Afk/Bots

80 Goblin Warrior
BC

They should make it so that when you get reported AFK by enough people (or if your faction earns at least 100 points without you doing any damage, you get a automatically get a debuff that makes it so you CANNOT leave the BG and you LOSE Honor at a rate that is double of what the highest damage dealing honor earner is getting until they start doing damage or, for healers, start healing players. And yes, let them go into a negative balance for honor points. If you fight/heal, then you'd have no reason to be concerned.

Why do you promote wasting time? I don't enjoy spending extra time doing something for no benefit. Why would you want to? I do not understand.

because it gets to people like you

All you people saying "thank you" are like people that thank someone who's been assaulting you for years bc he says he'll stop.

You make me sick.

Years of complaints, but it takes another good MMO on the horizon to get results huh?

that was a terrible analogy
56 Draenei Shaman
I love how people whine when they don't get a response, then whine about it when they do :)
85 Dwarf Warrior
I'll believe it when I see it. Does Blizzard really have any incentive to actually do this, to ban paying customers? I hope they do because BOTs have to be the biggest threat to this game. Only if enough complain and quit the game, and let Blizzard know that they quit due to BOTs will anything ever get done. For now, I think this blue post is just lip service.
Why didnt Blizzard take care of this right away??

Easy fix would be, take away the "Follow" Option, and players who havent moved 1 - 2 minutes will be thrown out of the BG....

Not the best solution, i know but id rather play with less ppl than with AFKers....

And everybody who Bots, should get a 1 hour ban after the first time he was found doing it.... and so on
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

Botting is rampant even in leveling brackets, where you don't need much honor at all to buy everything you can use. Given how much bg botters damage game quality for others, take-away-honor slap-on-the-wrist doesn't seem a proportional response, and I am surprised it is even considered in the same sentence, if that was the intended meaning (and not in reference only to simple afk people). Obviously honor isn't the reason that people bot 35-39 or 40-44 in the first place, so its loss isn't a major deal.

The recent bans seem to set an appropriate level of response to people who bot bg's.
85 Human Warlock
botting in the 80-84 bracket is worse than at 85.

but it was a non issue before that, at least in my experience.

03/16/2011 6:25 AMPosted by Nualkrisaarx
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

Botting is rampant even in leveling brackets, where you don't need much honor at all to buy everything you can use. Given how much bg botters damage game quality for others, take-away-honor slap-on-the-wrist doesn't seem a proportional response, and I am surprised it is even considered in the same sentence, if that was the intended meaning (and not in reference only to simple afk people). Obviously honor isn't the reason that people bot 35-39 or 40-44 in the first place, so its loss isn't a major deal.

The recent bans seem to set an appropriate level of response to people who bot bg's.
14 Draenei Shaman
03/16/2011 5:34 AMPosted by Promathia
I love how people whine when they don't get a response, then whine about it when they do :)

PvP people are whiny...

85 Human Death Knight
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok

sweet, only 5 years late

why do I get the impression this is bs and nothing is going to change like it never has
Blizzard are just cutting off their nose despite their face.

Botting BGs isn't the problem, its the tedious way to get gear and the stupid que times for horde.

I AFK BGs (195k hks). I don't use a 3rd party software program, dare you to ban me blizzard?

End of the day you are just losing money :)

Edit" Bandaid fix as usual and not addressing the real issues.

Maybe they will just take away honor points/gear.

That said, botting is rampant in much lower brackets. if you are not aware, you cannot spend more than a few hundred honor on whatever you can use at those levels, so folks aren't botting because a few HUNDRED honor is too much work.
85 Goblin Shaman
Maybe they will just take away honor points/gear.

That said, botting is rampant in much lower brackets. if you are not aware, you cannot spend more than a few hundred honor on whatever you can use at those levels, so folks aren't botting because a few HUNDRED honor is too much work.

Obviously they are botting to level :)
85 Tauren Druid
Whats the point of high-ranking player going into a bg anyways? Well, my brother did it all the time on his rogue but that's because he loved ganking noobs. (in response to a guy from the first page)

Once you get your honor gear from bgs its pretty much pointless to return unless you actually enjoy the redundancy of it. Arenas are far superior.

On another note I really hope the blue is serious and not just blowing smoke because these afkers are obnoxious and everyone knows reporting them afk doesn't do anything. They are there throughout the entire fight and lose you the match and there is nothing you can do about them.

It would be the equivalent of someone in a raid just afkin' out in the middle of combat, only in a bg there is no vote kick. And there damn well should be.
03/16/2011 2:39 AMPosted by Eeogoughn

Please get a handle on things like this (screencap posted on my blog http://thereluctanttank.blogspot.com/2011/03/bots-are-getting-ridiculous.html)
PHOTO LINK: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rKdJLi8UvEU/TYB7DZbgJSI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/gxWGcmIS1DU/s1600/WoWScrnShot_030811_BOTexample.jpg

This Guy got killed ONCE yet had more HKs and Honor than anyone else WITHOUT DOING ANY DAMAGE?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??

Worth noting that this is in a leveling bracket, as well (45-49?).
03/15/2011 7:23 PMPosted by Lorinall

I hope players who go AFK and are booted out of the battleground normally without subverting the system are excluded from this tracking, even if it happens frequently. They are already punished by having their honor removed. I know I'd feel nervous about leaving the keyboard for a moment or getting disconnected if players were getting their accounts acted against for normal inactivity.

I would imagine infrequent afk'ing wouldn't be actioned at all. They know they are dealing with a retail sub. base and aren't going to target the profile of genuine awayfromkeyboard stuff. Habitual afk I would hope is the incremental penalty stuff, and botting one can only dream would be perma-banned, just like the archaeology bots received.
85 Tauren Druid
Blizzard are just cutting off their nose despite their face.

Botting BGs isn't the problem, its the tedious way to get gear and the stupid que times for horde.

I AFK BGs (195k hks). I don't use a 3rd party software program, dare you to ban me blizzard?

End of the day you are just losing money :)

Edit" Bandaid fix as usual and not addressing the real issues.
First of all, the expression is "cutting of their nose to spite their face," not despite.

Apart from that allowing cheating because it earns you a buck is no way to run a business. Blizzard doesn't condone gold buying because they know that if they support that kind of behavior then all the customers who aren't out to find new and creative ways to not actually play the game will be disheartened and at least some of them will decide to quit. Blizzard understands this because most of the guys at Blizzard are huge gamers and play their own games, and therefore probably experience the same feelings toward cheating.

I will say that I agree that they shouldn't ban someone for AFKing a game, but they should find a way to boot these people from the game early on thus preventing the cheating itself. Blizzard won't have to deal w/ repeat AFK offenders because they will eventually learn that there is no benefit in AFKing a match if you don't get any rewards for it. The botters as in everything else should be banned from the game.

My suggestion is link the report player away feature to a percentage function that kicks them. Say 30-40% of the battleground that is not associated with a single group and the player gets kicked. There is a possibility for this to be abused I'm sure, but overall I think you will have far more happy campers then going without it.

After all there is nothing worse than getting 5 capped and GY farmed in AB because 3 of your players are chillin' at spawn.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]