Botting..To Accept it or Report it?

85 Blood Elf Hunter
I've spoken to two separate in-game GMS, have had conversations with them, explaining that my ''Previous'' Guild Master has stated multiple times that he has been botting, ''note-clipping'' and using other variations of exploiting the game, I've provided what type of BoT they are using, which the BoT in questions have responses and default actions that it does when a GM speaks to them in game. Its been 2-3 weeks and that person is still bragging to anyone and everyone about their botting, how much gold they are making from it. Not trying to down the GMs because to be honest lately their response time has really improved considering it took me over a week to get in contact with someone phone/email/thread/report when I got hacked afew months ago, but lately its within 24-32 hours. I'm just not sure wether its really, honestly worth reporting players anymore, and yes I understand I won't know if/when something has been done to them, but I should be able to tell if anything has been done about it...Advice? Suggestions?

P.S...Thank you For the built in spell check.. <3
85 Dwarf Paladin
You should always report a player if you see them Botting. I know it seems like nothing happens, but Blizzard really does come around to it.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Yep! As do I..but its abit taunting when the person you know specifically reminds you every day they got away with it again! The World Explorer Title (that I worked for >.> Blizzard you owe me like a pack of smokes and abunch of sodas) That Cauldron of Battle for the raids, he botted for that to..I mean its just lol..Discouraging.
91 Human Warlock
03/18/2011 2:47 AMPosted by Çyañide
Yep! As do I..but its abit taunting when the person you know specifically reminds you every day they got away with it again! The World Explorer Title (that I worked for >.> Blizzard you owe me like a pack of smokes and abunch of sodas) That Cauldron of Battle for the raids, he botted for that to..I mean its just lol..Discouraging.

They won't get away with it forever, and bots are usually perma-banned. Since the penalty is so severe, the investigations into botting tend to be very long, so don't be discouraged! Been here almost since WoW went live, and stuff like gold spam and bots happen, Blizzard finds ways to break them, then the little cheaters find new ways to evade Blizzard. Its a never ending battle, but one that ebbs and flows like the tides.
90 Orc Shaman
Right now the state of the forums shows that reporting bots DOES work if they are actually botting. There are a ton of threads right now from botters complaining that they got permabanned, some of them have some creative "excuses".
85 Troll Shaman
Sorry to sound like such a noob I'm well aware of what botting is but I am unfamiliar with "note-clipping" could anyone provide a quick explanation? Thanks in advance! Also, I report all bots I see in my on-going ticket haha.
I usually find more than one at a time so I open a ticket and write a little message explaining what's going on provide the assumed offenders' names and add more names as necessary.
100 Blood Elf Priest
Node-clipping is where players assume someone is getting a node after they have started to farm it. This is a bit misleading since the first person to tap it is the one who gets the mats from it and the person claiming that it happens is usually experiencing some form of lag that they do not see the other person already there first.
100 Night Elf Warrior
report it
Support Forum Agent
The bottom line here, Çyañide, is to continue reporting each bot you come in contact with, whether it be your Guild Master or otherwise. I know it is frustrating and downright discouraging to see others achieve something so easily that it took you time and energy (as well as smokes and sodas) to fulfill. But at least you can be proud in saying that you actually did it on your own without a program to do the work for you.

Since you seem as though you have quite a bit of information concerning this particular bot you may wish to email that information to our Hacks team, or you may also submit the details via their webform.

Now, this isn't to report players in game at all -- continue to report them in game. The above information is just concerning the bot itself, how it operates, etc.

When you do report players in game I always advise players to include the following:

• Character name:
  • Realm:
  • Battleground:(if applicable)
  • Approximate time the activity occurred:
  • What you observed:

Not only does this information help our investigators, but it can also determine a possible pattern. For example, the same player is being reported at 4pm PST every day, in the same area, doing the same action.

So, yes, please continue to report them. I know you feel as though it is not making a difference but it truly does.
85 Night Elf Rogue
log in to play wow but have to spend time being a hall monitor? ok fine. wheres my authority to take action? oh. i can tell on people but i cant walk them to the principals office. i see.

im more of a taddletale then a hall monitor.

You're exactly right. And that's exactly how it should remain.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
Actually, you're not being asked to be a hall monitor. You're being asked to be a citizen - a member of your realm's community. Ever see those [Neighborhood Watch] signs? That's what it is - being aware of what is normal and acceptable and reporting that which is not for the authorities to investigate and act.
I reported one about 2 months ago. Told them what relm he was on and how he was doing it with a mac. He is still playing today. I'm just hoping one day he will be banned.
85 Dwarf Hunter
03/18/2011 4:43 PMPosted by Nawnie
I reported one about 2 months ago. Told them what relm he was on and how he was doing it with a mac. He is still playing today. I'm just hoping one day he will be banned.

That's nothing.. I reported this notorius /follow BG botter about 30 times in the last 2 years and they still BG bot to this very day lol..

He (along with about 4 others) used to be in a guild I was in and they shared the bot openly on the forums and laugh about how they never got any action against them.. I hate it =/
1 Draenei Shaman
I can't stand any type of cheating. Less than a week ago I reported someone while mining for using a speed bot or whatever. It was really strange...a naked horde, no armor on at all, and he was zipping around like crazy while mining.

The ironic thing, even after a strong history of reporting game-breaking bugs to GMs, and reporting this speed bot person, my account is hacked and banned for supposedly using this very type of program.

I trust Blizzard enough to fix the problem. In fact, I am glad that they closed the account, as the virus scan I ran before doing the recovery form led me to discover a TON of viruses. Who knows how long they could have been there before I discovered them had the account not been banned. The only annoying part now is the wait for an email response, which says it could take days.

To respond to the original question: REPORT THEM! Think of it this way. I was mining for a few hours legitimately. I really don't know much about speed bots but this person must be able to mine much faster than I am at the speed he was moving around. If I hadn't seen him mining a node and then almost disappearing, I probably wouldn't have even seen him at all. Because he is able to speed bot, he can physically mine all the nodes a lot quicker than I can. I could have even seen the mining node before he did, but because of his speed bot, he noticed it first and then went over to mine it before I could even get close.

How many players are doing this? If there are tons of players using speed bots like I have read about to gain advantages in stuff like mining or herbing, then that completely destroys the in-game economy. My ore and herbs that I mine would sell for much more if the auction house wasn't saturated by items that people used while zipping around the game world with a cheat program bot and screwing legit players over.

If Blizzard receives multiple complaints about the same person, I'm sure they will take action. That's why I suggest you ALWAYS report speed bots that you see so that you can play as the game was intended to be played! If you have an open ticket already for someone else, then edit it and include other speed bot players names!
This topic has expired. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]