Afk/Bots

100 Gnome Mage
I hope this applies most to those that quit in the middle of a battle ground, and spam "just let them win". They should get no honor, be banned etc etc.
6 Draenei Mage
Also, something needs to be done about crafters, I entered Isle of conquest and people where just standing in the keep milling herbs and prospecting. I know they are not "AFK" but might as well be, there should be an option or system that watches for people doing this exact thing. The system watches for someone to start milling, then just as if they went AFK, they get kicked. It's fair.
80 Goblin Warrior
BC
Did I miss something?

How do arena players not need honor?

Heh... apparently you did miss something... called Conquest points.

High-rated players are decked out in Conquest gear, not honor gear.

Honor points have no meaning to them unless it is a fresh 85 (in which case, it WILL NOT be a high rated toon either).

The post that I quoted originally said that they had seen "high rated" players AFKing/botting... that is unlikely.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/zetox/simple

hes so decked out for being r1... a good player can make lesser gear work most of the time
85 Tauren Druid
Thank you.
90 Human Warlock
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

I'm glad you guys are doing something, but at the same time I am disappointed you let it get to the point it has where there has been a thread a day on it.

I know these things ebb and flow, and the botters will keep making better bots to try and get around your detection systems, but it just seems it went on way longer then it should have, and it probably encouraged players to give up and bot themselves, making the issue worse.
85 Draenei Priest
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of AFK / Botters in the BGs lately. Definitely a concern ... hopefully Blizzard is able to get this resolved well enough to really discourage it. You know, simple code in the BGs that monitor whether you've gotten a kill, have been killed, or are standing near an objective might be a convenient way to fix this.

The AFK Botters I've seen just hang out near the entrance, rarely get killed and never kill anyone. No PvP activity for 5 minutes, you get booted from the BG and your name added to a list for closer scrutiny regarding bot activity.

This is actually the type of behaviour that the "report afk" feature checks against right now; albeit having to be initiated by a majority of the current players in the BG first. However, bots already have a way around this in the way of so-called 'follow-bots' and those that use terrain meshes/waypoints for movement without player input (I'm sure you've seen those 'players' who automatically mount upon rezzing and always follow the same path, leading them right to the opposing team's graveyard) -- they rely on the opposing team wanting easy kills to thwart what that report afk feature checks against: being in combat. So, all a more proactive system of this would do is cause more of these types of bots.

Just curious though, why are so many botters showing back up? I take it they've found a way to get around Warden?

Warden is a joke, sorry to say; has been for a very long time now. Its hindrance is that it only checks memory space allocated to WoW and nothing else, and that's very easy to work around. The reason it's so craptacular nowadays is basically because of some overzealous slashdot reporter(s) and the EFF back in ~2007 (I love those guys, but sometimes they can be a little misguided... sometimes..). They were claiming that the Warden of the BC era was essentially akin to spyware all because of how 'intrusive' it was in that it was checking all known memory space, which, in their words, "could potentially lead to privacy concerns," which to anyone who knows half a damn about this stuff is a complete fallacy.
In truth, the Warden of old was no different than, say, Punkbuster -- it was just less forward about its presence. But, because of public outcry, Blizzard caved, and ever since then we've had this neutered piece of "security" that any 5-year old with a basic understanding of computer logic could hide their code from.

On topic though, I agree with many other sentiments voiced here. It's great to see some attention on the subject from Blizzard, but, like others, I'll believe it when I see it. Because given what's known about Warden today, they'd have to practically do a complete rewrite as well as go back to their old "evil ways" -- or maybe strike a deal with EvenBalance or Valve to license their anti-cheat software (wow, that'd be a dream I think) -- to even think of being a 'threat' to bots these days... =/

Also, and as a bit of a side note, newer hardware technologies and OSes have made it extremely more difficult to hide code from Warden, but because of Blizzard's desire to cater to the lowest common hardware denominator, botting will continue until one of 2 things happen: a) Blizzard raises the system requirements for WoW, requiring such newer technologies (e.g., a dual-core processor, minimum (which, let's be honest, is not unreasonable these days)), or b) Blizzard shuts down WoW.
So, I guess, in a way, WoW's "popularity" (by way of its extremely low barrier for entry, and Blizzard's desires to keep it that way) is its own downfall in this regard; how poetic... =(
85 Human Paladin
Best News EVER!!!
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

Please get a handle on things like this (screencap posted on my blog http://thereluctanttank.blogspot.com/2011/03/bots-are-getting-ridiculous.html)
PHOTO LINK: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rKdJLi8UvEU/TYB7DZbgJSI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/gxWGcmIS1DU/s1600/WoWScrnShot_030811_BOTexample.jpg

This Guy got killed ONCE yet had more HKs and Honor than anyone else WITHOUT DOING ANY DAMAGE?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??
Edited by Eeogoughn on 3/16/2011 3:58 AM PDT
85 Troll Shaman
I'll believe it when I see it.
80 Goblin Warrior
BC
03/16/2011 1:18 AMPosted by Timmage
I hope this applies most to those that quit in the middle of a battle ground, and spam "just let them win". They should get no honor, be banned etc etc.

i go out of my way to drag a bg out when someone says that
90 Human Rogue
I quit playing if it's blatantly obvious we're going to lose. Why delay the inevitable and prolong a match that you're obviously not going to win? I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy working harder and spending more time for the exact same thing. Were you upset when they lowered experience needed to level up from 60-70? Of course not. It takes less time and less effort for the same gain. It's the same situation here. The faster you lose, the faster you get the bonus honor, and the faster you can start on the next BG. I happen to value efficiency.

Now, there's two types of "quitting" I do. There's the kind where i'm able to nab some kills, and i'm not getting killed in the duration of a three second stun. In cases like that, i'll ignore people capping the flag, or carrying the flag, and i'll just try to kill somebody.

Then there's the kind of quitting where the moment I hit someone I got a warrior intercepting me, a hunter spamming me, and two rogues coming out of stealth, and i'm dead before the intercept stun even wears off. I don't enjoy getting farmed. Some people refuse to cap the flag and just continue to mass murder players. I'm not going to contribute to getting farmed, i'm just going to stand in a corner until the end of the match.

At any rate, I hope I wouldn't get banned for such behavior.

03/16/2011 3:43 AMPosted by Noxed

They should make it so that when you get reported AFK by enough people (or if your faction earns at least 100 points without you doing any damage, you get a automatically get a debuff that makes it so you CANNOT leave the BG and you LOSE Honor at a rate that is double of what the highest damage dealing honor earner is getting until they start doing damage or, for healers, start healing players. And yes, let them go into a negative balance for honor points. If you fight/heal, then you'd have no reason to be concerned.
13 Human Mage

I just got out of a Warsong Gulch where 5 out of 10 players on my team were bots, I know this because I had seen them each before-hand where they walked the exact same path as they had in previous games (with almost no gear on or very mismatched gear). I hate to use caps . . . but . . . THIS IS THE DAMN 10-14 BRACKET FOR CHRIST'S SAKE . . . (pre-apologizing, sorry but I'm frustrated atm).

Understanding that Blizzard can't be in every battleground at every moment, I decided to be a helpful player and report these players. As proud and responsible as I felt, the ticket "icon" covers my buffs now meaning I can't pass flags to other players (I'm sure there's a way to move it, but it's early).

It's honestly not a huge deal, but I would greatly appreciate a "form" that I could fill out that asks for the player's name, server, a brief description of the situation and when it happened. I do understand this is pretty much the exact same function as the current ticket format, but the point I'm trying to get across is that I'd like something that I could fill out, submit it, and that's it, rather than have that icon cluttering up my tiny computer screen. I could also fill out more reports faster, meaning I wouldn't have to edit my original ticket 4+ times like I had to just now. Again, not a huge deal, but I'd appreciate it ^^.

I know y'all are trying . . . but it's pretty sad that every battleground I enter I expect at least 2 bots on my team and/or 2 on the opposing team. It's also quite depressing when everyone is doing their job, but 2 out of 10 players are self-buffing themselves the whole battle reducing the entire team's effectiveness by ~20%+.
90 Human Rogue
03/16/2011 4:06 AMPosted by Eeogoughn

They should make it so that when you get reported AFK by enough people (or if your faction earns at least 100 points without you doing any damage, you get a automatically get a debuff that makes it so you CANNOT leave the BG and you LOSE Honor at a rate that is double of what the highest damage dealing honor earner is getting until they start doing damage or, for healers, start healing players. And yes, let them go into a negative balance for honor points. If you fight/heal, then you'd have no reason to be concerned.

Why do you promote wasting time? I don't enjoy spending extra time doing something for no benefit. Why would you want to? I do not understand.
14 Draenei Shaman
This thread is a good example of why you don't see a lot of blue posts in this forum. We should all treat each other with respect, and that includes the Blue posters. It was nice of them to give us a heads up, be gracious and move along...
12 Human Rogue
All you people saying "thank you" are like people that thank someone who's been assaulting you for years bc he says he'll stop.

You make me sick.

Years of complaints, but it takes another good MMO on the horizon to get results huh?
93 Goblin Priest
This is very good to hear.

Would it be possible to remove or disable /follow in battlegrounds? It's a small thing (seemingly, depends on the coding I suppose), but would go a good way to help with habitual afkers.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]