Ask the Devs - Answers #1

99 Orc Hunter
Q: Would you tell me your thoughts about the recent PvP balance? I’m wondering about the future plans that Devs has on PvP balance change. For example, only a few number of Hunter are found in the Arena and this has not been changed for years. - Stormnreaker (Korea)
A: We are pretty happy with PvP balance overall. We think this season may be the best overall in terms of balance. There are definitely some areas where we can improve. Remember that part of our goal with Cataclysm was to encourage more players to try Rated Battlegrounds as an alternative to Arenas. Some classes that struggle in Arena, like hunters and Balance druids, perform very well in Battlegrounds. We recognize that Rated Battlegrounds haven’t yet caught on with players, especially more casual PvP players, as much as we’d like.

Q: What do the developers think of the current state of hunters? (PVP balance) – Albevil (Europe [Spanish])
A: Hunters are good for very skilled players and particularly in Rated Battlegrounds. Our challenge has always been to make the class a little more forgiving to play in PvP at the medium level without making them unbeatable in the hands of a truly talented player. We think the recent changes, such as Auto Shot on the move and allowing Deterrence to prevent attacks that typically always hit, will help bridge that gap. We’re starting to discuss more whether hunters need the opportunity to do some damage in melee range instead of always focusing on escape. While the hunter is ultimately a ranged class, it is true that other casters can make the decision to keep casting while in melee range, even if they suffer consequences for doing so.

This is pretty sad right here.

1) Telling us to do rated BG's is like telling a class that can't perform very well in end game Raiding to not worry because they can always do Heroics. Also, do you know how hard it is for a guy like me to get a consistent arena team going, let alone 10 people to do rated bgs?

2) I think it's a tragedy of design that Blizzard is willing to let hunter's languish based on the QQ of other high rated players. Saying we can't get buffs because the better will only get stronger. Why do we have to fly a Helicopter when other classes get to drive a Kia Rio (thanks for that analogy Threats)? Rogues are completely OP in the hands of people like Reckful and that is totally ok. But if a Hunter performs that well, it's nerf city. Why do you guys do this? Where is your logic? Look at Reckful, 3000 rated Rogue and he is UNBEATABLE and that's ok? 117-4 this season and he personally is 54-1. Why is that ok?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/reckful/pvp#3v3

3) The bottom line is that it appears you guys are never, ever going to give hunters anything that is going to help them be anything but bottom of the barrel in terms of pvp. Although Design has put a lot of time and effort into hunters, the Hunter community feels like Design has failed the class in terms of PvP and continue to fail it while sticking to the same rhetoric.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. I'm not mad, just disappointed to the point that I feel sick to my stomach.
Edited by Rexzoolza on 3/14/2011 12:46 PM PDT
Q: During the expansions released since vanilla, the specialities of the different classes were watered down more and more. By now, many classes can do almost everything and almost none is still special. Are there any steps planned to give the classes more “charisma”, so that they are more distinguished from each other and regain their special flair? – Blades (Europe [German])
A: Sometimes when players say “special flair” what they really mean is “something so awesome that everyone will have to take me.” We really don’t want to go back to that model, which just isn’t tenable in a game with 10-player raids and 30 different talent trees. We have no problem spreading around buffs and utility that we consider more-or-less mandatory, such as the battle rezes and raid buffs. At the same time, we think there are enough unique abilities out there to make the various talent trees shine. Shaman have a great interrupt with Wind Shear. Warlocks can get out of danger with Demonic Portal. Discipline priests can mitigate a lot of damage with Power Word: Barrier, but Unholy death knights have their own version in Anti-Magic Zone. We struggle a lot with how much homogenization is good for the game, largely so that you can play with your friends, and how much is bad for the game, because then your character feels less special. It’s something we’ll continue to work on in an attempt to strike that perfect balance.

Are you kidding me?!?!? Shamans unique ablity is to interupt spellcasting?!?!?!

I must be missing something when you decided that damage interupt spellcasting all classes have it. Is a shaman unique ablity to be able to interupt spellcasting? This is outright a slap in the face and what shamans have been complaining about for the last 5 years. You as CM and Developers have farmed out every unique talent that we were based off of, we were to bring buffs to raids. And as for the unique tallent to drop a tremor totem that is a kick in the B_LLS after the duration reduction. Pass the nerfs around and drop the facad. Play an ele shammy and see the problems if you do not understand. Get your head out of the dirt and look around. Create an ele shaman and play him and get him up to lvl 85 and see how OP every other class is to ours. That is if you can play him.

It was ment so that we provided Unique buffs and we could heal, as to why our dps and heals were nerfed, as in being a 'Hybrid Class'. And not to worry the meaning has changed to any class that can fill in for more then one position in LFD. The nerf that we originally based off of needs to be removed and needs to be addressed, NOW! Not just another kick in the groin or slap in the face. QUIT INSULTING US.

Sorry I though Unique was something someone else does not have. Or are you are impling removing all other interups except Wind Shear from the game I am all for it. This would give us back the Unique tallent again. Ranging from hunters stun bolts that can no longer interupt casting. To a mage who tries to shut down our casting school for 8 seconds, that interupts our casting. That is a great idea. I fully support any other interupt removal out of the game on the grounds that it is a Unique ablitiy that the CM and Dev have determined is a Unique ablitiy for shamans only.Or are you making it so that ele shamans can not be interupted while casting except by another shaman. And casting will no longer be interupted by taking damage, so that a 1 second spell cast is exactly that, 1 second.

Unique. Do you understand the meaning of words you use, or are you just tring to string words along in an excuse for the total lack of understanind what you have written?

Name 4 classes that do not have this Unique ablity of interupting spell casting. If you can not, I have proven my words. What excuse now will you come up with for ignoring us now?

Dude, the uniqueness is in the six second cooldown. Chill.
85 Undead Warrior
Take a poll and see if anyone is attached to their undead character's look.

I'll simply post my vote as "ugliest, dopiest, most doofy looking race in the game hands down".
13 Goblin Hunter
[b]Q: Will we ever see a feature like the Appearance Tab - some way to make use of all the different equipment art for items we already have without having to give up on stats in order to do so? If no, then why not? – Welcome (North America/ANZ), Ферундал (Europe [Russian])
A: Having more ways to customize the appearance of their character is something players often ask for and something we’d love to improve. Seriously. We hear you loud and clear on this one. We do have some ideas we’re discussing, but we’re not ready to share them quite yet. Our concerns have always included making sure that the character art still maintains a level of quality even if extensively customized, and making sure that character silhouettes are easily recognizable. Those aren’t show-stopping concerns that would prevent us from ever taking the plunge, but they are concerns.

First, thanks for answering this question (however vaguely as to time, hehe).

Second, now that you (generic Blue "you") have broken your years-long silence on the subject with some hints as to your concerns, is there any chance someone could expound upon them in the current iteration of the Appearance Tab thread? We'd happily thrash out those concerns amongst ourselves... sort of a forum focus group, if you will.
36 Worgen Rogue
I looked over the entire Question thread and none of the US ones were liked even once, two were disliked and you didn't even answer THESE
85 Tauren Druid
[b]Q: Will we ever see a feature like the Appearance Tab - some way to make use of all the different equipment art for items we already have without having to give up on stats in order to do so? If no, then why not? – Welcome (North America/ANZ), Ферундал (Europe [Russian])
A: Having more ways to customize the appearance of their character is something players often ask for and something we’d love to improve. Seriously. We hear you loud and clear on this one. We do have some ideas we’re discussing, but we’re not ready to share them quite yet. Our concerns have always included making sure that the character art still maintains a level of quality even if extensively customized, and making sure that character silhouettes are easily recognizable. Those aren’t show-stopping concerns that would prevent us from ever taking the plunge, but they are concerns.

First, thanks for answering this question (however vaguely as to time, hehe).

Second, now that you (generic Blue "you") have broken your years-long silence on the subject with some hints as to your concerns, is there any chance someone could expound upon them in the current iteration of the Appearance Tab thread? We'd happily thrash out those concerns amongst ourselves... sort of a forum focus group, if you will.

Please this. It'd be nice to get some kind of real discussion going on.
85 Dwarf Shaman
Pretty much exactly what I expected from the Q and A.

A few stupid questions, a few well thought out questions, a few vague answers, a few good answers and a few answers that just completely missed the mark.

For example, when asked about Hunter balance in PvP and overall PvP balance, the response was that Blue felt this was the most balanced season so far and they were relatively happy with PvP. The problem is that without clarifying what they mean by balance, the answer is pretty pointless.

Is balance having the most number of specs around the same level? If balance having each class have at least one PvP viable spec? Is balance having the fewest possible outliers in terms of damage, survivability, and healing?

When asked why Battlegrounds offered very little in terms of rewards for winning in terms of Conquest Points in relation to Heroics and Valor Points, Blizzard seems to have completely missed the point and instead decided to talk about Rated Battlegrounds.

The question about whether Blizzard likes DKs and the theory behind Hero Classes...Why was this question even asked/answered? Blizzard has stated so many times that they like the idea behind Hero Classes but that they want to make sure they aren't redundant of pre-existing classes. They've said this over and over and over. Why did the question need to be asked/answered again?

In the future, if these Developer Q and As are meant to be the new norm, why isn't a better system designed for asking questions?

1. Let players submit questions

2. Pick 100 questions at Blizzards discretion and put them up for player voting.

3. Blizzard then picks and answers 10 of the top 20 questions voted on.
90 Human Paladin
These Q&A answers were horrible, they didnt touch on anything important. there were only a few questions answered regarding pvp and they sad it was balanced. hunters for some reason are not supposed to be viable and arena's and should stick to RBGs, there were a bunch of questions regarding warriors, pally's and nothing was answered, they completely dodged anything thats worth answering and instead we get dumb responses about bags, appearances and other crap that like 10 people out of the the whole community care about.

forums were flooded with questions regarding pvp balance and each individual classes balances. then we received a bunch of post that told us to wait for Q&A and now this?
Edited by Fimka on 3/14/2011 12:56 PM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
Dude, the uniqueness is in the six second cooldown. Chill.

Let me try! Let me try! I believe the poster is angry about the fact that helpful, unique abilities were listed for the other classes and shaman's cited ability was an....interrupt. And I think this is incredibly telling....I'm actually shocked that shamans were included in the list. Why? Because sadly, Wind Shear was the only item Shamans have....there is NOTHING else to cite...now pls run in fear my 2 second LB cast and lowest dps DoT. Don't worry, my root won't trip you up....it's not supported by spell pen.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wind Shear is great....but should it be our class-defining ability...mayhaps not.
90 Human Paladin
03/14/2011 12:53 PMPosted by Tromic
We also wanted to make the DK mechanics slightly more complex, so we wanted to make sure only veteran players were exposed to them

L O L. u nailed that one blizz. really nailed that one.

they made sure alright, by making them better than other melee classes. anyone know if Rift is any good. i am so tired of this
Sometimes when players say “special flair” what they really mean is “something so awesome that everyone will have to take me.” We really don’t want to go back to that model...

I'm sorry, but I'm not happy with this answer. You sound like you're putting words into another player's mouth and I'm almost certain this is not what the question-asker meant at all. I am requesting that you rephrase your answer a bit better.

As a discipline priest I am scowling very heavily with the changes that have been implemented and are coming. Our "special flair" is our shields. Mana is a huge issue right now and despite all the tips and tricks I've attempted to implement based on suggestions from, well, everyone, nothing works. I run out of mana every couple of trash pulls in an instance and this should not happen. I am far more geared for healing than my shaman, yet my shaman does not have near as many problems with mana. My shield costs so much to use that it's not worth using anymore. Yet you want to provide a talent to Holy that reduces the shield cost. Please tell me you're following my train of thought on this because that is ludicrous to say the least. Discipline priests are all about the damage mitigation while Holy is all about the healing. Attempting to homogenize this is not a good idea since it takes away from that "special flair" as you like to put in quotes that makes our particular specs what they are. Yes, priests are about healing. But discipline is discipline because they provide less healing than they do mitigation of damage. I should be worrying more about this than trying to smack my #2 key (bound to Heal) constantly trying to keep up with the sheer amount of damage being done to a tank with little chance to throw up a shield that will pop in 1 second flat anyway. If you're going to take away what makes us special, then consider significantly buffing our damage output since we seem built for some damage as well.

Long story short, it's not fun to play my priest anymore. I am struggling severely with healing right now because you're tinkering too much with our "special flair" and I really don't want to have to switch to Holy just to have a chance.
Edited by Vangon on 3/14/2011 1:00 PM PDT
85 Goblin Warrior
I have to ask Neth.

Which Blizzard Team Member choose building Star wars lego sets? I want to be his/her new friend!!!!!
Edited by Foxin on 3/14/2011 1:01 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
What about skirms?
90 Draenei Mage
As a relative new player - a few months old on WoW - I am slightly disturbed by some of the revelations, especially regarding the 60-80 leveling experience (mostly 60-70 - Outland is horrible)... but I have to agree with some of the veterans that class homogenization is definitely not the most attractive approach. To me, at least.

When I started playing, I was mostly attracted to the Druid, Mage, Warlock and Hunter due to some great mechanics available to these classes. Druids can shapeshift and perform a variety of roles, Mages can open portals (I heard that we were able to create food as well, but this is nowhere to be found in my tech tree so far :( ), Warlocks have resources such as death gate, soulstone and healthstone, and finally Hunters get a variety of pets to explore (including pet food).

The latest PTR changes to Hunters for example, removing pet food, are to me a bad decision, because it kills something unique to the class. It's not particularly hard to carry food to feed your buddy with from time to time! What's the reason behind this removal, other than making the Hunter more boring? :(

DKs gaining a ressurrection spell hardly seems fitting for the class theme, either. A runeblade-wielding shadow caster restoring life, instead of corrupting it? No! :((

The way this is going, I can foresee some incoming changes of this tone. Patch 4.2 notes: Warlocks can now wear plate armor and are no longer able to create healthstones; Moonkin Form is now a temporary buff and lasts 20 seconds; Power Word: Shield has been removed from the game; all Hunter pets now deal the same amount of damage; Warriors have gained the Berserker Healing ability, which enables them to heal other party members; Paladins can now shift into an angel at lvl 10, gaining a 40% speed boost while active.

Exagerations aside, I think this game is awesome, but please, keep classes unique! If you want to shapeshift, play a druid. If you want to stealth and assassinate, play a rogue. If you want to heal, pick one of the 4 classes capable of healing and learn how your particular class does it; and if you're unhappy with it, pick another whose healing technique might suit your mood better. And so on.

This is how I learned to enjoy this game, and I'll be happy if the uniquess is kept.

Instead, focus on new content and, on more of a long-term goal, improving the 60-80 leveling experiencing and story so that the game is more consistent.
85 Worgen Mage
DANCE CHANGING ROOMS LIKE A BARBER THING FOR DANCES!!!
23 Human Warrior
These Q&A answers were horrible, they didnt touch on anything important. there were only a few questions answered regarding pvp and they sad it was balanced. hunters for some reason are not supposed to be viable and arena's and should stick to RBGs, there were a bunch of questions regarding warriors, pally's and nothing was answered, they completely dodged anything thats worth answering and instead we get dumb responses about bags, appearances and other crap that like 10 people out of the the whole community care about.

forums were flooded with questions regarding pvp balance and each individual classes balances. then we received a bunch of post that told us to wait for Q&A and now this?

You may have missed it but the next Q&A is going to be strictly about pvp. Any non-pvp question is supposed to be deleted by the CMs.
03/14/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Brelina
I looked over the entire Question thread and none of the US ones were liked even once, two were disliked and you didn't even answer THESE

Huh? If you search "ask the devs" and sort by popularity, you'll see these were most of the highest rated questions. I'm not sure what you were looking at...
23 Human Warrior
03/14/2011 1:09 PMPosted by Selaana
but I have to agree with some of the veterans that class homogenization is definitely not the most attractive approach. To me, at least.

This is a huge concern of mine. Classes are getting more and more homogenized every patch.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]