Ask the Devs - Answers #1

85 Orc Rogue
Yo Bashiok.

Make Engineering a secondary Prof. <3

No.
85 Draenei Shaman
03/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
We have no problem spreading around buffs and utility that we consider more-or-less mandatory, such as the battle rezes and raid buffs. At the same time, we think there are enough unique abilities out there to make the various talent trees shine. Shaman have a great interrupt with Wind Shear. Warlocks can get out of danger with Demonic Portal. Discipline priests can mitigate a lot of damage with Power Word: Barrier, but Unholy death knights have their own version in Anti-Magic Zone

I just died a little on the inside....Wind Shear is our "go to", unique ability? I guess that's fine - players often cower in fear when I stop their cast for 2 seconds, but can you add a "swap" feature for shamans that lets us use another class's ability then since they already received every shaman ability in the last patch?
85 Human Mage
03/14/2011 10:36 AMPosted by Rhyllandaras
We have no problem spreading around buffs and utility that we consider more-or-less mandatory, such as the battle rezes and raid buffs. At the same time, we think there are enough unique abilities out there to make the various talent trees shine. Shaman have a great interrupt with Wind Shear. Warlocks can get out of danger with Demonic Portal. Discipline priests can mitigate a lot of damage with Power Word: Barrier, but Unholy death knights have their own version in Anti-Magic Zone

I just died a little on the inside....Wind Shear is our "go to", unique ability? I guess that's fine - players often cower in fear when I stop their cast for 2 seconds, but can you add a "swap" feature for shamans that lets us use another class's ability then since they already received every shaman ability in the last patch?

Your hero is mine!
85 Tauren Druid
Q: Healers cannot get Flask of Flowing Water from Guild Cauldron, which means Guild Cauldron is useless to healers. Can I expect any improvement for this? –꼬꼬마샷다 (Korea)
A: We couldn’t figure out an elegant way to determine if healers wanted the Spirit flask or the Intellect flask, so we erred on the side of throughput and gave them Intellect. Healers who would prefer Spirit can just get the normal flasks. We’ll think about another way to handle this. Spirit is obviously very popular among healers, but we don’t want to have a system that pops up a window asking you which flask you want.

Choose based off the food buff? If they're buffing spirit with their food, have the flask buff spirit. Otherwise, buff Int?
Why were so many questions answered regarding PvP and the next installment is only PvP questions? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm guessing it's because the questions and voting showed them the community has a lot of questions/concerns about pvp right now.
85 Troll Priest
Q: Could we see more dynamic events in WoW? For example something like sand storms in Uldum that would blind everyone affecting the agro of the mobs. – Dagoûu (Europe ([French])
A: We would like to ultimately have the world feel more dynamic and a bit less predictable. We would want for these events to feel epic though and not just annoying. We’re going to test the waters here a little in a future patch and see what feels good.

This one stood out to me. I am all for dynamic world events! Don't be afraid to "annoy" people, it's a world! It's supposed to feel vibrant and alive, and just like in real life, it should have perils and things that can really give you a bad day. Of course a few people would complain that their character was killed by something they weren't expecting, but who cares? You should feel like there's some risk out there. That keeps the game world from being sterile and static.
03/14/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Matuk
So... nothing about totems. That's two years now, without totems even being talked about...

Your complaints sound like if I were to rant about how druid shapeshifting hasn't been updated in 6 years. Totems are the fundamental defining factor of your class, and you signed up for them to be a huge part of your play experience when you rolled a shaman.
23 Human Warrior
No offense Bashiok (or any blue), but does today's question have to have a PvP topic, given the amount of PvP questions that were in the first answers?

Yes, any questions that aren't on PvP will be ignored/deleted. We'll be changing topics each time though, and hope to not make them so specific that you'll be waiting forever to get in a question.

I think the q&a's are a good way of communicating with the player base and hope to see a lot more q&a's in the future but why include pvp related questions in the first q&a then make your next q&a pvp-only?
Edited by Aiysis on 3/14/2011 10:42 AM PDT
90 Tauren Shaman
03/14/2011 10:33 AMPosted by Norkol
Stop being ungrateful. The devs are trying to get more in touch with the community. You're pretty much never going to see completely solid answers from them, or any company that would do something like this, ever. Why? Because the community will hold them to those words no matter what it was.

No, they're not trying to get more in touch with the community...

They're simply trying to appease the masses by at least appearing to try. There's a difference. Looking at the quality of the questions they chose to answer, and the answers they gave, they're doing nothing but trying to stall for time. Sure, they can't answer everything in complete detail and give away their unconfirmed plans just yet, but they haven't really told us anything with these questions that people didn't already know.

Unless you count "Yeah, we're talking about it," as something people didn't already know. That doesn't count, because it's nothing more than paranoia and the desire for instant gratification that cause people to believe they're not talking about it. What makes you even CONSIDER that they're not talking about it?
Haven't you noticed the pattern? Anytime somebody asks "Hey, is this being worked on?" the answer is either "Yeah, we're talking about it." or "We want to, but we just don't have the time right now."

They don't ever say no. I know people are expecting it, but it's not going to happen. They're going to say what they know will make people happy, or at least content.
85 Human Mage

Your hero is mine!

We should get your ice block but give it earthy graphics and call it petrify, or hey we can get your mirror images and call it Mirage then have that as a 31 point talent instead of crudquake.

Wouldn't bother me. Blizzard prob wouldn't do something like that though because it wouldn't benefit anyone in a raid.
90 Tauren Shaman
03/14/2011 10:41 AMPosted by Aiysis

Yes, any questions that aren't on PvP will be ignored/deleted. We'll be changing topics each time though, and hope to not make them so specific that you'll be waiting forever to get in a question.

I think the q&a's are a good way of communicating with the player base and hope to see a lot more q&a's in the future but why include pvp related questions in the first q&a then make your next q&a pvp-only?

....so this.

If you were planning for the next topic to be all about PvP, you should've answered more generic questions in the first one, and gone out of your way to avoid, for example, PvP Hunter issues.

Because you know Hunters will ask yet more questions, and they're going to get a lot of votes, JUST because there's a lot of Hunters out there.
85 Draenei Shaman
03/14/2011 10:38 AMPosted by Bogoran
Why were so many questions answered regarding PvP and the next installment is only PvP questions? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm guessing it's because the questions and voting showed them the community has a lot of questions/concerns about pvp right now.

I would agree with you if the question thread didn't fill up so quickly after being posted, and the topic being created at an odd time of the day.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
First, thank you Blizz for taking time to collect and answer the fan questions as listed above.

Many questions are very narrow and provide a sort of "who cares?" feeling for all but a narrow slice of the player population. Additionally, many responses are typical corporate "cards close to the chest" non-answers that are fairly standard for Blizzard.

However, I have gleaned a few very important game design philosophies that are important in the broad sense:

1.) Blizzard does understand that certain classes are gimp in arena pvp but they feel that in large group pvp they are more strong and therefore "balanced" around this trade-off. I've wondered about that and now I know.

Take home message: If a class is gimp in arenas don't expect a direct buff if they are compensated in other ways (i.e. BG's)

2.) Blizzard is aware that other than the questing experience, the world is "dead" outside of cities and has some plans to address this.

Take home message: Look forward to a limited trial of "dynamic" content (WoW's version of a "Rift").

I hope that you really put some effort and reward into this. If you just put in a half-hearted token effort don't expect a lot of use. A "Silithus Sand" type of improvement will not cut it. Furthermore, if you put out a crappy "world dynamic" experience and no one uses it, don't misinterpret that we don't want a more meaningful one. Don't let your lack of proper addressing the issue self-satisfy any pre-conceived notion that many of us are not hungry for more real-world play.

Also, "real world" experiences shouldn't be just for the soloist. Give us a reason to team up outside of the 4 walls of Org and Stormwind.

3.) Blizzard is looking at some common sense "user interface" and quality of life improvements like better bag organization and some not-set-in-stone improvement to voice chat.

Overall, the Q and A was good and if you continue it on a ?? weekly basis it's very satisfying. However, if this is a "once a quarter" q and a, it's fairly thin.
Edited by Valkýrie on 3/14/2011 10:44 AM PDT
90 Tauren Shaman
So... nothing about totems. That's two years now, without totems even being talked about...

Your complaints sound like if I were to rant about how druid shapeshifting hasn't been updated in 6 years. Totems are the fundamental defining factor of your class, and you signed up for them to be a huge part of your play experience when you rolled a shaman.

Except the game has evolved to a point where totems are absolutely worthless. I can go through an entire 10-man raid without EVER dropping one totem beyond Searing Totem, because all the others are handled by other classes.

I don't know about you, but a class-defining core mechanic needs to actually define how I play my class.

I mean, I have a level 85 druid. Everything I do is affected by my shapeshifting.

The only thing drastically affected by my totems is Searing Flames. The only thing. Every other part of totems can be ignored.
Resto at least gets plenty of neat totem toys, but buff totems are still absolutely worthless and NEED to be updated.

The game's buffing system has evolved through buff homogenization TWICE and totems are still stuck back in the vanilla model.
Edited by Matuk on 3/14/2011 10:49 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]