High Level Guards Ruin World PVP

55 Blood Elf Paladin

Or you could and I know this may be crazy but hear me out. You could not tunnel vision on your target and blindly run into a town.

You only have to be close enough to the town for them to run to the guards(Not that far, really), and the guards will aggro you.

I don't chase people into the towns, I like not having 15 min respawn timers.
85 Night Elf Druid

There's nothing to stop me from camping lowbies while they're out questing.

No, there's not, but the vast majority of the time in WOTLK when people would harass lowbies it was by camping on the roof of Darkshire, or Redridge, or Tarren Mill or whatever, and picking off anyone who went in to turn in quests.
That's fun for the one max level person who is doing it, and miserable for everyone trying to quest out there.
I don't understand why people think that's the only fun thing for them to do, but if those people don't play anymore then I won't shed a tear.
As for high level guards attacking you near opposing faction towns, just don't go near them.
55 Blood Elf Paladin

You can queue up to kill lowbies in an instance now?

Yes, you can actually.
If you're level X9, you can kill any level X0 players who happen to be in that BG.
Ex:
A level 19 vs a level 10 in WSG.
Who wins?
03/17/2011 3:30 PMPosted by Jackise
Remember back in the day when a group of horde would pillage a town and you could not quest. Blizz doesn't want it that way.

I remember the good ol' days of Tarren Mill vs Southshore.

Needless to say, I miss them.
85 Night Elf Druid
Anyway, usually I don't see level 85 guards in a low level town unless I go into the middle of it. If I go into Thrallmar, for example, it's full of level 60 guards until I attack them, and then 85s just spawn out of nowhere.
A level 85 patrol guard is probably not intended and should be removed.
55 Blood Elf Paladin
No, there's not, but the vast majority of the time in WOTLK when people would harass lowbies it was by camping on the roof of Darkshire, or Redridge, or Tarren Mill or whatever, and picking off anyone who went in to turn in quests.
That's fun for the one max level person who is doing it, and miserable for everyone trying to quest out there.
I don't understand why people think that's the only fun thing for them to do, but if those people don't play anymore then I won't shed a tear.
As for high level guards attacking you near opposing faction towns, just don't go near them.

How would level relative guards have any effect on that exactly?
Rooftop camping is considered an exploit, and can get you a vacation.
85 Night Elf Druid

its funny that i rarly see low lvls complaining about this. its always a max or a max lvls obvious alt.

It's funny how you don't even have a point...
20 Draenei Hunter

You can queue up to kill lowbies in an instance now?

Yes, you can actually.
If you're level X9, you can kill any level X0 players who happen to be in that BG.
Ex:
A level 19 vs a level 10 in WSG.
Who wins?

Someone hasn't been keeping up with the BG changes. All BGs are now set per 5 lvs (x0-x4, x5-x9) to prevent that sort of match up.
85 Night Elf Druid

How would level relative guards have any effect on that exactly?
Rooftop camping is considered an exploit, and can get you a vacation.

It was only an exploit if they used wall-jumping to get up there. That's beside the point anyway.
Relative level guards would be fine, I just don't see that happening. That's kind of how it's supposed to be now, but I don't think they're going to code in level 73 guards to come if you attack on a level 73.
55 Blood Elf Paladin

Someone hasn't been keeping up with the BG changes. All BGs are now set per 5 lvs (x0-x4, x5-x9) to prevent that sort of match up.

This someone doesn't usually do BGs, as you can see from my history.
I think I did 5 yesterday, which is the first time I've been in any BG for 2 years.

It was only an exploit if they used wall-jumping to get up there. That's beside the point anyway.
Relative level guards would be fine, I just don't see that happening. That's kind of how it's supposed to be now, but I don't think they're going to code in level 73 guards to come if you attack on a level 73.

Untrue.
If the guards are unable to path to you, it's considered griefing , and an exploit.

Have the guards spawn with a level in multiples of 5, rounded up.
Ie:
Level 45 Attacks something, Level 45 guards spawn
Level 46 Attacks something, level 50 guards spawn.
Level 47 Attacks something, level 50 guards spawn.
Level 48 Attacks something, level 50 guards spawn.

It'd at least give you a chance to run away, instead of being one shotted one or two times as you try to corpse hop away.
Community Manager
Hrm, I reckon it's rewards that ruined world PvP. Everyone harkens back to TM/SS as the holy grail of world PvP, and that was before and maybe slightly after the honor system was implemented (but before real rewards existed from it). I think you can encourage world PvP all you want, and if there aren't rewards behind it you'll keep people interested for about as long as it takes them to realize there are other things to do that give real power increases. Why would anyone spend any amount of time just pushing back and forth for no reason when you can spend your time toward actual rewards and character improvement? Maybe there are some of you, but I guarantee it'd be short lived.

I mean shoot, you have Isle of Quel'Danas or even quest hubs in Cataclysm where people are literally forced together, and there's complaints that they just want people to stop PvPing so they can get their stuff done so they can get their rewards. That's kind of unfair because I know many did enjoy those situations, but somehow it never meets the awesomeness of TM/SS, and I reckon it just never could again.

The best I can think that you could do is create a specific world PvP zone where you don't allow flying mounts, give some objective to tug-o-war over, and so you can justify giving some semi-meaningful rewards and keep people interested you'd need to find some way to even up the sides (because world PvP is inherently going to be unfair). I think you do all that and you probably have the best working solution for bringing back world PvP.
85 Gnome Warlock
All ya need to do, bashiok, is to have another city like dalaran with useful stuff and that both factions are in, take away the sactuary part, and have 0 guards.

Instant, endless world pvp. And framerates of 1-2, but hey.
85 Human Warrior
03/17/2011 4:10 PMPosted by Bashiok
Hrm, I reckon it's rewards that ruined world PvP.

this is true

it's pathetic how players will not do something because how it has no rewards yet will still QQ about how "we have no PvE/PvP content!"
85 Worgen Rogue
03/17/2011 4:10 PMPosted by Bashiok
The best I can think that you could do is create a specific world PvP zone where you don't allow flying mounts, give some objective to tug-o-war over, and so you can justify giving some semi-meaningful rewards and keep people interested you'd need to find some way to even up the sides (because world PvP is inherently going to be unfair). I think you do all that and you probably have the best working solution for bringing back world PvP.

So, basically, you bring back World PvP by creating a single-realm Battleground that only so many people can get into at once and that favors the minority faction?

I'm not really buying this argument.
85 Tauren Shaman
The point of this thread was to illicit discussion on the subject.
Obviously "Joseph", and yourself are unable to do so.

Explain to me exactly how spawning guards relative to the attacking players' level is a bad idea.
This change would help stimulate world PVP.

When blizzard seperated PvP gear from PvE gear, world pvp started to die. Resil is the prime reason.
Yeah the addition of resilience killed world pvp, with its damage reduction effects. Couldn't be the fact that no one goes out in the world because there is no incentives to really be anywhere but a city. When people do leave they have majestic creatures called flying mounts that most people fly over players without even noticing. Seriously how simple can your though process be to say MAN RESIL MADE IT SO NO ONE WANTS TO FIGHT ANYMORE THIS STAT THAT BETTERS THEM VS PLAYERS JUST MAKES THEM STOP FIGHTING.

Now about the guards, yeah they're ridiculous even at max level to fight, hopefully they get a slight nerf via effected by resilience, maybe less health too.
03/17/2011 3:30 PMPosted by Jackise
Remember back in the day when a group of horde would pillage a town and you could not quest. Blizz doesn't want it that way.

Then a group of alliance would have to actually fight for the right to quest.

/gasp World PvP

85 Human Paladin
1 thing i never understood what does OP mean when they talk about the thread starter? i always assumed it was old poster, (whenever i read op i "hear?" old peen in my head, i know, i'm weird heh)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]