I need help with a guild in trouble.

A lot of you don't know me or my guild. Anyways, my name is Amy, and I am the guild master for Thralls Guardians. Ever since cata we have lost some 300 members, the creator of the guild was one of them. They all left because we wont progress as fast as other guilds like Dawn of Valor for example. Since cata myself and about seven others have been trying to get our guild going again.

If most of the horde focuses on progression, I'm afraid our guild wont be around anymore. We are a guild that just likes to chat and hang out. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't mind a being in a guild like ours. We are only level five and that turns people away. There is about 125 of us left, most have been inactive for awhile. I had trouble removing people, because people wouldn't play their characters for awhile. When they do they get mad at me for removing them.

People call us a "fail" guild because we don't really focus on progression. We just like to chat and have a good time. I'm running out of options. I love our guild and don't want to see it go away. I could really use some advice that would help us. Recruiting has failed, I asked for advice in trade chat once. Ever since then I removed trade chat from my chat channels. I just couldn't take all the degrading things people said.

I'm hoping for a different outcome from the forums, I just want some helpful advice.
Edited by Evelice on 5/24/2011 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Go by the Wussy Patrol example and just mass recruit anyone and everyone in the trade chat. However, any guild that isn't level 19 really doesn't offer much for players. Best of luck
Reply Quote
I tried that for a couple months, and got a whole three new members.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
In all honesty you're probably not going to have a lot of luck. If people want to just hang out and chat, they'll use twitter, facebook, or any other service that is able to provide that for them.

You're playing a game that has quests, achievements, and raid bosses to kill. All of these appeal to goal oriented people, and that is the most common type of person that plays this game. Since your guild does not seem to focus on any of those, you're not an appealing guild option to the majority of people that play this game.

Hate to break it to you, but in all honesty, its unlikely you'll find your guild having large numbers again.
Edited by Mîk on 3/11/2011 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Im not we wont raid or work on achievements, its just we cant really do any of that right now. So the few of us left just hang out and do bgs and dungeons from time to time. We are just stuck right now, nobody wants to join us. I'm not that worried about big numbers. I would just like to get more people. I think most people don't want to join because our guild is only level five, so we cant provide as many benefits as other guilds.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I can imagine you're struggling because you seem to be uncertain of who you are as a guild and what you want to be.

Mik has some valid points concerning the general population, people want their leaders to tell them where they are going, how they are going to get there, and most of all to lead by example.

Say this is who we are and what we are about...and mean it, or people will bolt the minute they suspect a different reality exists inside.

However thats the easy part, next comes selling it. Very few guilds can lay claim to unique selling points. You mentioned DOV, they have a very visible selling point of progression along with a few others right on their tails. But that isn't enough for them either - they are recruiting still. You need to have a niche or except that people will leave for a guild that has one. Many times it could be as simple as the fun people that it contains, but that's a tough foundation to build upon because once that group begins to break your unique element falls apart and other members will leave in that wake.

Figure out why you love your guild so much and just sell others on that one aspect when recruiting. You are much more likely to get like minded people and build your dream guild that way, because it's custom to what you enjoy most.

That what I've done and it's worked out pretty well for me and After Hours. We aren't prefect but I do get quite a few comments from members about how unique we are once they join, and those people are staying and bringing other friends with them.
Edited by Belletripsy on 3/11/2011 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Just send all your healers and tanks to Murloc Inc on alliance. We'll take good care of them. The rest of you can join as socials too.
Reply Quote
Sorry Heraphilus, even if we were on the alliance, we have no tanks or healers left. My alt is the only healer left, but is only level 69. I guess when cata was released people needed tanks and healers, so all of them left because they wanted to raid with guilds that focus mostly on raiding.
Edited by Evelice on 3/14/2011 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
any and all dps are encouraged to apply over here. Super laid back 9-10 hour raid weeks.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
I hate to say it but merging with another guild as socials might be your best option. Small guilds just can't get on their feet anymore, and this new guild progression system makes it clear Blizzard wants fewer, larger guilds per server. Unless your guild offers anything, you're doomed to lose those recruits to ones advertising raids and PvP. Sad, I know, but maybe you could make some new friends in a larger guild?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock

Is this what this game has descended into? That is sad. Really. I have my doubts that goal-oriented, min-maxing PvE and arena junkie dweebs make up the majority - they're just the most vociferous. People looking for a guild that isn't hell bent on progression and achievements are out there. In fact, I know a number that keep alts in smaller guilds to get away from the crap this new guild advancement system has put on the playerbase. Hell, all my characters on this server have existed for that very purpose for the past five years; to get away from things and just enjoy the game itself.

Best of luck.

Out of fear of bias, I completely agree with Mik. There are very few people who just log on, to just, log on and fly about in Orgrimmar. Recruitment for guilds are really based on what goal they wish to achieve.

A lot of players, if not every player is goal-oriented. This doesn't solely apply to PvE in general. The majority of the player base can be quite selfish. The quote, "I pay 15$ a month to play, so I'll do what ever I wish.", comes to mind. People will pay their way in to do what they want, if they feel that they are wasting their time somewhere, then chances are, they won't stick around.

A lot of you don't know me or my guild. Anyways, my name is Amy, and I am the guild master for Thralls Guardians. Ever since cata we have lost some 300 members, the creator of the guild was one of them. They all left because we wont progress as fast as other guilds like Dawn of Valor for example. Since cata myself and about seven others have been trying to get our guild going again.

People call us a "fail" guild because we don't really focus on progression. We just like to chat and have a good time. I'm running out of options. I love our guild and don't want to see it go away. I could really use some advice that would help us. Recruiting has failed, I asked for advice in trade chat once. Ever since then I removed trade chat from my chat channels. I just couldn't take all the degrading things people said.

I remember having a few social guilds in the past. Remember that having a social guild without any sort of "style" will usually have its ups and downs. These types of guilds will have a decent turn-over rate. Simply because people just get bored of logging on, and not really doing anything. They log on to play and have fun. So by making it a place to generally "hang out", people will come, but not everyone has the same views of fun, when it comes to hanging out. Some people like to RP, some like to talk music, some like to make videos, some like to PvP, some like to seriously PvP, some like casual talk, some like Casual or hardcore raiding, and some just like to quest and make money. There are even some, that just like to help other people.

With casual guilds, you cater to a lot of people. If you give it some sort of direction, like someone has already mentioned, it might give you a decent boost. Turn it into a Casual BG / Leveling guild. Let people help each other out, and work together to gain some minor and very easy goals.

Be like, hey guys, on Friday and Saturday, we're going to do some BGs as a guild! Or something like that. They don't need to be rated BGs, but just BGs in general.

Humans really do strive on accomplishments. If you aren't accomplishing anything, you start to worry. Unless you just don't want to accomplish anything, and that makes it hard to attract people.

I say find a niche for your guild. Be it casual pvp, leveling, pve. Whatever the case, but if you have a very casual goal for the guild that is somewhat game related, I'm sure you'll start to see some members stick around, rather than seeing the same revolving doors. Remember when recruiting for your guild, set the tone from the start.

Make sure that people understand that you're a casual "insert niche here" guild. Let them know that you aren't interested in PvE progression if that is the case. If they don't like that, then they aren't a good fit for your guild, and best of luck to them finding one that suits their needs. Don't get down when these types of people compare you to Dawn of Valor and other PvE progression guilds. You aren't a PvE progression guild, so there was no need for them to respond to you, other than if they are trying to troll you. If so, just /ignore them.

I'm sure you'll figure something out, there are a lot of players that don't have the time to invest into some of the needs that the PvP and PvE guilds require. Find those that want to stay, and don't get down on yourself. Every guild will fall short of what their needs require them at some point. At this point, it falls on how passionate the people in the guild are about it.

So always remember, good luck, and have fun!

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sometimes it's best to just disband or put it on hold, nothing lasts forever. I lost my guild right after cata came out, with the guild levels and what not. It sucks, yeah, but sometimes it's best. Merge with another guild or something, so you still have all the same people around. I've tried starting over with the guild, sending in for a guild name change and everything. We were the same type of guild. It's just tough with lower leveled guilds.
RIP
<Over Nine Thousand>/<Happy Campers>
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I generally avoid these forums like a plague, but seeing as this is a surprisingly troll-light thread, I'd like to offer you some words of encouragement. But unfortunately, first we get to start with cold hard facts:

First and foremost, the reality of the guild leveling system, as much as it's made guilds valuable, is that its made them too valuable for new players. The leveling bonuses, the JP bonus, the Honor bonus - they're priceless for people in a "what can my guild do for me" mindset. There is simply no sugar coating the fact that you want these perks, and you will need these perks before you're on a level playing field. It's quite arguably that Blizz has made this way too powerful (and probably should have limited these perks to players who have at least one character with some level of guild reputation, so as to prevent using them as selling points), but you're playing an ugly game at the moment.

But there is an upside: guilds don't lose experience. You're leveling slowly, progressing slowly. But your guild is still leveling. If you enjoy what you're doing, stick with it. Push. Too many guilds fold because players get frustrated with the external forces, feeling like they will never be able to defeat what they're up against. Most of the time, that's raid content - and in their case, they might be right. But you're up against a totally downable boss: the guild xp grind. And especially at the lower levels, that really isn't insurmountable.

Try and find a core of like minded people. Guild run 5-man random heroics are a surprisingly productive option for you; so are running dailies in groups. And frankly, if you want to dillute your social network at the moment to scrounge up some guild xp, DO just post in trade and invite anyone. Don't bother mucking around with questions - players who are asking what guild level you are probably aren't looking to be part of a new community, but if you just post as a social/friendly/casual/growing guild, you'll gather a handful of people. And leveling toons are worth a TON of guild xp, because questing is hugely valuable.

Your guild can't UN-level. The only way you can take a step backwards is if you abandon it. Literally the only thing between you and guild level 25 is time. Collect a few casual players and you'll get there eventually - I came back to WoW from almost a year retirement six weeks ago, and we've gone from guild level 13 to 20 in that time. It's not insurmountable. The only thing that can stop you is if you quit.
Edited by Zothor on 3/22/2011 8:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
If you don't want to disband, you should really try to "do something"

Maybe the handful of you left can work on guild achievements, or something like that. Something I always thought might be fun was to have a group of 4 or 5 make these incredible BoA alts and level together. Doing that would significantly boost your guild exp. You will also find levelers on the way, again boosting your guild exp.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Vox is recruiting dps who want to raid and some socials to grind out our last few guild levels for us. God forbid i do anything in this game besides recruit and raid.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
As a former GM on my other server, I definitely know how you feel, Evelice. My guild was primarily a social guild. At first, it worked out just fine, but then more and more was expected. Ultimately we had to merge with another small guild for survivability. The major downfall to that was that because the guild had grown, people became raid-slaves and more or less bent on getting geared and were willing to walk all over other guildies. The guild I am currently in now is more of a PvP guild but it's more social than anything. We are progressing, but not nearly as quick as others, but we aren't getting upset about it. We enjoy eachothers company and enjoy the game more than anything. Just keep plugging away and you will get there. Not to down the larger guilds, but in a lot of cases, raiding becomes more of a job than a game to enjoy...really takes away from the game, especially when people take the game more seriously than life.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
FTA
HOW HAS NOBODY TROLLED THIS THREAD?

Spinebreaker, I am dissapoint.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
DERR IMASLAVE TO RAID DERRR
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]