Ask the Devs - Answers #1

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Q: Is the Holy Paladin mastery going to remain as is, or will it see a change in the future? – Judgesyou (North America/ANZ)
A: We like the mechanic. Having a shield complements their potent single-target heals rather than competing against them. As you have probably seen by now, we did increase the duration of the absorb so that it would come into play more often. We believe the Holy mastery, as is the case with some of the other healing masteries, is not an easy thing to simulate or sometimes even determine from logs. It’s hard to put numbers on it in the same way you can assign values to haste and crit. We believe this had led some players to undervalue it. We’ll see how it feels with the longer duration.

While I appreciate having my question answered, I just really don't feel it was answered well.

How is Illuminated Healing supposed to boost my single target healing (something Holy Paladins don't really need help on) when the three main single target heals overwrite constantly?

If the boss is swinging at 2.4 seconds, how can it boost my single target healing when my longest cast is 1.9 or so seconds NOW in heroic gear, and I can only get maybe 30% of the shields to actually absorb.

0.0 Boss swings.
0.1 Holy Light lands- shield added
2.0 Holy Light lands- shield added/overwritten
2.4 Boss swings- shield procs

Now this isn't the most elegant way of showing it, but this is frequently how the proc plays out.

As a holy paladin in raids and BG's I've always thought about this. How good is a mastery if you just step all over it with your next heal? Lot's of times you just don't get its full benefit. That's kind of lacksadaisical game design imo.

90 Human Warrior
For now, it's entirely possible for the devs to cherry pick questions to answer and say it got the most votes because we cannot see the results.

Healer flasks? Node phasing? These are the burning questions that people were dying to have answered? I'm slightly dubious.

And this is entirely fair. If I were at Blizzard, I know *I* wouldn't want to be the one to accidentally reveal an upcoming feature before it's intended or, like Bashiok said, anything on future games.

Anyway, good information here.
85 Night Elf Priest
Q: Daily Battlegrounds only reward 25 conquest points, which is really low (considering the fact that daily heroic dungeon rewards 70 valor points). Would you consider to adjust that, as Battlegrounds attracts PvP beginner more than Arena does. –賽君 (Taiwan)
A: I think it’s fair to say that Rated Battlegrounds aren’t yet offering rewards commensurate with the logistical and time commitments that they ask. We really wanted Rated Battlegrounds to be attractive to players who loved PvP but weren’t huge fans of Arenas. We don’t think we’re quite there yet and Arenas continue to be very popular just because they take fewer players and can be completed quickly. If you love Arenas, great. But we want there to be alternatives.

The question wasn't even answered.
Basically you want us to do rated BGs which are not really fun in my opinion. Arenas are too much about class combination rather that skill so I don't like those earthier. So basically those of us that don't like the current model of PvP conquest acquisition are screwed out of the better gear.
90 Human Rogue
Voice chat, environmental effects, phasing nodes bug, appearance tab, and updated players models. Yummy!

I think I like this new Q and A thingy.

Devs hear what we are concerned with most as a community above the noise of class/role, and we get answers.

Win/Win.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Q: Mastery rating has become the most important attribute for Death Knight tanks, yet there isn’t any Rune Forge for mastery. Will you consider adding a new Rune Forge for Death Knight tanks? - Highlordkahn (Taiwan)
A: We want to do another pass at the Rune Forge enchants. We think we can make some more compelling choices.

Considering Mastery rating is good for warrior and pally tanks, too, and DKs can get mastery from armor, gems, certain enchants and reforging, just the same as them, I hardly see the need for a weapon enchant that grants mastery when no weapon enchant with mastery is available to any other tank class.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
About archeology why didn't you make it so the items you uncover that just do little effects are usable from the archeology window (the one that lists all the items you found already) instead of giving us yet another item we have to try and find a space for in our bag/bank. Kinda like an archeology spell book.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I loved blizzcon during TBC. The nice fellow up on stage answered class balance questions frankly. The next blizzcon was right before wrath came out and they stopped doing that, opting instead for the kind of vague answers that are typical of today.
90 Human Death Knight
03/14/2011 11:03 AMPosted by Nicthalon
Considering Mastery rating is good for warrior and pally tanks, too, and DKs can get mastery from armor, gems, certain enchants and reforging, just the same as them, I hardly see the need for a weapon enchant that grants mastery when no weapon enchant with mastery is available to any other tank class.

Rune forging is overpowered and will continue to be apparently.
18 Blood Elf Warlock
03/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
We recognize that Rated Battlegrounds haven’t yet caught on with players, especially more casual PvP players, as much as we’d like.

That's probably because the rated BGs weren't anything like what the people were expecting.

On top of that, the community once again was overlooked, and the 2k, 2.2k, etc arena exp requirement to get into a lot of rated bg groups is kind of pushing players away from it.

When we were given the impression that personal contribution was going to affect your bg rating, that's when everyone was looking at it as a possible success. In reality, it became a hybrid of arena and bg, leaving people competing to get into groups being formed to only take what they see as the best, because a loss gets them absolutely nowhere.

For stuff like this to appeal to the people Blizzard wants it to, there needs to be an easy way around the "best only" group that for the last 6 years, we as a community, proved is the ONLY way most of us want to do a group.

As a result of that, arena is still coming up as the preferred pvp endgame because of the fact that the worst person at pvp in the game can find 1 other person equally as bad and get to play some games. Finding one person that doesn't demand perfection is a lot easier than finding 9.

IMO, the rated BG idea needs to be completely started over. And for once, acknowledge the fact that this community refuses to play with anyone that they feel isn't as good as them. The want the easiest path possible to their outcome.

Just like guilds doing heroic raids limit their spots to who they feel performs up to their level, your more successful BG teams have that same requirement, and because of how much easier it is for some random guy to make an arena team, most of those people are doing that, staying away from the headache of finding a group for BGs that will actually work out and stick together.
90 Worgen Hunter
Thank you.
81 Draenei Hunter
Q: Considering how often changes meant to balance PVE performance for certain classes then creates imbalance in their performance in PVP, and vice verse, have the developers ever considered completely separating the two? – Azunya (North America/ANZ)
A: That’s a common solution proposed by our active forum participants for whom balance may be the single most important concern when they play. You have to put yourself in the mind of a new player just trying to pick up the game though. Already there are a bewildering array of class abilities and talents, many with their own idiosyncrasies or special rules. Now you have to virtually double that if you want all of the player spells to have a PvE and a PvP tooltip. We prefer solutions like resilience and diminishing returns on crowd control that are more global rules rather than virtually every ability having a PvE vs. a PvP coefficient. We want it to feel like one game with a unified set of rules.
Are the Blizzard devs seriously so incapable of outside-the-box thinking? What would be wrong with an option in the settings for your default tooltip choice (PVE or PVP) and a "Hold Shift to see the PVE/PVP tooltip for this ability" functionality? I mean damn, things like Dr. Damage do it.
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Q: Are there any plans to bring new items to Archaeology with each future patch? - Idej (North America/ANZ)
A: We may not make it every patch, but we designed Archaeology specifically with this kind of expandability in mind. Our most immediate plans are to add rare items to the Vrykul and especially Troll races, since they have so few, and add more to Fossils in general since you end up with so many Fossil sites. We also have some plans to make it slightly easier to focus on races upon which you want to focus.

I'd like to know what the dev's intention was with the epic low-level archeology gear (level 60/70/80). It seems like these would be much more interesting and worthwhile if they were heirlooms instead of epics.

Also, while I'm suggesting archeology improvements, I'd like to add that I think there should be a high-level type site for Eastern Kingdoms (like Tol'vir is for Kalimdor). At the moment, unless you're going for Troll or Dwarf artifacts, there's not much reason to go to EK.

I'd love to see the addition of a "Mystery" dig site that pops up with a really rare chance, but has a guaranteed reward (without the gray items). That way, you're always working on SOME reward, even if it is only 1 out of every 50 sites that you see.
90 Tauren Shaman
03/14/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Sael
We recognize that Rated Battlegrounds haven’t yet caught on with players, especially more casual PvP players, as much as we’d like.

That's probably because the rated BGs weren't anything like what the people were expecting.

On top of that, the community once again was overlooked, and the 2k, 2.2k, etc arena exp requirement to get into a lot of rated bg groups is kind of pushing players away from it.

When we were given the impression that personal contribution was going to affect your bg rating, that's when everyone was looking at it as a possible success. In reality, it became a hybrid of arena and bg, leaving people competing to get into groups being formed to only take what they see as the best, because a loss gets them absolutely nowhere.

For stuff like this to appeal to the people Blizzard wants it to, there needs to be an easy way around the "best only" group that for the last 6 years, we as a community, proved is the ONLY way most of us want to do a group.

As a result of that, arena is still coming up as the preferred pvp endgame because of the fact that the worst person at pvp in the game can find 1 other person equally as bad and get to play some games. Finding one person that doesn't demand perfection is a lot easier than finding 9.

IMO, the rated BG idea needs to be completely started over. And for once, acknowledge the fact that this community refuses to play with anyone that they feel isn't as good as them. The want the easiest path possible to their outcome.

Just like guilds doing heroic raids limit their spots to who they feel performs up to their level, your more successful BG teams have that same requirement, and because of how much easier it is for some random guy to make an arena team, most of those people are doing that, staying away from the headache of finding a group for BGs that will actually work out and stick together.

When I first heard of rated BGs, I thought I would be able to solo queue for them. And that's the big thing keeping me away from it.

I don't want to have to go into trade, the way I used to have to do for 5-mans with the LFG channel, and start spamming around for a rated BG group. I'm in a raiding guild, so most of the people aren't interested in PvP, or else they're absolutely terrible at it, or else they're simply unreliable to get in touch with. Which means my only option is to go to Trade and ask for one that's forming.

The fact that everybody is asking for high ratings makes it even harder, since I haven't even STARTED, but I don't want to have to do that to begin with.
85 Dwarf Shaman
There is too many answers that are off topic from their questions. Some are outright distractions.
81 Human Paladin
Its obvious they just picked the easiest questions to answer and spun the rest.

Awful.

Excuse me? We answered the majority of the questions which had the most votes by the forum community. If you don't like the questions answered then you should ask your own, and/or vote on those you'd like to see answered.

At best what they did was turn the Q/A into a WoW community notifies the Developers forum. If you get enough votes, they might notify everyone that they hear your issue. Almost no direct answers, almost no clear developer insight.

The answers sound like something from a politician.

Q1. We’re just looking for the right time to dive into that enormous task

Q2. That is definitely something we want to fix.

Q3. we’d like to come up with a good solution there.

Q4. We think we can make some more compelling choices.

Q5. Personal question. One of the few direct answers.

Q6. A: Having more ways to customize the appearance of their character is something players often ask for and something we’d love to improve. We do have some ideas we’re discussing, but we’re not ready to share them quite yet.

How many years since this was asked for? We got this same answer back then too.

Q7. "Our most immediate plans are to add rare items to the Vrykul and especially Troll races, since they have so few, and add more to Fossils in general since you end up with so many Fossil sites. We also have some plans to make it slightly easier to focus on races upon which you want to focus."

Yay! Well done!

Q8. We do think there is more that we can do to promote compelling solo gameplay for max level characters

Q9. "We’ll think about ways to do something like that again in the future."

I can keep going but whats the point?

I appreciate the effort, honestly. From a forum and company that preaches "constructive criticism" so often, how about doing us a favor and answering you customers constructively and directly when they get an chance to ask you a question?
Edited by Gigglés on 3/14/2011 11:20 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]