Afk/Bots

85 Goblin Shaman
03/16/2011 7:13 AMPosted by Banksecurity
besides being worthless in WoW im guessing you're a real winner IRL too. its a flaw in your character and im not talking about the one with pixels.

You got me.
85 Tauren Druid
I see less BG bots then I do farming bots while I am mining or herbing. Sorry but those kinds of bots ruin the games economy just as badly as AFKers and bots ruin the experience of BG's.

I guess Bashiok must have seen: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?74810-Blizz-Blues-Ep-9-AndroBots-in-ya-lls-BGs!

Suffice to say, bots are a problem, mainly because people abuse it if they are actually legitimate players as opposed to gold sellers. I think a good way to combat bots would be to have a Battleground monitor, or a couple of group assistants that have the ability to kick people out who have been tagged as AFK by other players, or tagged as bots. Basically, if you get 5 minutes into a BG and a damage class has done almost no damage or a healer hasn't healed, you know that person is botting or doing the AFK thing, and you should be able to a Report AFK or Report Bot function that notifies the BG leader, as well as other players and the moderators for each team, that someone is trying to cheat the system.

That system sounds overly complex and inefficient since the BG leader is randomly chosen. The problem that Darnel was talking about healer bots because they can heal a player and it counts as activity even though their heals aren't actually being used on a player who needs them. Then caster classes just buff themselves or do random aoe spells in the area to nobody to not get tagged as afk.
80 Human Paladin
03/15/2011 6:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

A few years too late, isn't it? How long has it been since you actually did anything at all about it?

You created pre-made group PvP with the RBGs with the point being that it would filter out the AFKers and bots, and by doing so the PvP game went to hell because you totally alienated the entire casual player base and those who don't wish to- or cannot get into- a premade group.

After all these years we finally get some kind of indication that you'll actually do something about it? We'll see how that pans out, but I'm not holding my breath.

After all these years, your talk is rightfully considered cheap. Action will speak louder than words.

Let's see it.
Edited by Fath on 3/16/2011 7:44 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
We’re in the process of stepping up our detection and tracking to log and action players that are botting, or habitually AFKing in the Battlegrounds. We’ll be taking aggressive action and removing earned items, Honor Points, and ultimately suspending or even banning accounts of those that are found to be botting or habitually AFKing. It’s a sophisticated level of monitoring we’re undertaking. No one actively playing in the Battlegrounds normally should be concerned that they’ll be actioned.

Yes! Just read this on MMO-champion (since sometimes important news like this that should really be front page headlines are hard to find here, maybe there is one and I'm just blind... oh well :P). This is the best thing I've read so far coming from a blue and it makes me really happy to see this.

My idea has always been, get booted for afking 3 times and get a 24h+ deserter debuff. But this is even better! I just love it.

Thank you blizz, now maybe the BGs will finaly get better and cleaner for both sides, and rid us the scum of the earth i.e the bots and afkers.

/big gnome hugs
85 Human Warrior
03/15/2011 6:25 PMPosted by Nastaygurl
So you do know this forum exists. O.o

lol'd really hard irl.
85 Goblin Shaman
03/16/2011 7:40 AMPosted by Banksecurity
cant argue with the truth.

Can't argue with the lvl 19 forum troll :[
03/16/2011 8:22 AMPosted by Armina
So you do know this forum exists. O.o

lol'd really hard irl.

With the warm response in this thread I wouldn't expect an increase of blue posts.
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/14/2011 7:24 AMPosted by Resarcio
Id like a blue post on here please because you cant win 7 v 10.

You're a Horde..... I assume you won anyway?
85 Human Paladin
So, is this going to be a smarter system that can tell the difference between defending with nothing happening for the first cuople minutes and afk, and not be based on players reporting, since its not completely uncommon for people to spawn into bgs like AV and get an instant afk report.

Please have some intelligence going into this idea. And PLEASE realize that we are incapable of policing ourselves, the vote to kick with the LFD should be a pretty decent sign of that.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I'll believe this change when I see it. It hasn't happened in a few years, despite blue posts that reporting AFK works. It's only been a few years since they had real BG bans, I'm not holding my breath, or getting any hopes up.
24 Night Elf Priest

Here's hoping it works. I'm sick and tired of playing Alterac Valley and spending part of the BG asking people to report the cave afkers and keep clicking on them until they turn purple. And to be perfectly frank, one person CANNOT do that.

At the same time you remove their items and honor, suspend them.
85 Blood Elf Hunter

Why do you promote wasting time? I don't enjoy spending extra time doing something for no benefit. Why would you want to? I do not understand.

because it gets to people like you

All you people saying "thank you" are like people that thank someone who's been assaulting you for years bc he says he'll stop.

You make me sick.

Years of complaints, but it takes another good MMO on the horizon to get results huh?

that was a terrible analogy

I thought it was actually pretty good. We've been paying all these years to play with bots in BGs, a GM says they're working on a fix, we say "thanks". Nothing has been accomplished yet, only promises. I'll save my thanks for when it ever happens. They should be the ones thanking us for putting up with it for years--without real fixes or quicker bans.
85 Night Elf Druid
What keeps me from getting into any serious PVP is how horrible the grind is just to get the initial set of pvp gear to start being competitive.

Whatever the honor reward rate is compared to how it was in WOTLK something just seems broken. I have spent literally 6 hours grinding AB on an AB weekend with about a 60% win ratio to get 1 piece.

This leads me to extreme apathy in BG's. 90% of the time I'll rush a node and sit on defense and could care less about the rest of the objectives. I have no desire to actually play the BG because I've already done it thousands of times.

Now I'm not about to start botting since I have too much invested in my account and don't want to lose it but the incentive to be active in BG's just isn't there. There honestly has to be a better reward system because spending 30+ minutes for 1-2% of the honor required for an item is not an insentive for players to try.

I can faceroll through heroics and BH once a week and receive more reward than an entire weekend spent honor grinding.

edit: I should also add that I've seen bots play better than a lot of people in BG's. At least most bots are at the nodes and fighting compared to idiots fighting on the road.
Edited by Prettydruid on 3/16/2011 8:48 AM PDT
85 Undead Warrior

In other words your going to go after a few really bad ones and the massive number of occasional AFKers and players who give up after one flag cap in WSG are going to go scott free as usual.

Why can't we have the tools the dungeon people have??? Are we so irresponsible compared to PvEers that we can't be trusted, we might kick someone who didn't deserve it??? Gee that never happens in the dungeons.

Don't waste your time with this token effort, and don't bother posting here, those of us who have played 6 years and watch AFKers profit 5 of those years, need to see results, talk from blues is cheap.

85 Human Rogue
Maybe if blizzard made the honor easier to obtain.... As ally it takes me 3-5 hours to farm one peace of gear...... IMO this is way so many people bot......... PVPers BG just to get gear for arena... I don't have time to raid and don't want to spend all that time farming gear like raiders do..... if I wanted to spend time farming gear I would raid.

Blue post that........

Blue, please check this guys account activity. He sounds like a botter
85 Human Rogue
Hello nerds, my autoclicker got me 2k+ honor last night well I slept.

I slept quite peacefully.

Blue, please look into this clown's account activity too...ah hell he just admitted it PERMA BAN HIM!
85 Human Rogue
Blizzard are just cutting off their nose despite their face.

Botting BGs isn't the problem, its the tedious way to get gear and the stupid que times for horde.

I AFK BGs (195k hks). I don't use a 3rd party software program, dare you to ban me blizzard?

End of the day you are just losing money :)

Edit" Bandaid fix as usual and not addressing the real issues.

Admitted botter Ban hammer time
1 Human Paladin
03/16/2011 5:43 AMPosted by Antietam
I'll believe it when I see it. Does Blizzard really have any incentive to actually do this, to ban paying customers? I hope they do because BOTs have to be the biggest threat to this game. Only if enough complain and quit the game, and let Blizzard know that they quit due to BOTs will anything ever get done. For now, I think this blue post is just lip service.

I don't think it's just lip service. Did you not see the number of threads yesterday about the mass ban wave? Sure it was for people using an Archaeology bot, but the same botting programme also has a pvp bot. I am sure people were using both.

And from what I am reading from the Arena Junkies forums, a few honor botters WERE banned that were using this tool. Including some rank 1 arena players.

I too am keeping my fingers crossed that they will follow through on their promise and continue to ban people that are found to be botting (be it pvp, gathering, speed hacking, or whatever).
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]