possible to make special characters w laptop?

100 Troll Warrior
hey everyone, i have a very specific name i want to use for a character but unfortunately it was taken... i would like to just insert a special character so i can use it but i dont know if i can, with just 1-9 numbers and no num-lock button on my laptop. any help or alternatives?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Nope
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
i tried before and no ctrl c + ctrl v didnt work in naming.. and im not familiar with character map bubba, whats that?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
If you have Windows 7, hit the Windows button, click the search bar, type "Character Map".

If you don't have Windows 7, it *might* be under Accessories, but I've not used any other OS for some time now.

You can download a Character map from cnet.com, just Google Character Map Download.
Edited by Koralyn on 3/14/2011 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Stop trying to use a cloned name of someone else's character?
Think of a more original name?
¢ = cent, not "c"
£ = pound, not "L"
¥ = yen, not "Y"
Ñ = en-yay, not "N"
º = degree, not "o"
ß = beta or Ss (sharp s), not "B"

and so on...

Most of those are unusable in names, as they're symbols and not alternate letters.

Nice try, though.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Stop trying to use a cloned name of someone else's character?
Think of a more original name?
¢ = cent, not "c"
£ = pound, not "L"
¥ = yen, not "Y"
Ñ = en-yay, not "N"
º = degree, not "o"
ß = beta or Ss (sharp s), not "B"

and so on...

Of the symbols you listed, only ß is usable in names. Å, Ç, Ð, Ø, æ, ë, é, î, ï, Ö, among others, will work, however.

On second thought, Ñ might work. But I'm fairly certain it didn't last time I tried.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I thought the symbols were against the naming rules.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/14/2011 12:47 PMPosted by Rohkalan
hey everyone, i have a very specific name i want to use for a character but unfortunately it was taken... i would like to just insert a special character so i can use it but i dont know if i can, with just 1-9 numbers and no num-lock button on my laptop. any help or alternatives?

Are you sure you don't have a way of turning some of your letter keys into a number pad? My laptop does.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
"I thought the symbols were against the naming rules."

Below is the list of naming violations. I couldn't find anything about special characters.

* Racial/Ethnic/National
* Extreme Sexuality/Violence
* Sexual Orientation
* Obscene/Vulgar
* Harassing or Defamatory
* Blizzard Employees
* Inappropriate
* Advertising
* Trademarks
* Pure Gibberish
* Contain "Leet" or "Dudespeak"
* Titles (Does not apply to Guild, Arena Team or Pet Names)
* Real World References
* Partial or Complete Sentences (Does not apply to Guild or Arena Team Names)
Edited by Kélvin on 3/14/2011 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Character map in Windows. Or alt codes: hold alt and type in the number code corresponding to a symbol you want to place. For example: alt 0251 = û
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I think the problem he's running into is that in order to use the alt+number sequence, you have to use the 10 key pad. I've never had a laptop that didn't have a function key of some type that changed a section of the keyboard into a number pad though.

You're positive there are no letters that have a tiny number on the key as well? For instance, 1 2 3 is J K L on my laptop, but I have to hold the function key down to use them.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
For certain laptops, if you look on the keyboard you'll see a number pad, and the numbers being a different color.

In most cases, pressing and holding 'Fn' key activates this in congruence with ALT.

So, your keystroke would look like: Fn + Alt + 130 = é
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
03/14/2011 1:11 PMPosted by Kezmaefele
I thought the symbols were against the naming rules.

Used to be, now its okay.

They dont delete old characters, older servers are full of dead names no one can claim. This was a solution (though it drives me nuts).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]