Ask the Devs - Answers #1

90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/14/2011 9:22 AMPosted by Wasselin
Our concerns have always included making sure that the character art still maintains a level of quality even if extensively customized, and making sure that character silhouettes are easily recognizable.

This answer is pretty laughable considering what some players look like in the game. In game it's often hard to tell the difference between plate and cloth shoulders let alone tell which class is which by "silhouette."

Give us an appearance tab.

I wholly agree with this post, the answer Blizz always give us is at best delusional. They refuse to admit how low customization is in this game, and how cumbersome it is when you actually want to customize your character. The mmo audience want customization, denying that will only make you lose people to other games, we are not going to wait forever for it to be implemented.
90 Draenei Shaman
03/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
We think this season may be the best overall in terms of balance.

apart from s5 this is probably the most unbalanced season yet, and the fact you guys are "happy" with pvp in its current state is really disappointing
03/17/2011 4:10 PMPosted by Leupacob
We think this season may be the best overall in terms of balance.

apart from s5 this is probably the most unbalanced season yet, and the fact you guys are "happy" with pvp in its current state is really disappointing

Amen.
87 Undead Rogue
EXPLOIT(ed) "Underwater Breathing" as a first ever oxymoronic taughtology.

Wonders what discussions lead to and who was responcible for progressing this far to often abused talent, who's wording is less thought out then the talent giving Undead endurance issues.

I would equate that discussion to the House Rep from GA who last year was quoted as haveing a concern over 10k+ Soldiers being moved from Japan to guam and that such a concentration of people on only one side of the island " Would cause the Island to capsize." (???)
Edited by Loialone on 3/17/2011 6:17 PM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
Q: Will the devs consider giving us reason to interact in the new world of cataclysm? We sit in cities waiting on queues. Theres little reason to leave the city gates outside of farming and archeology. The *main* cities feel alive, the world however feels quite dead. - Odiem (North America/ANZ)
A: While you’re leveling up your character and gathering professions, you’re more than likely interacting with the world plenty. World of Warcraft’s endgame has centered on dungeons, raids, Battlegrounds and Arenas for some time, so it’s natural that you spend more time in cities organizing and preparing for those group-based events. We do think there is more that we can do to promote compelling solo gameplay for max level characters, though. The 4.2 patch has a pretty epic questing experience involving the Firelands and we’re really excited to see how players respond to it.

I have a problem with this answer. I don't know quite how to put it. It feels like a total dodge. The problem isn't we're spending too much time preparing for end-game content, it's that end-game content has no incentive for us to leave the city. And no, leveling is not enough interaction. There are five beautiful, completely new zones out there, and I hit 85 after less than 48 hours played. I went back to work on my Loremaster of Cataclysm achievement, and I was practically the only one there. I think I saw one person in Twilight Highlands and three in Vash'Jir.

I know this response isn't particularly eloquent or thought out, but it's what I have to say.
85 Human Paladin
Regarding hunters: "While the hunter is ultimately a ranged class, ..."

That is true only in hunting cultures which invented (or adopted) the sling and/or the bow and arrow, and not entirely true for many of the ones which did.

Even after the mid-20th century, there were hunting societies in which the spear and a knife or short-sword were used, including at least one in Africa whose men often hunted lions to protect their herds of livestock. Inuit hunters primarily used harpoons to kill sea mammals and bears, if only because the simple short bow cannot launch an arrow with enough force to kill the larger sea mammals and bears without a critical hit (and maybe not regardless of whether the arrow does penetrate a critical area).

With regard to melee fighting, at least, hunters should be able to equip (1) a spear, dagger, short-sword, or hatchet, and (2) a light shield. Those would not be their primary weapons in most contexts but a hunter should not be defenseless when their is no advantage to using a ranged weapon. (They should also be able to use thrown weapons, such as knives, small axes, and javelins.)
100 Night Elf Hunter
thanks for letting me know you guys think its ok that hunters suck in arena. year after year i quit being serious because it isnt fun but frustrating. i am over waiting for what would now be a damn miracle.
being on an rp server getting a group of 10 pvpers, geared and ready to do rated bgs is not possible. so your idea on why hunters can suck ass in arena does not sit with me well at all.
you can stick your monthly subs you know where, i 'saved' my wow days by rolling a demonlock yet you made them worthless with the nerf to fel armor. i am not an idiot and not paying for this unbalanced game anymore. i no longer raid and pvp exclusively and i am sick of how hard i need to play against some scrub who makes 10 mistakes and still wins.

it is not 'working as intended' when one class suffers at the bottom of the pile season after season since inception. is it just too damn hard to fix them? then quit your damn jobs as your not good enough if you think so. you would want to read the hunter forums more often, sure there are plenty of bad ideas but many that are far better than the devs have ever come up with. your idea of focus is a disaster for pvp. traps are pathetic and not subject to spell penetration? ffs get a grip and fix this this crap. spell pen for serpent sting? wtf would i use that much focus for in pvp unless its a rogue? i'd also be unable to use a freezing trap. gg dumbasses.

bring on star wars- the old republic. the end of wow as we know it.
77 Blood Elf Mage
An appearance tab? For me? Oh wonderful, I can make myself more beautiful and compete for Prettiest Male Villain this year!
85 Orc Warrior
That would be really nice. Imagine a 40-man bg with dynamic objects like swinging spiked balls that could hit the player and sliding swords in the ceiling!
86 Human Warlock
Q: Will we ever see a feature like the Appearance Tab - some way to make use of all the different equipment art for items we already have without having to give up on stats in order to do so? If no, then why not? – Welcome (North America/ANZ), Ферундал (Europe [Russian])
A: Having more ways to customize the appearance of their character is something players often ask for and something we’d love to improve.

One area in which customization would be cool would be spell effects. For example, I find it odd that a level 1 warlock shadow bolt looks exactly as menacing as a level 85 affliction shadow bolt (I don't mean to design a dark kamehameha, just something slightly bigger or embellished with black sparks)! If spells and effects were to be subtly embellished with respect to level and spec, that would be really nice.

Q: Will the devs consider giving us reason to interact in the new world of cataclysm? We sit in cities waiting on queues. Theres little reason to leave the city gates outside of farming and archeology. The *main* cities feel alive, the world however feels quite dead. - Odiem (North America/ANZ)
A: While you’re leveling up your character and gathering professions, you’re more than likely interacting with the world plenty.

With the world, sure, but not necessarily other players. Due to the heightened rate at which characters level and the LFG queue, people don't even have the need to interact much while leveling. Frankly, I also miss group quests that actually required groups. Over the last two expansions, I've noticed many NPCs have lost their elite status and have become mere echoes of their former formidable selves.

Overall, I feel there's a noticeable deficit in inter-realm camaraderie. Even when I do happen upon players with whom I'd like to play again, chances are, I can't.

I understand that as the level cap raises, the need to compensate so people can catch up more quickly is a concern, so I'm honestly not displeased with most of the changes the developers have implemented; I'm just pining for some of the good things from "the old days."

Q: PvP realms are getting indistinctive from the PvE realm as players are not engaging into PvP contents, since they are not finding it attractive. The only difference from the PvE realm is that it’s possible to attack opponent around zones in Conflict. Is there any plan to strengthen the difference between PvP and PvE realms? – Soulcube (Korea)
A: We don’t think it’s that world PvP is unattractive, we just think it’s just the cumulative effect of a lot of changes we made to the game to meet other goals.

My heydays were in TBC. I have fond, yet painful, memories of questing in STV or Duskwood. I remember trying to defend Honor Hold or struggling to gain some ground on the Elemental Plateau.

My perspective is biased, and I simply don't PvP as often as back then, but I can't help but feel world PvP has lost much of its charm. When you arbitrarily segregate world PvP into self-contained areas, it loses the spontaneity and organic growth of natural world PvP conflicts that used to thrive in areas like STV. When I last quested in STV, it was practically devoid of other players. STV just isn't STV unless orcs with large shoulder pads and axes dance upon my camped corpse. There used to be so much life and activity there!

The lack of serious group quests and the incentive to do them also makes it less likely to encounter players of the opposing faction. It was also loads of fun to attempt to solo those group quests that were really difficult -- facing extremely difficult encounters like those are what taught me how to truly handle my class in desperate situations. I remember playing my hunter back in TBC; careful trapping was truly an art form!
Edited by Tehdarkness on 3/17/2011 8:24 PM PDT
100 Human Warlock
dudes...i think that rouges are getting a bit nerfed and worriors omg they need to get nerfed a bit to be honnnest i mean comeone i was dueling a 84 worrior like 4 days ago and that sucker hit a 40k crit on me wth thats not kewl...i still won tho :D
82 Worgen Hunter
Dear Devs: While I do thoroughly enjoy being a Worgen and am eternally grateful you guys fixed the female laugh bug, as well as the barber shop bug, I have only one complaint with the race as a whole. . . Where is our tail? I mean, on a male Worgen, the lack of tail isn't quite so bothersome as they're relatively hunched over, but on females the absence is blinding. We need a nice bushy tail like forest wolves have or something. I know there are some who disagree with this, but there are just as many if not more who agree with my complaint. It's just a simple little thing I know, and is generally trivial, but... I want my tail :( Please?
82 Worgen Hunter
03/17/2011 8:26 PMPosted by Warlocksedi
dudes...i think that rouges are getting a bit nerfed and worriors omg they need to get nerfed a bit to be honnnest i mean comeone i was dueling a 84 worrior like 4 days ago and that sucker hit a 40k crit on me wth thats not kewl...i still won tho :D

Apparently Blizzard needs to implement a spell check into their commenting system...
85 Human Paladin
dude are you broken irl druid stealth isnt even good enough to fool lower lvl npc's and rogues are amazing to ppl with even a smidge of skill and gear..... scratch that gear isnt needed
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]