port forwarding VS port triggering?

I recently upgraded my router at home. I had a very old Linksys model that was starting to lose its DHCP connection from my Cable Modem. I figured with some of the new changes to with the most recent patch affecting some players latency it might be a good idea to upgrade. I picked up a Linksys e2000.

At first I forgot to open up the ports that wow needs, 6112-6114, 3724, 1119, and 4000. I went ahead and added those to the port forwarding section for my wifes computer. Then I went to add those same ports for my PC and this new Linksys will not allow me to open up the same ports to more than one internal IP address at a time. I was trying to find a way to open up these ports on the firewall across the board, but I having trouble finding a way to do so.

I setup Port triggering for those specific ports, but the "help" section on the routers config page for triggering states that the router will remember the port for the first IP that requests those ports, which makes me think that once the second PC running wow tries those ports they will not be allowed. Does anyone else have experience running more than one WOW client behind a Linksys Firewall?
Reply Quote
I just found a recommendation online that claims port triggering will indeed for for any device on the network trying to use certain ports. So I setup all my WOW ports in the port trigger table. I will update this thread later to see if the Latency issues are resolved.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
just a guess but could try forwarding ports to 192.168.1.255 or the last octet to .255 seeing 255 is a broadcast , in theory all lan's ips would accept the data. Just a guess though.

Hk
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
In order to use port forwarding proper for one router and say 2+ PCs you may have to issue static IP for the PC via "internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" where you are able to give your PC a certain IP and then issue your router the same IP when you open the ports so when your game connects there is no blocking going on.

Also double check your ports for router and windows Firewall, I asked four blues last year about the ports and got different port numbers from each, i don't think they know the real ports or have a security issue they are unable to give the proper ports, so I combined all four responces and got this below LOL

1119-1120, 6881-6999, 6112-6114, 80, 3724, 4000
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
set patchlist enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch

Looks like only 1119 is needed to be open

Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
03/14/2011 10:12 AMPosted by Lucílla
just a guess but could try forwarding ports to 192.168.1.255 or the last octet to .255 seeing 255 is a broadcast , in theory all lan's ips would accept the data. Just a guess though.

Ummm. No. That would forward to IP address 192.168.1.255 only. You're thinking of a netmask, which normally does not work for port forwarding on home routers.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
@OP

A new router is always a good purchase in many cases as they upgrade hardware from time to time to meet modern internet performance requirements. So you did good there.

Unfortunately, a limitation of "NAT" (which is the technology used that allows your home routers to work) is that you can only "port forward" to one internal computer unless you had multiple outside addresses.

Given that most ISPs provide you with one external IP address per home user connection, you're kind of in a bind with the forwarding.

The good news is, WoW doesn't require those ports to be forwarded to play, update, or download properly. You will get better performance with the WoW downloader, but they have no effect on actual gameplay.

If you have an actual problem, we can review other information to see where the problem may be.
Edited by Ako on 3/14/2011 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
set patchlist enUS.patch.battle.net:1119/patch

Looks like only 1119 is needed to be open

No. 1119 is but one of the ports that needs to be opened. Currently only 1119 and 3724 need to be opened/forwarded. However, this may change again down the road to the full complement of ports that can be found on the Tech Support pages.
Reply Quote
44 Undead Priest
03/14/2011 10:33 AMPosted by Ako
The good news is, WoW doesn't require those ports to be forwarded to play, update, or download properly. You will get better performance with the WoW downloader, but they have no effect on actual gameplay.

This.

I've never had to forward any ports on my router. The only issue I've had is during downloads I get the message that a firewall is blocking the download. Really all it is doing is preventing others from downloading from me. It should have no bearing on your game play.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
192.168.1.255 is not routeable well the .255 isn't routeable its and broadcast (ip?) anyways the 192.168.1. was just a guess at his private lan's ip. seeing that .255 is an broadcast then in theory all ip's should receive that data.
Reply Quote

If you have an actual problem, we can review other information to see where the problem may be.

I am pretty sure something is needed, Both our wow clients were showing near 2k latency on the home connection, as soon as I opened the ports to my PC and re-logged into wow my home latency dropped to near zero, my wife restarted her client as well and nothing changed. So doing a port forward to my pc changed things dramatically. I know it is not an add-on issue nor an ISP issue otherwise both Clients would have the same issues regardless of what I did to my forwarding.

I did read somewhere that I could try to get my ISP to give me 2 public IP Leases, and then I could do one to one forwarding for each lease, but that seems like a major hassle. perhaps there is something else I could change on my router to fix this, i was hoping there was a way to just unblock certain ports on the firewall for the entire network in a similar way exceptions can be made to the windows firewall, but I do not see anything of the kind on my linksys.. I had not had any issues like this over the last 3 years I have been using this Cable connection with my old router.

Also, I am running Both PC's on Windows XP 32bit, both are wired Ethernet to the router, both have plenty of available system resources, etc, etc.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
03/14/2011 10:57 AMPosted by Lucílla
192.168.1.255 is not routeable well the .255 isn't routeable its and broadcast (ip?) anyways the 192.168.1. was just a guess at his private lan's ip. seeing that .255 is an broadcast then in theory all ip's should receive that data.

Ummmm. No. Just because it has 255 on the end doesn't make it what you think it is. Again, you're thinking of a mask, which doesn't work in this situation. And 192.168.1.255 is not a mask. It's an internal IP address. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Reply Quote
While .255 is a broadcast address in my environment, that is not how broadcast addresses work.
Reply Quote
UPDATE:

The latency issue seems to be all over the place. Is going up and down on my wifes computer with no rhyme or reason. One mine it is green with low numbers and the next it is red and she cannot cast anything.

The lag on my pc seems to be less, i am wondering if the port triggering is only working for my PC since it was the first to request the port access from the router....

Any other ideas?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Having the same issue, only way i have been able to play with out the lag spikes is to just tether my iphone. it seems like if I'm casting non stop the lag wont come but as soon as i stop ans just chill for 30 seconds its lag city. Linksys WRP400 Firmware Version: 2.00.26
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Only one device should make outbound connections on a specific port. If two or more devices attempt to make outbound connections on the same port at a given time, there will be a conflict, and port triggering will not work correctly.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
C'mon, guys!

Opening your destination ports from the Internet to private IPs on your local LAN isn't necessary to play WoW and is not a great idea. Using port triggering is better if you're looking to allow P2P connections during patch file transfers, but this doesn't affect gameplay.

Yes, your clients can make connections to the same IP, on the same port, without issue. The router's NAT table will match your internal source IP, source port, destination IP, destination port to the return traffic and deliver it appropriately back to your requesting client. When I ran an Internet Cafe, I had 15 simultaneous clients all playing WoW at the same time, and I never had to forward any ports to 'reduce lag'. Port forwarding and lag during gameplay are unrelated.

If you're looking at opening ports or configuring port triggering, look at WHY you're doing this. If it's for a faster P2P connection, then you're doing the right thing. If that's the case, enable automatic downloads on only one client, store them and run them from your other clients once they have completed. There's no reason for every client in your LAN to download patches. If you're doing it because you think it will speed up gameplay or reduce lag, then you're not understanding what 'opening ports' does.

Your home routers do NOT block outbound traffic out of the box. There's no configuration required in order to play WoW. Opening ports allows INBOUND traffic, initiated by someone outside of your firewall, which only affects P2P traffic as far as WoW is concerned.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
also looks like you are using well old.. oudated windows xp. had alot issues in firstplace.even ms
doesnt support,,anymore,i build repair pcs,,test software ne windows ms,,stuff wow,,linux.
sounds likw to me me may be ,windows so old..dont support alot stuff..what yo might try is dns
congiguration on both compters,,as homegroup,,and it pc actual dns..you pc has specific dns..number adress identifys itself..internet your provider,,you should have included also on list,the antivirus,,firewall you use
may also be problem..try nming each pc...like my1...my2...theres spot for netwowk id..in system tab advanced properties.network id part..i play wow on multiple pcs same wireless router,,i use
netgear.router,,ave cable internet,,may be big issue with linksys,,suggest google searching.. linksys router snd pc sharing connection to wow problems see if others had same issue,,found workaround,also i use windows 7..win8..might also try home grouping pcs same group.but winxp barely knows.ip4..cant use ip6 dont think.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]