High Security Risk

85 Human Death Knight
It won't let me do anything with the 'Antivirus' section.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
It wont let you toggle anything in that section off? I dont know, "antivirus" cant be toggled but SONAR protection right under it should be able to be disabled.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Mage
It's working for me now after disabling...

Thanks Dante
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
It won't let me do anything.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Okay, well im not sure. After a little bit of swimming around in the norton settings i found something that might help. Open norton back up, click "Settings" and scroll down to "items to exclude from auto detect and SONAR protection" hit that, click the file folder on the right and put everything from WoW in your program files in that. Then try to download the patch, if that doesnt work then i have no idea.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
But aside from being able to run WoW, are we positive this is not a real AV threat?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Sure would be nice to see a comment from Blizz about why our 4.0.6 client is downloading a 4.0.1 installer. Bypassing security to accomodate a blizz error seems really lame.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Having the same issue. hate Norton!!!!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
yes, would be nice to see blizz jump in here somewhere to confirm that this is actually their file....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm having the same problem but I have Norton Security Suite and there seems to be no way to turn off sonar, only firewall, and that doesn't work >_<

EDIT: nvm, i found the way. lol. thanks, man!
Edited by Killakushh on 3/15/2011 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
We did released an update to the game launcher this morning. Anytime there are automatic updates you can run into security programs having problems with it.

In this situation, all of the reports have come back as false positives. I am recommending the steps found here to allow the patch.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228426165

How's my driving? https://www.surveymk.com/s/R5D3LCF
Reply Quote
1 Orc Hunter
On Norton, the simple method is to click on the security history....then highlight the removed wow exe file....then click on options (in blue to the right) and tell them to restore and allow future versions of the file.

IF you trust Blizzard, but you probably wouldn't be playing if you did not.

PS I would NOT disable Sonar....Blizzard is not the only party trying to get through during the download
Edited by Lazyriver on 3/15/2011 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I just finished chatting with a Norton representative.
They are aware of the problem, and will be updating settings shortly to correct it.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warlock
bump
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
In response to Dante's recommendation about turning off Sonar Detection in Norton, I'd follow his wisdom and yes it works and all is fine, TYVM Dante!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]