Afk/Bots

70 Draenei Paladin
I want a big poster for my wall. It'll have this picture of R2D2 and C3PO waving with a big red circle and a slash (like the ghostbusters one).
85 Orc Warrior
ive had 3 accounts banned for botting in the past. why are ppl getting slaps on the wrist now when it seems 50x as many ppl are doing it. and when i did it it was first offense gone
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
This is pathetic.

I've been in games lately with 3-4 bots in a 10v10 match.

There is no possible way for this to be acceptable. A simple parser for post-match statistics would reveal who was a bot and could be written in VB in like 10 minutes.

Let's see... a guy was in the battle for the full duration, has zero healing, zero damage, no objectives completed... bot or not clearly that guy should not be in BGs. If he had been reported and was still there then that is plenty of evidence of a bot.

Just put a ban on people who abuse BGs so they can't queue up anymore. Forget banning accounts, just keep them out of BGs. Make the punishment progressive and reactive so players who thought it was worth their time can have the choice to stop being an abuser and start playing the game the way its meant to be played.

All this talk of extremely complex algorithms to track play history etc. seems unnecessary. Why this has taken years to even address is an entirely different problem altogether.

Sad days. I can think of dozens of feasible fixes for this problem yet nothing has been done despite mind numbingly obvious abuse of the game. I just... don't understand why it's so difficult.
85 Human Priest
03/25/2011 2:47 PMPosted by Daedae
Let's see... a guy was in the battle for the full duration, has zero healing, zero damage, no objectives completed...

The bots now attack to get damage. I've seen them attack rams in AV, or if they follow you sometimes they will attack the same one you're attacking.

These botmaker's are pretty good at covering up.
85 Orc Warrior
03/25/2011 3:15 PMPosted by Dundras
Let's see... a guy was in the battle for the full duration, has zero healing, zero damage, no objectives completed...

The bots now attack to get damage. I've seen them attack rams in AV, or if they follow you sometimes they will attack the same one you're attacking.

bots have been around a long time. When i did it it followed a path and then had followed a set of commands. it was better than all these and was very hard to detect. the thing is... after blizzard won the suit against the company that made it, im guessing they cut back on their anti bot funding =/
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

Agreed completely. I can see how tracking the complicated bots could be daunting and difficult task, one that would require precision and perfect execution to prevent any collateral damage, for example.

But the AFK bots, or players who intentionally AFK.. these abusers are the major source of the current state of BGs. Fixing this problem immediately (albeit it's far too late for this to be true) would have alleviated a lot of the abuse and allowed for plenty of time to develop a proper way to track and punish those that pay for and use complicated bot programs.

The problem is we're still waiting for a solution (rather, an upgrade or internal mechanism evolved from the report AFK feature) to handle the obvious abusers.
55 Dwarf Death Knight
I just completed 4 strand of the ancients BG's

the first three had 1-2 afk/bot, but the last one just had 5 people afk on alliance side and zero on horde

I exploded in frustration and i am now deceased - just bringing more attention to Blizzard

This needs to be fixed immediately. Priority. NumerO Uno.
86 Blood Elf Hunter
The best ones are the people like the ones I just saw in the 70 bg wearing BOAs in the slots they are available and everything else about level 25. Just sad to see that kind of cheating.
03/25/2011 3:26 PMPosted by Ramnod

I agree, they should really be working hard to fix this. I don't buy the explanation that they're just watching the bots to figure out how to break the program, I think I even read a post from a blue at one point that said they are not, in fact, monitoring the bots.

Some of these people are obviously bots. Not like, "Hmm, I had to look close to catch that!" But actually like painfully obvious. I've had to report the same one twice over the last few weeks and it's still hanging around. It...

has no gear on above level 60
    has done barely 400k damage total in their BGs (by comparison, I did over 300k in just one BG alone)
    has no talent points placed
    is not running dungeons
    has no more than 49 quests completed between 1 and 83
    spends all day, every day doing nothing but BGing

And yet reporting it yields no results.
90 Dwarf Hunter

the first three had 1-2 afk/bot, but the last one just had 5 people afk on alliance side and zero on horde

I exploded in frustration and i am now deceased - just bringing more attention to Blizzard

LOL ..your lucky...I had strands of the ancients today were 7 of the 15 alliance were afk the whole time of the bg. Try winning with those odds now...you can't.
90 Undead Mage
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

no you're not.
85 Dwarf Priest
I know I have posted this several times but Blizzard is wasting their time if they even are trying to stop the aft/boting. It's very simple all of us trying to BG only want two things, a full team and everyone trying their best. It's not that much to ask to let us report someone aft and if 50% of us do it just make it instant boot them. There is no way anyone is booting people actually playing, the downtime of missing a player would hurt too bad. This takes everything out of blizzards hands, they don't have to do anything anymore it will honestly regulate itself. I would also make it so that the auto boot would not be available for say the first 2 min, this will keep anyone from removing someone due to gear inspections at the beginning of the game.
is there any place we can report the follow/botters?
85 Night Elf Druid
a new method of reporting bots would be great
85 Human Death Knight
the honor awarding mechanism is incorrect to begin with.
85 Human Hunter
I like the sentiment, very cyinical and dubious on any real change given how long and how many times we've asked. Please prove me wrong.
9 Night Elf Hunter

LOL ..your lucky...I had strands of the ancients today were 7 of the 15 alliance were afk the whole time of the bg. Try winning with those odds now...you can't.

Similar thing just happened to our team for EotS this morning:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2we9chg.png

^ 5 AFKers, plus one auto-follow douche (yet another bot from Ner'zhul realm. Surprise!) who got attacked while his "you've been reported as afk by your team mates" was almost ticked down. He was there until the end.
9 Night Elf Hunter
03/25/2011 5:33 PMPosted by Melkezadek
I know I have posted this several times but Blizzard is wasting their time if they even are trying to stop the aft/boting. It's very simple all of us trying to BG only want two things, a full team and everyone trying their best. It's not that much to ask to let us report someone aft and if 50% of us do it just make it instant boot them. There is no way anyone is booting people actually playing, the downtime of missing a player would hurt too bad. This takes everything out of blizzards hands, they don't have to do anything anymore it will honestly regulate itself. I would also make it so that the auto boot would not be available for say the first 2 min, this will keep anyone from removing someone due to gear inspections at the beginning of the game.

Unfortunately, people did abuse the system (afk report) shortly after it was implemented. One person posted up several screen shots of their being reported over and over again in AV, while they were clearly participating.

In my opinion, it's probably the same people who type out that emote "so-and-so has reported you as AFK. Type /afk to clear it from the system" (doing that emote is a reportable offense, BTW). They don't care if the team is gonna be short one player for any given duration. They do it out of mean-spiritedness, psychotic-whateverness, and plain old douchebaggery.

edit: to Radzin (post below this one) :

You're preaching to the choir.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2267599796?page=20#387

Also :
There is a difference between reporting someone doing something and reporting people who are just chilling at the start zone.

The situation in regard to the guy who was being harassed with the afk-report tool was happening because a pre-made team was trying to oust him and bring in more of their own members.
Edited by Nocturna on 3/26/2011 9:12 AM PDT
85 Draenei Priest
Unfortunately, people did abuse the system (afk report) shortly after it was implemented. One person posted up several screen shots of their being reported over and over again in AV, while they were clearly participating.

In my opinion, it's probably the same people who type out that emote "so-and-so has reported you as AFK. Type /afk to clear it from the system" (doing that emote is a reportable offense, BTW). They don't care if the team is gonna be short one player for any given duration. They do it out of mean-spiritedness, psychotic-whateverness, and plain old douchebaggery.

There is a difference between reporting someone doing something and reporting people who are just chilling at the start zone. I have no idea how Blizzard allows people to afk there but it still happens all. the. time.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]