Ask the Devs - Answers #1

90 Human Death Knight
It looks like my question was inadvertently answered.

Did rated battlegrounds turn out as intended?

Nope.

Why not?

Not popular with the players.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Q: Is the Holy Paladin mastery going to remain as is, or will it see a change in the future? – Judgesyou (North America/ANZ)
A: We like the mechanic. Having a shield complements their potent single-target heals rather than competing against them. As you have probably seen by now, we did increase the duration of the absorb so that it would come into play more often. We believe the Holy mastery, as is the case with some of the other healing masteries, is not an easy thing to simulate or sometimes even determine from logs. It’s hard to put numbers on it in the same way you can assign values to haste and crit. We believe this had led some players to undervalue it. We’ll see how it feels with the longer duration.

While I appreciate having my question answered, I just really don't feel it was answered well.

How is Illuminated Healing supposed to boost my single target healing (something Holy Paladins don't really need help on) when the three main single target heals overwrite constantly?

If the boss is swinging at 2.4 seconds, how can it boost my single target healing when my longest cast is 1.9 or so seconds NOW in heroic gear, and I can only get maybe 30% of the shields to actually absorb.

0.0 Boss swings.
0.1 Holy Light lands- shield added
2.0 Holy Light lands- shield added/overwritten
2.4 Boss swings- shield procs

Now this isn't the most elegant way of showing it, but this is frequently how the proc plays out.
80 Human Paladin
Question: Are there any plans to improve solo play for PvPers so that they can also get high-end epics, including two-handed weapons- without the need for the type of group play we see with Rated Battlegrounds?
Edited by Fath on 3/14/2011 10:48 AM PDT
1.) Blizzard does understand that certain classes are gimp in arena pvp, they feel that in large group pvp they are more strong and therefore "balanced" around this trade-off. I've wondered about that and now I know.

Take home message: If a class is gimp in arenas don't expect a direct buff if they are compensated in other ways (i.e. BG's)

I think an even bigger factor is that when a class is underperforming in arenas but is strong in BGs, it is difficult/impossible to buff them for arenas without making them overpowered in BGs. It's not so much that hunters are weak in arenas but it's "fair" because they are strong elsewhere, but rather the devs' hands are tied when it comes to buffing them for arenas because they are strong elsewhere.
65 Blood Elf Warlock
YES!

Appearance tab please.
03/14/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Matuk

Your complaints sound like if I were to rant about how druid shapeshifting hasn't been updated in 6 years. Totems are the fundamental defining factor of your class, and you signed up for them to be a huge part of your play experience when you rolled a shaman.

Except the game has evolved to a point where totems are absolutely worthless. I can go through an entire 10-man raid without EVER dropping one totem beyond Searing Totem, because all the others are handled by other classes.

I don't know about you, but a class-defining core mechanic needs to actually define how I play my class.

I mean, I have a level 85 druid. Everything I do is affected by my shapeshifting.

The only thing drastically affected by my totems is Searing Flames. The only thing. Every other part of totems can be ignored.
Resto at least gets plenty of neat totem toys, but buff totems are still absolutely worthless and NEED to be updated.

The game's buffing system has evolved through buff homogenization TWICE and totems are still stuck back in the vanilla model.

I'm confused then. Your post I partially quoted went on to complain about the annoyance of having to haul them around and constantly drop them on the ground. Now you're complaining that you don't need to drop them at all.
85 Draenei Shaman
Will we ever get some new Hairstyles and colors for our characters?
Edited by Celticmoon on 3/14/2011 10:55 AM PDT
90 Orc Shaman
I must say if we are going to get more Ask the Devs like this and less communication in the forums overall, I am highly disppointed at the questions answered.

Is it just me or have half these topics already been discussed at Blizzcon or in some previous Cata preview Q&A? Feels like this is the third or fourth time I am reading the same old responses regarding updating old races, updating Outlands, increased inventory, hero classes, appearance tabs etc... Anyone else feeling deja vu reading these questions and answers?

I think this whole idea of doing Q&As more frequently is great, but not if you are just going to answer the same questions you've been answering for the last 6 months.
85 Draenei Shaman
Posted by Bogoran
So... nothing about totems. That's two years now, without totems even being talked about...

Your complaints sound like if I were to rant about how druid shapeshifting hasn't been updated in 6 years. Totems are the fundamental defining factor of your class, and you signed up for them to be a huge part of your play experience when you rolled a shaman.

Except the game has evolved to a point where totems are absolutely worthless. I can go through an entire 10-man raid without EVER dropping one totem beyond Searing Totem, because all the others are handled by other classes.

I don't know about you, but a class-defining core mechanic needs to actually define how I play my class.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're looking at totems wrong. Judging from history, the answer is to allow all other classes access to totems, and then remove them from all applicable scenarios so that no one complains about totems anymore. We're already halfway there so total removal should be just around the corner...
85 Draenei Shaman
03/14/2011 9:53 AMPosted by Degrim
Healer flasks? Node phasing? These are the burning questions that people were dying to have answered?
Yes they are. Can't help that you don't play a healer, herber, or miner. Node phasing has caused me and my guildmates more headaches these past months than any other bug/imbalance in game. Node phasing is a huge problem because gatherers are essentially being punished for doing quests and playing the game.
85 Worgen Druid
03/14/2011 9:36 AMPosted by Alimony
We are pretty happy with PvP balance overall. We think this season may be the best overall in terms of balance.

This is actually the worst season in terms of balance.

Completely agreed. That YOU, the DEVS, like it doesn't mean WE, the PLAYERS, do. :P
100 Tauren Shaman

I mean, I have a level 85 druid. Everything I do is affected by my shapeshifting.

The only thing drastically affected by my totems is Searing Flames. The only thing. Every other part of totems can be ignored.
Resto at least gets plenty of neat totem toys, but buff totems are still absolutely worthless and NEED to be updated.

The game's buffing system has evolved through buff homogenization TWICE and totems are still stuck back in the vanilla model.

I'm confused then. Your post I partially quoted went on to complain about the annoyance of having to haul them around and constantly drop them on the ground. Now you're complaining that you don't need to drop them at all.

Well that's the whole point. There isn't a single part of totems that really make any damn sense in the game, with how it has evolved over the years.

For starters, we rarely, if ever, get a benefit from dropping them.

Then, when we CAN benefit, and thus DO drop them... they're a major pain in the ass to actually manage and maintain, due to their stick-in-the-mud status and limited range.

Meanwhile, there's that Hunter running around with Hunting Party, not even thinking about it. Yeah, my core mechanic is so meaningful that a HUNTER can bring it as a 100 yard aura. Thanks Blizzard.

I don't see ANY class spending a talent point to make shapeshifting obsolete. Do you?

Most people don't seem to realize how frustrating totems can be to use. Druids pick a druid because shapeshifting is fun, and as far as I can tell, there isn't a single player out there that actually hates the mechanic.

The number one reason players STOP playing a Shaman and go to play another class is totems. Plain and simple. Totems are the LEAST fun aspect of being a Shaman, and most players will agree.

Don't get me wrong - I like the idea behind totems. But the way Blizzard has implemented them is absolutely horrible and doesn't fit in with the Cataclysm model of raiding OR the Cataclysm model of PvP.

Totems should be situationally useful things like Searing, Grounding, Tremor, Mana Tide... fun toys like that. Totems that give buffs no longer have a place.

The biggest place this is actually a problem is in PvP, rather than raiding, because in PvP, I don't even get the chance to drop my buff totems.

Do you see DKs losing Horn of Winter every time they apply Desecration? What about when they pop Army of the Dead? Oh wait, do they lose it for AMS? Or maybe when they use Icebound Fortitude to break out of a stun?

No, the answer to this is not "reroll DK" because I can make comparisons like that with numerous other classes and specs. Shaman totems need to be updated, because the whole thing is obsolete.
Edited by Matuk on 3/14/2011 11:00 AM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
1.) Blizzard does understand that certain classes are gimp in arena pvp, they feel that in large group pvp they are more strong and therefore "balanced" around this trade-off. I've wondered about that and now I know.

Take home message: If a class is gimp in arenas don't expect a direct buff if they are compensated in other ways (i.e. BG's)

I think an even bigger factor is that when a class is underperforming in arenas but is strong in BGs, it is difficult/impossible to buff them for arenas without making them overpowered in BGs. It's not so much that hunters are weak in arenas but it's "fair" because they are strong elsewhere, but rather the devs' hands are tied when it comes to buffing them for arenas because they are strong elsewhere.

Yeah, I'd buy that. I don't disagree with their approach either. I'm ok with it. I'm just satisfied knowing this is how they see it.

I relieves me of the sense that certain classes are hanging out in the winds waiting for a buff that will never come.

I only wish Blizzard had been more explicit about this sooner. I'd also like a breakdown of what they feel is their target goals for each class. It's frustrating for people to bang their heads against a wall and swim upstream against a game philosophy Blizzard fails to share with them.
90 Human Death Knight
I must say if we are going to get more Ask the Devs like this and less communication in the forums overall, I am highly disppointed at the questions answered.

Is it just me or have half these topics already been discussed at Blizzcon or in some previous Cata preview Q&A? Feels like this is the third or fourth time I am reading the same old responses regarding updating old races, updating Outlands, increased inventory, hero classes, appearance tabs etc... Anyone else feeling deja vu reading these questions and answers?

I think this whole idea of doing Q&As more frequently is great, but not if you are just going to answer the same questions you've been answering for the last 6 months.

The problem is, the players vote which questions they like. And if you keep in mind they do not answer questions about content this is what the players care about the most. The popular questions get answers and these are them. It is what it is. : /
85 Troll Shaman
03/14/2011 10:47 AMPosted by Fath
Question: Are there any plans to improve solo play for PvPers so that they can also get high-end epics, including two-handed weapons- without the need for the type of group play we see with Rated Battlegrounds?

They don't balance PvP around 1v1. You have to play in a group. If you're going to play in a group, it has to be a coordinated group, or else you'll get owned by coordinated groups.

So no, you can't get high end PvP gear by soloing.
80 Human Paladin
They don't balance PvP around 1v1. You have to play in a group. If you're going to play in a group, it has to be a coordinated group, or else you'll get owned by coordinated groups.

So no, you can't get high end PvP gear by soloing.

I wonder if they will figure out that it is forced group play that is killing this game?

It's glaringly obvious to us old schoolers.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]