Druids

85 Blood Elf Hunter
Question on the state of druid tanks in cataclysm. I want to start a druid to be main spec healer but might like to tank a bit too. But i find it curious that I havn't seen a druid tank in pug group in a very long time.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Druids... are in a bit of an iffy place for random dungeons. They have the lowest AoE threat of all the tanks right now and it makes doing randoms on them more difficult, since AoEing is the main focus. It seems a lot of people just can't be bothered.

EDIT: To be clear, druids can do 5 mans just fine, I did one on my level 81 druid just before and had no issues that wouldn't have also been issues on any of my other tanks. People are just too lazy.
-----
Attack tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869253719
Edited by Waniou on 3/14/2011 4:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
A good druid tank who knows what he has available will be fine, but will have to work a little bit harder to manage aoe aggro. Because it is easier to tank as any other tanking class, most tanks have just chosen not to go for druids it seems.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
We're certainly fine. The reason you won't find many druid tanks in the lfg system is because we only need three pieces of valor gear =D
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Ive got all 4 tanks at 85. Druid is by far the hardest to tank with. Its not that we take too much damage, its that we have crap for AOE threat. This is a real issue in 5 mans, even the normals. Many players que for normals just for the JPs, when they vastly outgear the place. Makes it real tough as a tank to hold threat.

It just makes no sense how a single Death and Decay from a DK can gather an entire group and keep threat on ALL of them at sky high levels.

A druid continuosly swipes/thrashes and tab targets mangle/lacerate and is constantly "growling".
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Yeah Druids are fine. A little more work then other tanks.

As with all Tanks it really boils down to how smart your dps is and how good your survivability is.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/14/2011 6:24 AMPosted by Whalephant
Ive got all 4 tanks at 85. Druid is by far the hardest to tank with.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing things like this....Do we have to work harder? Yes

Made me lol.

Again, I don't pug.

Explains a lot.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Druid's are generally fine in all rolls at the moment (at least in PvE). Bears are rare for a myriad of reasons: a bit more work to tank than some other classes, terrible experience trying to level a druid as a tank leading to fewer new bear tanks coming up, and others.

Yes, if you sacrifice all hit and expertise in favor of dodge, 5-mans will be irritating to tank. However, reforging is never that expensive, its not hard if you find yourself mostly tanking 5 mans to just reforge for hit and expertise, and then change it all back to didge before raid time.

The fact that justice points are basically worthless for so many people now means that there are fewer tanks in general in the random ques. 4.2 will likely help this a bit, at least while everyone who didn't get to get all their gear from raids starts to see Justice Points as a way to gear up quickly. Lots of people, guilds, and in some cases almost entire realms are essentially a tier behind in progression. These people get tired of running one random a day for valor points, since the points aren't immediately needed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
03/14/2011 10:57 AMPosted by Cyndril
The fact that justice points are basically worthless for so many people now means that there are fewer tanks in general in the random ques. 4.2 will likely help this a bit, at least while everyone who didn't get to get all their gear from raids starts to see Justice Points as a way to gear up quickly. Lots of people, guilds, and in some cases almost entire realms are essentially a tier behind in progression. These people get tired of running one random a day for valor points, since the points aren't immediately needed.

VP are also pretty useless for Ferals in comparison to other tanking classes.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
03/14/2011 10:57 AMPosted by Cyndril
Druid's are generally fine in all rolls at the moment (at least in PvE). Bears are rare for a myriad of reasons: a bit more work to tank than some other classes, terrible experience trying to level a druid as a tank leading to fewer new bear tanks coming up, and others.

Once again, there's no evidence that bears are any more or less common as raid tanks than they were in WotLK.

Feral tank population almost certainly has next to nothing to do with the factors you mention. In addition, Bears are probably the best tanks on every raid boss but Chimaeron.

That being said, low level bears should be fixed.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Tried one but got so many problems holding agro with dps with looms pulling too much (low lvl tank). So i decided to keep my pally, dk and growing atm my warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

I don't see how this is true at all. You, for example, have 5 pieces of VP gear equipped. We go for a VP trinket, unlike plate tanks. We go for the relic, unlike Warriors. Our tier may not be best itemized, but it's still nice to have for when we can get good use out of the 4-piece.

In addition, we have more OS gear to buy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT

I don't see how this is true at all. You, for example, have 5 pieces of VP gear equipped. We go for a VP trinket, unlike plate tanks. We go for the relic, unlike Warriors. Our tier may not be best itemized, but it's still nice to have for when we can get good use out of the 4-piece.

1 Trinket, Pants, Relic, and Ring. I'm only wearing the cloak because I haven't gotten the drop yet.

Total VP cost: 5400

DKs for example can use:
Cloak, Chest, Gloves, Legs, Boots, Ring and Relic.

Total VP cost: 10900.

I think you can see my point.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

1 Trinket, Pants, Relic, and Ring. I'm only wearing the cloak because I haven't gotten the drop yet.

DKs for example can use:

How is that a fair comparison? There's plenty of DK stuff on that list which the DK would only use if they haven't gotten the drop yet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT

DKs for example can use:

How is that a fair comparison? There's plenty of DK stuff on that list which the DK would only use if they haven't gotten the drop yet.

The difference being we would never touch the other tier pieces, even if we had the VP for them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
03/14/2011 11:33 AMPosted by Arielle
The difference being we would never touch the other tier pieces, even if we had the VP for them.

That's not true at all. They're not BiS, but if you haven't gotten better they're still very nice items. Plus, the 4-piece is sometimes better than the stats you lose.

And plate tanks are in the same boat. Some of the items you mentioned aren't any better for them than the ones you exclude are for us.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid

DKs for example can use:

Isn't the lightning conductor band from the Omnotron Defense System better than the hornet-sting band?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]