Afk/Bots

85 Human Paladin
I was about to cancel my account because the botting was out of control, I'm skeptical but this certainly restores hope!
6 Worgen Hunter
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

Well its nice reading this, however I have seen this posted from many blizzard posters over the past years saying the exact same thing. Hopefully this doesn't just apply to wow but also to starcraft 2 and maybe older games like wc3 and d2 but that might be asking a lot. I'll believe it when action is actually taken.
Edited by Vombay on 3/15/2011 10:36 PM PDT
03/15/2011 10:34 PMPosted by Cherryfox
I was about to cancel my account because the botting was out of control, I'm skeptical but this certainly restores hope!

^^ Same boat for me 45-1h20 min BG ques only to get 3-5 afk bots each match. ><

(Length of the ques may also be buggy {combined with afkers really puts a downer on doing Bgs atm :\} you can go 5-8min ques then have to wait 30-40mins+, but if you cancel after 20-25min which I've been doing a fair bit lately, your que pops with in 3-5 mins most times 0-o.)
85 Dwarf Priest
there's no way that just happend.

Blue got his account hacked must be.
O'course! So we'll just poke it a lil' bit mo', so them Blizzboys will see that one o' their own is geh'n hacked... At least, that's m' theory.

Now that I think abau' it, blues dunt look in this forum. Le's just poke it fer fun!
85 Human Hunter
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

5 years later and they're finally thinking about handling bots proactively.
69 Gnome Priest
Ran across a funny bot in 4 or 5 games across AV weekend this past weekend. The dude was a bot that moved randomly like most bots. But he also talked in /bg chat every few minutes. He blended in by being negative and insulting. Every few minutes he would say things like..."You guys suck"...."We lost, just let them win"..."It's over".

I noticed it in the first game I saw him, because he was mounted and running in to a mountain near a graveyard I was guarding. He did that throughout the whole game, randomly throwing out negative comments here and there. What was hilarious was in some later games, some players bit on his comments and started arguinging with him. I was like, umm do you realize you're arguing with a bot? lol
03/15/2011 6:53 PMPosted by Minitalis
I'll believe it when I see it..

yeah this... nice to see a blue post but will anything really happen about it. I'm guessing no.
85 Night Elf Death Knight
03/15/2011 6:53 PMPosted by Minitalis
I'll believe it when I see it.. A Puzzle lock provides greater defense. Detection is going to fail because of the complexity of many of the bots. Some bots fight better then many players do.

LOLOLOL so true brah....... 50% of people in BGs bots can out play....
85 Human Death Knight
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of AFK / Botters in the BGs lately. Definitely a concern ... hopefully Blizzard is able to get this resolved well enough to really discourage it. You know, simple code in the BGs that monitor whether you've gotten a kill, have been killed, or are standing near an objective might be a convenient way to fix this.

The AFK Botters I've seen just hang out near the entrance, rarely get killed and never kill anyone. No PvP activity for 5 minutes, you get booted from the BG and your name added to a list for closer scrutiny regarding bot activity.

Just curious though, why are so many botters showing back up? I take it they've found a way to get around Warden?
85 Human Death Knight
03/15/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Bobbistarr
Fix broken queues. They've been like this since Cata release. It takes 5-50+ attempts to get a successful queue as horde and it is absolutely infuriating.

More infuriating that while queue times are easier on Alliance side, chance of victory is almost nil. Blizzard's system of rewarding the winners with 6-10 times more points is definitely showing a gearing gap in Cataclysm, meaning longer queues for Horde because they faceroll Alliance so often that many Alliance have just quit trying.

Might be frustrating to have to queue a lot ... more frustrating to have to lose 8-10 times before possibly getting a victory in a random BG.
7 Goblin Shaman
Maybe if blizzard made the honor easier to obtain.... As ally it takes me 3-5 hours to farm one peace of gear...... IMO this is way so many people bot......... PVPers BG just to get gear for arena... I don't have time to raid and don't want to spend all that time farming gear like raiders do..... if I wanted to spend time farming gear I would raid.

Blue post that........
I just wanted to say, thank you, at long last...

To the guy above me:
You don't need gear to do arena/raids, a lot of people are quite talented and can do them successfully in terrible gear. If you're actually finding it difficult to win at these things, maybe you should stop botting and start playing. Practice and win through skill, or grind and win through gear, but stop trying to cheat the system to win.
Edited by Thugos on 3/16/2011 12:26 AM PDT
87 Troll Rogue
Id like a blue post on here please because you cant win 7 v 10.

Wow you got lucky.

Nice. Might go back to alliance now :P
Almost every player who arenas does Battlegrounds to gear up for them. Its pretty much impossible to find decent players to arena with without having full pvp gear.

Most players gear get nearly every piece of bloodthirsty before replacing it with vicious. Even if you did arenas over a 1 month grind of BG farming, you'd only get around 2 pieces vic (only 1 if you get the weapon first like most do). For alliance it takes on average atleast 3-4 hours of BGing per piece of gear. That adds up to approximately 50 hours of time invested just to get the ENTRY level pvp set. If you invested 2 hours each day BGing, it would take 25 days to get a full set. I don't remember the pvp grind being this time consuming since Vanilla. It honestly feels like I'm playing a Korean grind-type MMO. Not to mention I have multiple 85s I would like to do arena on. The time investment is absolutely absurd.

BTW its usually much worse as horde. You may win slightly more games, but broken queues make it virtually impossible to grind more than 1-2 BGs an hour. I had atleast 40 unsuccessful queues tonight on my priest over the span of 2 hours before giving up. Zero honor in 2 hours. Oh and its been like this since CATA LAUNCH. Nothing has been done.

I'm not saying that the grind is "too long" or "too short", i never said my position on that and I apologise if it seemed that way but as this was a topic about botting and not the "gear grind" I did not intend to make it sound like that.
I simply said cheating the system is wrong. If you can justify why it is fair that someone who is say, half way through the "grind", should loose in an arena match to someone who just botted for a week and got the gear, then I'll retract my statement.
6 Draenei Mage
I hope that you are able to take care of this with some sense of urgency. This is becoming more and more common, and seems that nothing is being done. I have ran about 20 battle grounds in the last 2 days and I would say there has been a bot in everyone of them. And reporting them, does nothing, cause they have the bot target anyone in range and cast a heal on them, or something. This is removing all the fun from a battle ground when in Battle for Gilneas and there are 2 bots setting at the starting point, targeting one another and spamming spells.
100 Human Paladin

Hooray!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]