Ask the Devs - Answers #1

90 Tauren Shaman
It seems like a lot of these posts could not by any means be the top Q/A question that was voted on.
But what do we know, we cannot see the votes.

Oh and best balanced pvp season? roflmao
85 Worgen Druid
03/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
Some classes that struggle in Arena, like hunters and Balance druids, perform very well in Battlegrounds.

During Cataclysm beta I recall one of the developers specifically saying that a boomkin had to be as good of a choice for an arena team as a mage. What happened to that? This answer makes me think that blizz is ok with hunters and boomkins being bad in the arena because they're ok in rated battlegrounds.
90 Orc Shaman
. res
85 Gnome Warrior
Very Impressed :D I look forward to your pvp discussion.
85 Night Elf Mage
Our concerns have always included making sure that the character art still maintains a level of quality even if extensively customized, and making sure that character silhouettes are easily recognizable.

The character art quality couldn't get any lower than being forced into mismatched gear or gear a player finds hideously ugly. Whose standards of quality are we discussing, here? What makes you think your standards are superior to those of your players? How do you presume to please customers while ignoring their standards? Why is there even a concern that item models Blizzard created and implimented in-game could be "low quality?"

Silhouettes aren't easily recognizable now: is that a warrior in paladin shoulders, or a paladin in warrior shoulders? I can't tell, they share a model. This is a failed paradigm. Abandon it and get over yoursevles.

Give us an appearance tab.

It's pretty obvious by reading their response that they are giving you an appearance tab, settle down.

They're just not telling how they're going to go about doing it. I'm actually quite glad they're hinting at a restriction for it.

If they can't handle response and criticism, they should indeed not bother to have CMs at all. I call shenanigans where I see them. Having trepidations about an appearance tab, which uses only in-game models they themselves designed, due to "quality" is almost more shenanigans than I can take.

If players were happy with the current "quality" or art Blizzard provides, they'd have no idea what an appearance tab is in the first place.

Pretty sure the point of the post you quoted was essentially telling you to grow up. It's not criticism when you're insulting them. You're frothing at the mouth for some fluff feature, and telling them to "get over themselves". Take your own advice.
Edited by Illythia on 3/14/2011 9:54 AM PDT
For the next batch of questions, could you please please please share the voting numbers for each question with the community.

For now, it's entirely possible for the devs to cherry pick questions to answer and say it got the most votes because we cannot see the results.

Healer flasks? Node phasing? These are the burning questions that people were dying to have answered? I'm slightly dubious.

82 Goblin Hunter
For the next batch of questions, could you please please please share the voting numbers for each question with the community.

For now, it's entirely possible for the devs to cherry pick questions to answer and say it got the most votes because we cannot see the results.

Healer flasks? Node phasing? These are the burning questions that people were dying to have answered? I'm slightly dubious.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=Ask%20the%20Devs&s=popularity&f=post
85 Draenei Shaman

Mabey, mabey not, you could be right there. But as a healer.. and farming twilight jasmine for my draconic minds, I am actually glad to see these two made it on the list.
85 Undead Warlock
Q: Could we see more dynamic events in WoW? For example something like sand storms in Uldum that would blind everyone affecting the agro of the mobs. – Dagoûu (Europe ([French])
A: We would like to ultimately have the world feel more dynamic and a bit less predictable. We would want for these events to feel epic though and not just annoying. We’re going to test the waters here a little in a future patch and see what feels good.

FIRESTORMS WHICH MELT YOUR FLESH OFF IN FIRELANDS ?!?!?!??! OMG BLUE CONFIRMED.... right?
90 Night Elf Druid
Pro
It’s something we’ll continue to work on in an attempt to strike that perfect balance.

Warlocks can get out of danger with Demonic Portal.

It think this is the course the game may take. Giving more cool abilities rather than "OP abilities". Mages are still wanted for their conjured food. Rogues are still the only one with a free lockpicking.

More abilities that affect less the way the battle goes but more the between battle thing.

Some ideas could be giving hunters a summable owl or bird pet that works as mail box.
Warriors may have a special servant that may bring bank stuffs.
Some may bring a pocket anvil or create a mini forge.

We want it to feel like one game with a unified set of rules.

I think this can be possible but giving an extra feeling may be good. Right now, the feeling from PvP and PvE is way too different, simply by know what you are against.

I think it would be a good idea to bring more "PvP fights" to dungeons and raid. Or make PvE fights more dynamics. Maybe, add more "smart NPCs" that ignore regular PvE mechanisms so players are encouraged to CC o interrupt them.

Another idea is giving a buff or debuff alike tanacity with the intention to balance things. Giving this buff inside of BG and arenas may help with most troubles inside these environments. Because, to be honest, most changes that work to balance arenas or rated BGs may affect the rest of the environments.

Far more, adding more PvP stats alike resilience but that are offensive. Something that affects damage against players.
Community Manager
03/14/2011 9:53 AMPosted by Degrim

As stated in the Q&A rules, votes help influence which questions we'll choose to answer but we are absolutely choosing to answer specific questions. Voting helps to show us which are most important to the community, and thus we'll try to answer them for that reason. For instance the "What do you do when you're not working" question got the most votes by far for these forums. But, say the question is "What's the setting for the new MMO?" and it's #1 most voted question, we're just not going to touch it. We have openly left ourselves a way out, as much as I know you had hoped to be able to paint us into a corner. ;)

Overall you should not expect to see any announcements through these Q&A's. Because of that we're going to be theming all future Ask the Devs to ensure we're able to focus them to smaller, but maybe even more important questions to be answered, that don't include big grandiose announcements of features.
16 Human Warlock
While I appreciate the answers the one for pvp balance isn't what I expected at all. This season is no where close to being the most balanced of them all. Theres a lot of improvement to be made.
90 Worgen Druid
I really wish they would consider Player/Guild housing. The guild i'm in, are a tightly knit group that is slowly expanding. We go at our own pace and are not the hard core types. We have have fun lvling alts running lowbies attacking horde cities what have you. So yes, we are the definition of casual. Blizz, in my opinion, does cater a little to the hard core end game players, so why not for us ultra laid back players?
85 Human Mage
Nuts my questions wasn't answered.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]