Realm Population

63 Draenei Warrior
I have noticed that when playing that I virtually never see another player, even in Stormwind and other capitals. I think this is a bit of a problem considering this is an MMO. After doing some research I found that a total of 1,167 (291 Alliance and 876 Horde) players in this realm. Based on what i have found this is the next to lowest population on a U.S. server. This seems to be a problem, as I have read in other threads the economy on this realm is a problem, particularly for the Alliance.

I simply want to know if others think these numbers are accurate or if they are flawed. Do you think the low population is a problem? Should/can Blizzard do something to fix this?

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=693&factionid=-1&minlevel=20&maxlevel=85&servertypeid=-1
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
the information on sites like that are so grossly inaccurate that it's not even funny. only blizzard can give ACCURATE numbers and they never will.

from the armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/blackwing-lair/programmed%20to%20be%20awesome/

Programmed to be Awesome
Level 19 Alliance Guild,
Blackwing Lair
552 members

if one alliance guild alone has 552 members (159 of which are lvl 85), how can there be 291 alliance total as that site claims?
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Warrior
The Alliance population is certainly low, but that data is inaccurate. The website itself states in no uncertain terms if you take a look at the second link you provided. Additionally, the reported data only indicates characters that have been recently active, and doesn't actually show how many characters are present, how many accounts are present (active or otherwise), and how many characters there are per account.

Data on that site definitely can be useful since Blizzard does not release data (except for labeling a server as Low, Medium and High) and has not hinted (AFAIK) at releasing data in the future. However, that site is dependent on people with active accounts running a certain add-on while playing and submitting un-edited data generated by that add-on.

I run this add-on, and it gives very good data and snapshots on servers where there are much more than FIVE data entries for an entire MONTH.

I've been meaning to capture data for BWL, but so far I've only captured significant data for my current server and faction, some data for the other faction on my server, and some data for one of the factions on a high population server with few data entries.

I think low population factions on PvP servers are a problem. Blizzard seems to have addressed this a little by creating battlegroups for cross-realm battlegrounds and eventually cross-realm dungeons. This still doesn't fix world PvP and a weak economy. I'm not sure what Blizzard should do about low population realms and factions, but until a better solution is implemented, I'm going to avoid participating on such servers until there's a worthwhile reason to do so.
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Paladin
03/12/2011 2:20 PMPosted by Missbish
if one alliance guild alone has 552 members (159 of which are lvl 85), how can there be 291 alliance total as that site claims?

Alts
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

Alts

of course they are. i never said they weren't alts. i was simply using that as an example to show that there are more than just 291 total alliance on this server.

if one guild has almost twice and many alts/mains than the "total number" for their faction on the server, the information is inaccurate. yes?
Edited by Missbish on 3/12/2011 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Paladin
I was implying that chances are their guild doesn't have 291 active members.

I'm not trying to start something with you.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior

wanna fight about it bro!?
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Paladin
Who in their right mind would play alliance here anyway?

03/13/2011 9:45 PMPosted by Missbish
or are you just desperately trying to get someone to pay attention to you, as usual

herp derp
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

wanna fight about it bro!?

I would fight you but your helm might try to eat my face as well
Edited by Evilme on 3/14/2011 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
03/13/2011 9:45 PMPosted by Missbish
it's a well known fact that sites like warcraftrealms and wowprogress are extremely inaccurate and in no way reflect the actual numbers on realms because of the fact that all their information relies on people using their addons.

Wowprogress bases their population statistics on raiding. From the bottom of the realm page:

* Population - amount of level 80 characters that meet any of the two conditions:
- The character is from a guild and the guild killed at least 10-man Lord Marrowgar
- The character killed at least 10-man Lord Marrowgar

Theres a lot of people who put no effort into raiding, and theres a ton of people who raid on multiple toons, so it really is pretty innacurate.

Regardless, bwl is low pop, but theres a lot of low pop realms out there, so it's something we gotta live with till blizz opens up free realm transfers.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
install the addon from warcraftrealms.com, use a toon on BWL or make one on each side.
scan

compare results with what the site is stating

damn they are pretty close to reality!

on another note, yes the site it's innacurate but it gives a general idea of the pop. as I was saying before if u do a scan by urself u can see it's pretty damn close to what the site it's saying : horde dominates BWL.

Finally, if u really think about it : Blizz it's a company, and theyre primary goal it's to make money. It costs 25$ to transfer and 30$ to change faction.

So let's just say ur tired of BWL and u want to transfer to a realm where there are more real players then NPCs, a realm that is not BWL!!!

It's gonna cost u 25$ for each toon u want to transfer. Let's assume u have 3 toons. BAM 75$!!! Why the hell would they "fix" the problems?! It makes them make money!

Just re-roll on a decent alliance realm.
Bye
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Warrior
install the addon from warcraftrealms.com, use a toon on BWL or make one on each side.
scan

compare results with what the site is stating

Even using the add-on, one scan isn't going to give reliable data. The data you gather might not vary much from the data one could expect to find for one faction at a particular time of day, but it will undoubtedly miss many active characters.

Ideally, you'd have results from multiple people running the Census+ add-on for both factions, but it appears that no one that regularly plays on this server uses that add-on.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
@Celegorm Why ur making stats for some class u take in college or something?

If u scan the realm with an alliance toon and u get 200 players
and from a horde toon u get 800 toons well, it's pretty clear horde dominates the realm.

Now do that every day for 1 week and u get the same amount or close to, I guess u can pretty much assume the realm it's horde dominated and not a good idea to roll alliance in there.

And for the time thing, be sure u scan around the hours you play. I play on weekends from 5 to 10 pm so what interest me it's that time not Monday morning at 9 am when I'm at work thus I can't play.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Hello Ztop, goblin shaman from BWL.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Warrior
03/14/2011 12:36 PMPosted by Sardaukarz
@Celegorm Why ur making stats for some class u take in college or something?

I'm not sure what you mean by "making stats for some class."
If you're asking if I use the CensusPlus add-on, I do indeed as I implied with my first post in this thread. Why do I use it? Because I value the attempt made by the administrator of WarcraftRealms.com to identify the characteristics of realm populations.

If this doesn't answer your question, I'm afraid I can't understand it without additional clarification or re-phrasing.

If u scan the realm with an alliance toon and u get 200 players
and from a horde toon u get 800 toons well, it's pretty clear horde dominates the realm.

Certainly, a wide margin between data collected during a single scan for each faction can be indicative of a population imbalance, but it's important to understand that there are a limited number of conclusions that can be drawn from this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]