Abolish the daily valor points from heroics

90 Draenei Shaman
The system is fine and it prohibits rapid gear progression which has been more of a problem in past expansions than someone thinking they ABSOLUTELY have to log in every day and run for the daily limit.

Lol, you are still getting only 490. Most peices are worth a minimum of 1650. Your not significantly getting you gear faster.
03/17/2011 11:15 AMPosted by Warscar
REJOICE MY BROTHERS! WE HAVE BEEN HEARD. DRINK AND BE MERRY! LAY AND GET LAID!

Hey, Everybody! We're all going to get laid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvdvoQgAy8
Community Manager
03/14/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Wasselin
Instead of having a daily cap of 70 valor points a day, make it a weekly cap of 490 valor points a week from heroic 5man dungeons. Would that ruin the game?

Nope. In fact, this is exactly what we're doing in 4.1. :)

Right now, you receive 70 VP for the first random Cataclysm Heroic dungeon you complete each day. In 4.1, you'll receive 70 VP for the first seven random Cataclysm Heroic dungeons you complete each week. Similarly, you'll receive 140 VP for the first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroic dungeons (the new Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub instances) you complete in the week, too. Collectively, you'll be able to earn up to 980 VP max exclusively from Heroic dungeons, which in turn will count towards your weekly 1250 VP cap.

By transitioning random Heroic dungeon rewards from a daily format to a weekly one, we'll be able to give players more control and flexibility over how they can earn VP -- which is cool! -- but this also means that we've a lot more bookkeeping to do in terms of where those points are coming from. To help with that, we're adding a "Valor Point bar" (similar to an XP bar) to the top of Dungeon Finder UI that will track your weekly cap, as well as how many Heroics you can still run for VP during the week.

We're going to be writing up a pretty big blog about that system since it's somewhat complicated, but here's what you can take away right now:

• In 4.1, running random Heroic dungeons for VP is now something you can do on your own schedule. Feel like spending your entire Saturday queuing up as random? No problem!

• The first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroics you run for the week will award 140 VP each. This is double the VP that you’ll receive from your first seven random "tier 1" Cataclysm Heroics, since the dungeons are considered a "step up" in difficulty.

• You'll be able to randomly queue for the Rise of the Zandalari Heroics separately from the tier 1 Cataclysm Heroic dungeons.

• Each week you can earn up to 980 VP just by running random Heroic dungeons. If you want to maximize your VP gains, you can still reach the overall weekly cap of 1250 by defeating raid level content.

This isn't yet on the PTR for testing. We'll let you know when it is, though, and will continue to provide more information as the development of 4.1 progresses.

03/14/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Xmc
Some people don't have time to log in every day, but have, for instance, a lot of time on the weekend to play.

We hear you, and we agree that asking players log in every day (or night) just to keep pace with their VP is a bit unreasonable and can sometimes lead to World of Warcraft feeling less like a game and more like a job. That's ultimately why we're making these changes. We want you to log in because you enjoy raiding, or questing, or -- in this case -- running dungeons, not because you feel like you need to complete a specific chore every day in order to stay viable/competitive.
Edited by Lylirra on 3/18/2011 1:55 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Instead of having a daily cap of 70 valor points a day, make it a weekly cap of 490 valor points a week from heroic 5man dungeons. Would that ruin the game?

Right now, you receive 70 VP for the first random Cataclysm Heroic dungeon you complete each day. In 4.1, you'll receive 70 VP for the first seven random Cataclysm Heroic dungeons you complete each week. Similarly, you'll receive 140 VP for the first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroic dungeons (the new Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub instances) you complete in the week, too. Collectively, you'll be able to earn up to 980 VP exclusively from Heroic dungeons, which in turn will count towards your weekly 1250 VP cap.

By transitioning random Heroic dungeon rewards from a daily format to a weekly one, we'll be able to give players more control and flexibility over how they can earn VP -- which is cool! -- but this also means that we've a lot more bookkeeping to do in terms of where those points are coming from. To help with that, we're adding a "Valor Point bar" (similar to an XP bar) to the top of Dungeon Finder UI that will track your weekly cap, as well as how many Heroics you can still run for VP during the week.

We're going to be writing up a pretty big blog about that system since it's somewhat complicated, but here's what you can take away right now:

• In 4.1, running random Heroic dungeons for VP is now something you can do on your own schedule. Feel like spending your entire Saturday queuing up as random? No problem!

• The first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroics you run for the week will award 140 VP each. This is double the VP that you’ll receive from your first seven random "tier 1" Cataclysm Heroics, since the dungeons are considered a "step up" in difficulty.

• You'll be able to randomly queue for the Rise of the Zandalari Heroics separately from the tier 1 Cataclysm Heroic dungeons.

• Each week you can earn up to 980 VP just by running random Heroic dungeons. If you want to maximize your VP gains, you can still reach the overall weekly cap of 1250 by defeating raid level content.

This isn't yet on the PTR for testing. We'll let you know when it is, though, and will continue to provide more information as the development of 4.1 progresses.

Some people don't have time to log in every day, but have, for instance, a lot of time on the weekend to play.

We hear you, and we agree that asking players log in every day (or night) just to keep pace with their VP is a bit unreasonable and can sometimes lead to World of Warcraft feeling less like a game and more like a job. That's ultimately why we're making these changes. We want you to log in because you enjoy raiding, or questing, or -- in this case -- running dungeons, not because you feel like you need to complete a specific chore every day in order to stay viable/competitive.

I hope you understand how good it feels to read a post like this. Thank you. Things in 4.1 should have a turn from grindy to ----> "gearing up, and blowin stuff up" mode.
Edited by Nightchaos on 3/18/2011 10:15 AM PDT
85 Human Hunter
@ lyr

Great post! Appreciate all the feedback you provide!
90 Undead Rogue
03/18/2011 10:09 AMPosted by Lylirra

Love this change. Thank you!
90 Night Elf Druid
03/18/2011 10:14 AMPosted by Reefermadnez
Will there be an option for people like me who have only recently hit the level cap and would like to instead focus on getting more JP than VP. I'm using the JP to buy heirlooms for my alts but it takes a long time. I know VP isn't worthless but I'm not raiding on this toon and my gear is more than adequate for JP farming. It seems like this change will slightly reduce the rate at which I can earn JP.

I personally welcome more VP, than JP. Sense JP only gets me 20 ore (or heirlooms which I don't have, but I have next to all of the ones i'm ever going to buy), while VP gets me upgrades.
85 Orc Warrior
I'm excited for 4.1 because of this news.
85 Gnome Warlock
Hallelujah
85 Undead Warrior
Thats really good for people like me who really only get 2-3 times a week to play for enough time to even run heroics
Honestly, the whole weekly cap for valor points doesn't make sense, considering the already hard limits in the game from raid bosses and the dungeon finder. There really shouldn't be the 1250 cap per week, and it should be abolished. Otherwise, it makes no sense that we can only defeat raid bosses once a week...

if you were to run all 13 raid bosses on 10 man normal, plus the weekly limit from the dungeon finder in 4.1, that'd be 1890 VP a week, which is only what, one piece of equipment a week? The weekly cap just makes 640 of these points go to waste.
Edited by Gurloz on 3/18/2011 10:31 AM PDT
85 Worgen Warrior
I believe this is already being worked on for 4.1. Our info guru in our guild linked a blue post.
85 Gnome Warlock
03/18/2011 10:23 AMPosted by Tracert
Yay for casuals, but those that clear 12/12 will have quite a waste in VP if they do the max weekly heroics as well.

Why in the hell would they want to?

In before, "Only do enough heroics past your 12/12 to get the cap then." The point I'm trying to make is the separation of clearing "raid" content compared to a 5-man is not as rewarding.

Not having to do repetitive, easy dungeons is part of your reward for clearing raid content. Along with ya know, the gear and such.
90 Draenei Death Knight
Very sensible change.
85 Worgen Death Knight
03/18/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Undertow

Love this change. Thank you!

This!
85 Worgen Druid
Any plans on implementing a similar system for dailies like cooking and fishing ? (Turning daily rewards like skill up, cooking award etc.. into weeky)
Edited by Ramkir on 3/18/2011 10:30 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Hunter
I rarely even run my daily anymore because i am so burned out on the grind
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]