down to a 2 second silence. Dispels were supposed to mean something this expansion but nobody has seen that actually come into play.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Glad they are acknowledging this, FINALLY.

Here is my suggestion. Drastically increase not the crit rate, but the crit damage bonus on it. Make it so its like russian roulette for dispelers. Give it a 300% crit damage bonus so that they are taking thier life into their hands when they try choose to dispel.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/29/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Atuan

This. Shadow Priests are just as reliant on DoTs, and even when Sin & Punishment works properly it is not at all a deterrence from dispelling our DoTs -- it quickly DRs to less than the GCD, and shares a DR with one of our long CD CC.

Yeah that was the whole "In general, it’s not our goal to offer dispel protection for every dot or hot out there" part.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/29/2011 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

And what about immolate? Destro is pretty screwed atm because of this.

If you want to bake it into talents and make destro spec into it, there is that dead "improved searing pain" talent clogging up the tree which could be changed to allow immolate to be undispellable. And since it's a tier 2 talent, demo could reach it too.
Edited by Malor on 3/29/2011 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock

/cheer
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The problem shouldn't be that UA/VT should be increased from their current implementation of effects. The problem should be that dispelling should be much more punitive then it is now to the mana pool of whomever casts it. In any case a dispell should a least cost in terms of mana greater then the cost of the spell its removing. right now, the priest magic dispel removes 2 spells from the target at a cost of 3k mana, or lower with inner will and mental agility, while the cost of mana for the dots it can remove are usually around a cost of 4k mana. so at the cost of 3k mana a player can remove with the cost of 8k mana to cast on the target.

So what if the cost of dispels were 10k mana or more? This would severely reduce the amount that it is used, punitive enough for players to think about their mana before using a dispell. this would allow blizzard to not increase the power of dispels/dispel protections because it forces players to choose between dispelling and their mana pool... sort of like how blizzard said they intended for dispels in cata to be.

a fix like this would make them also change boss mechanics at 85 to reduce the amount of dispelling needed as it would be a balance issue for dispels to cost so much in pve. may not be a reasonable fix then.
Edited by Espadaone on 3/29/2011 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I think you are missing the mana cost too.

Dispelling is not mana free, you dispell UA, then you are silenced by 4 seconds, in which your dots keeps tickling, even if you dont reapply UA in those 4 seconds, we have a choice to dispell the rest of the dots that have already been more than 5 seconds tickling with the full mana cost that would require or not.

Having to receive a damage of 35k would make it really OP.

Warriors hit that hard because they can have 100% of their damage negated with ccs, make UA hit that hard would be insane.

I think healers already receive a huge hit in cata, we dont need to have more insattisfaction in this game, maybe they should put some of the weight of the game in the hands of the DPS and stop screwing healers.

Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/29/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
Yeah that was the whole "In general, it’s not our goal to offer dispel protection for every dot or hot out there" part.

Then why are two shadow priest talents specifically designed with the intent to attempt to protect DoTs?

I think what is being said is they are also not functioning as effectively as they should be. I would also like to apologize to my warlock brothers and sisters for co-opting their thread, but I think the overarching issue of dispels and protection against them is the main thrust anyway.

edit: Missing letters makes me sound even dumber.
Edited by Daly on 3/29/2011 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]